Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:26 PM

20,328 posts, read 14,547,380 times

Advertisements

I objected to other things like the Ghostbuster's remake--that to me did not make sense and was not necessary. I loved the original films, and I saw several trailers of the new one, and it didn't seem funny. It was too...chick shtick... I found that whole thing annoying as heck.

But THIS?? Like this could be one of the very few characters in fiction where it totally makes perfect sense to just have it be a lady for a change. Why not?? And from what little I have seen, I think there is promise that she'll pull off the attitude. I'm down. Let's see how this plays.

As for Capaldi... You know, I have a thing for older guys, and I actually thought he was pretty hot. But something about his episodes. They just did not grab me. After the delightful blend of whimsy and darkness that we had with Smith, and the epicness of Ten, and all...there was something lacking in Capaldi's episodes, that I just don't think was Capaldi's fault. I guess the writing. ?? Unfortunate in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Thank you for your comments. I still disagree with tampering with the gender. Is the Doctor an alien? Sure. But, the changing genders option is a fairly recent introduced option (correct me if I am wrong). The character was originally created as a male figure, and should remain so.

But, like I said, if it is all due to creativity, I am allowing for that. But, it is interesting to note about the recent changes including the change in gender of the Doctor.
So aliens have earth based gender biases?

Google "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Old 07-18-2017, 06:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,032,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
we have "actor" for a male actor and "actress" for a female actor, but not "doctress" for a female doctor
It's "Doctorette."

Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times
The irony of this is that when the Dr. Who franchise was launched, the protagonist essentially had to be male - a sci-fi series with a female were not viable, or at least were not seen as such. Thus, the maleness of the lead was basically required.

Finally, over half a century later, it just might be possible to cast the lead without requiring one gender over the other. The result? Cries of "OMG, political correctness!"

Some are saying that Dr. Who can to be a woman. Others are saying that Dr. Who has to be a man.

I'll let you figure out which of those is a form of political correctness.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 7,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The irony of this is that when the Dr. Who franchise was launched, the protagonist essentially had to be male - a sci-fi series with a female were not viable, or at least were not seen as such. Thus, the maleness of the lead was basically required.

Finally, over half a century later, it just might be possible to cast the lead without requiring one gender over the other. The result? Cries of "OMG, political correctness!"

Some are saying that Dr. Who can to be a woman. Others are saying that Dr. Who has to be a man.

I'll let you figure out which of those is a form of political correctness.
Imagine the outrage if in a few years the next Doctor Who is someone like Rizwan Ahmed.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Thank you for your comments. I still disagree with tampering with the gender. Is the Doctor an alien? Sure. But, the changing genders option is a fairly recent introduced option (correct me if I am wrong). The character was originally created as a male figure, and should remain so.

But, like I said, if it is all due to creativity, I am allowing for that. But, it is interesting to note about the recent changes including the change in gender of the Doctor.
Yes, you are wrong. Read the background on the character. The alien ALWAYS had the option to choose whatever human body it wanted. There is no mythology associated with the choice of a human white male. Changing gender or race is actually making the show's mythology more accurate.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:48 AM

20,328 posts, read 14,547,380 times
I saw a clickbait in my Facebook feed this morning that some major press publication just put out nude photos of the actress. Fantastic. You know, I do NOT consider myself a feminist for a number of reasons, but if anything this is some really annoying ish that women of any fame whatsoever have to worry about, and men really don't so much. There is always the chance that somebody's going to be all "OMG she has a female body under those clothes, let's scrounge the depths of the internets and the dark corners of her personal life to see if we can find photographic evidence of her filthy female nudity somewhere, and show it to everybody! Tee hee! Let's see if we can make her feel violated, since she dared to violate our gender preferences in a fictional TV show role!" Eff that. I'm just sayin'. For pete's sakes everybody has a body, it would be fantastic if we could maybe stop acting like a bunch of snickering middle-schoolers about such things. Actually, correct that, I am fairly certain my sons were more mature when they were in middle school.

Don't mistake this post for outrage. It's not. It's more like a sigh and a facepalm and a wish people would not be so dumb.

I did not click the article, so maybe I am lucky and it's either fake or a gross overstatement of the situation. Regardless, these things have happened enough to famous women that it is irritating. Maybe more famous men should do nude shoots so that the whole thing can simmer down, 'cause I don't know which is worse, the sharing of such images or the "scandal" of them, in terms of what makes the victim of such a leak feel violated by it. Maybe if no one cared, it wouldn't feel so icky.

Feh. People.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM

17,495 posts, read 15,086,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Imagine the outrage if in a few years the next Doctor Who is someone like Rizwan Ahmed.
I was actually hoping for Richard Ayoade. He could either be the best or worst doctor of all time.

I don't have a problem with anyone in the role especially.. But don't do it the way they did this one, and I would say that they shouldn't do 'stunt' casting.. And the foreshadowing really leads me to feeling that's what this is. So.. Don't follow up the first woman with the first something else and don't telegraph it. Just do it.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 PM

322 posts, read 274,493 times
If Tony Danza ever makes a guest appearance it would be called "Who's the Boss?"

Old 07-23-2017, 05:43 PM

9,944 posts, read 5,618,641 times
Since nobody else has yet, I guess it's up to me...

Are they putting a kitchen in the TARDIS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV