U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,492,700 times

Advertisements

Has anyone watched this 4 part documentary series on HBO? It's about Jimmy Iovine and DR Dre. The first 2 hours are about their early lives and the other 2 are once their lives intersect via Interscope/Death Row records.
I found it very interesting. I think you could have had the full 4 parts just about Iovine. I'd always heard his name and knew he was a big player but I guess I didn't know how big he is/was.
Otoh, I found it eye opening in regards to the gangster lifestyle. It's a real chicken or the egg situation bc except for Eazy E, none of the NWA members fit the idea of gangsters. Even when you get into the Death Row era, only Suge Knight is a full out thug. Tupac actually appears to start out as a social justice rapper.
Even to this day, Dre and Cube are mainstream, successful businessmen while Suge is a thug until the end. I guess work ethic has a lot to do with it, too. The former 2 were working since they were teenagers while Suge saunters in decades later with brass knuckles and guns. The story wasn't told here but I remember a Vanilla Ice almost getting murdered by Suge if he didn't sign over the Ice, Ice Baby rights.
Jimmy Iovine pretty much produced the best albums of everyone he worked with.
I highly recommend this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:04 AM

3,568 posts, read 4,195,255 times
Thanks. I have this recorded, but wasn't sure about watching it. I'll give it try.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
I've enjoyed it. Really interesting. I'd like to rewatch Straight Outta Compton after seeing this as well.

Agree about the work ethic part.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 AM

4,935 posts, read 2,014,218 times
It was interesting for sure. The entire Beats thing was funny as those are without doubt the worst headphones on the market, especially at that price point. Apple are idiots, but have money to sink in whatever floats by.

As to Suge, he's a scumbag but definitely not a street thug. Guy did go to college and played for a second in the NFL. Eazy-E was the only one with any actual street cred. The rest just made money on it.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
It was interesting for sure. The entire Beats thing was funny as those are without doubt the worst headphones on the market, especially at that price point. Apple are idiots, but have money to sink in whatever floats by.

As to Suge, he's a scumbag but definitely not a street thug. Guy did go to college and played for a second in the NFL. Eazy-E was the only one with any actual street cred. The rest just made money on it.
Wow, that makes Suge's story even more sad.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post

Meant to say that I hear a lot of music lovers diss Beats. I got a free pair with my MacBook. I like them but I also don't know the difference between $5 and $5000 wine.
Is it that the bass is too much? Are they designed for certain genres/instruments instead of music in general?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Spoiler
I wish that there was a part 2 that dealt more with the Reznor and Manson era. Manson (like him or not) was blamed for Columbine and became public enemy #1. Also, Reznor had a huge falling out with Interscope that I never understood even though it appears that they made up since he was sitting on the private plane in the doc.
My favorite part was the video of Stevie recording edge of 17 with Jimmy dancing
On another note, it was interesting to see him marry the woman whose husband was cheating on her with Kristen Stewart. Guess she traded way up.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM

4,935 posts, read 2,014,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Meant to say that I hear a lot of music lovers diss Beats. I got a free pair with my MacBook. I like them but I also don't know the difference between $5 and $5000 wine.
Is it that the bass is too much? Are they designed for certain genres/instruments instead of music in general?
Yeah, the tuning is bad and has too much bass. But hey, free is free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV