U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 394,093 times

Advertisements

If they were going to do it for free, hell yes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:47 PM

4,043 posts, read 4,962,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't find them appealing to look at, or the sound of their voices.
During the holidays there was a commercial on HGTV with the Property Bro and their families sitting around a campfire singing "Home on the Range"

You would have barfed!

Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM

599 posts, read 293,164 times
I like what they do architecturally with the spaces very much. However their interior decorating aesthetic generally repulses me.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM

19,057 posts, read 10,093,838 times
I generally like their style but I would never give someone decision making authority for what goes into my house. I would look at their suggestions, but want to be the one to make all the final choices. So I would not be a candidate for any of these shows, as they all want to be able to surprise the homeowner with the big reveal. Never gonna happen as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 25,842,934 times
I'll tell you who I wouldn't allow to touch my house is Cristina of Tarek and Christina. She has awful gaudy taste and puts the same thing into every house and all of it not good, even if she insists she must have the most expensive one. And laminate floors in everything, just "no thank you".

I don't like the Property Brothers for the big cost overruns that anyone could see just by looking around before they got started., Um... just where did you think the venting for the heat upstairs was running? If I can see the roof is bad from outside the TV from ground level, why can't you see that before you are halfway finished. Mid project is not when you discover that is a bearing wall, when it is a very easy thing to determine before you start.

I like Chip and Joanna for the careful workmanship and getting everything done right, even if it doesn't show once the walls are closed up. I don't care for the cutesy signs and decorations, but love the custom furniture and the excellent basic design.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM

19,057 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'll tell you who I wouldn't allow to touch my house is Cristina of Tarek and Christina. She has awful gaudy taste and puts the same thing into every house and all of it not good, even if she insists she must have the most expensive one. And laminate floors in everything, just "no thank you".

I don't like the Property Brothers for the big cost overruns that anyone could see just by looking around before they got started., Um... just where did you think the venting for the heat upstairs was running? If I can see the roof is bad from outside the TV from ground level, why can't you see that before you are halfway finished. Mid project is not when you discover that is a bearing wall, when it is a very easy thing to determine before you start.

I like Chip and Joanna for the careful workmanship and getting everything done right, even if it doesn't show once the walls are closed up. I don't care for the cutesy signs and decorations, but love the custom furniture and the excellent basic design.
That furniture doesn't actually stay in the house from what I've read, it's just staging so it looks good for the reveal.

As for the cost overruns on PB, that's all scripted. Chip and Joanna also always have a scripted "Oh, this is going to cost a little extra!" moment, although theirs tend to be much more minimally priced items. But I actually think that it's a good thing that these shows demonstrate that you have to have a contingency fund and you are almost guaranteed to have unexpected expenses arise when you are doing a major renovation.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:40 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,410,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That furniture doesn't actually stay in the house from what I've read, it's just staging so it looks good for the reveal.

As for the cost overruns on PB, that's all scripted. Chip and Joanna also always have a scripted "Oh, this is going to cost a little extra!" moment, although theirs tend to be much more minimally priced items. But I actually think that it's a good thing that these shows demonstrate that you have to have a contingency fund and you are almost guaranteed to have unexpected expenses arise when you are doing a major renovation.
The PBers constantly mention a contingency fund when it comes to change requests or repairs. What always drives me nuts about the show, and chances are that it is scripted, is when the homeowners complain and state they don't have the money for repairs, but have no problem stating that they want some crazy cost light fixture or whatever.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Nicole is definitely my favorite but since I don't have cable I have to watch HGTV on Netflix or Hulu and I haven't seen Nicole on in a while.

I could probably put a door leading into the kitchen easy enough but it's in the back behind the living room with the dining room steps away. I only have 1 furkid and she never bothers me in the kitchen, at least not in the condo I am in now. That might change when I am in a bigger place.
Nicole hasn't had any new shows for a while. Mostly its flip shows and look alike refirbs, Yawn. Sometimes I watch them just to laugh at the people who have a perfectly liveable house, and are struggling with this small budget, and obsess about how they 'must' fix it up now.... Oh how much they have to learn.

I'm thinking of making a wood door which has small enough holes to keep cats out but gives them and the dogs a way to look in and airflow. They seem to need that. But if I'm cooking and I want to sit something out, I want it still there if I walk out of the room. My dogs are especially smart. You never see anything be grabbed, just look back and its not there. They know better about staring at the spot too. Should my smaller dog or a cat aim at something however, he barks at them, even intervenes if there's a fight.... He also polices any cat arguments, even if I'm not in the room. He's a great dog. Definatly the four legged alpha.

He's rather special to me too. I was afraid of bigger dogs, and had no idea how tall he'd get, but he's shown its not the size, its the temperment.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Quote:
I generally like their style but I would never give someone decision making authority for what goes into my house. I would look at their suggestions, but want to be the one to make all the final choices. So I would not be a candidate for any of these shows, as they all want to be able to surprise the homeowner with the big reveal. Never gonna happen as far as I'm concerned.
I don't think they need to be professionals to assume they just know best. The people who worked on my house are locals, mostly who do fixits and the like. I showed them the dark blue paint for the walls, and the neighbor tried to argue me into doing *white*.

I hate all these houses with mostly white or almost white walls, hardly ever anything dark. If I was to buy a house which had been painted all white, the FIRST thing would be repainting it some cool dark tones. I wonder if any of their clients in these shows who get a surprise reveal just stare at it and say its TOO much white..... of course they don't show that.

Nobody does a 'surprise' redo of my house....

Old 07-19-2017, 10:35 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,882,932 times
Quote:
Watch the Flip or Flop Vegas couple. Christina will look like the most brilliant designer ever. Aubrey (Vegas girl) stages her own houses too. Heavy on fake furry pillows and accents.
Pink master bedroom?

Or how about a purple condo? Even the kitchen sink is purple!

As I said, Christina now equals design genius.

Quote:
Quote:
The custom pieces (like something Clint may build) stays. Sometimes the owners own furniture is used. As for the rest, they can purchase any of it. Whatever they don't want to purchase is removed after the reveal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or