Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
They're cute
Yes they are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm happy with my house and wouldn't change a thing (well, except the location of my closet door but that's not a design issue.)

If I wanted to renovate, and if forced to choose between Joanna Gaines and the Property bros, I'd go with the latter in a heartbeat.

But neither would be on my short list of TV designers, and I wouldn't let anyone talk me into wallpaper, white kitchen cabinets, brass/gold hardware, barn doors, words or plants used as wall decor, or a "soaking tub".

I enjoy watching both their shows though.
I agree entirely. None of those things are what I want. MORE kitchen cabinets would be good but then so long as they were paintable I wouldn't care what they looked like. I did my own design. One of the local guys working on some reparis couldn't figure out why I painted the living room in shiny dark blue.... because I LIKE it.

My chief thing is when they insist on having a 'flow' so they take out half the walls. If I wanted to live in storage room, I'd buy one.

When I got bright yellow paint for the outside they couldn't figure out why you'd do that. But they actually said it looked good.

If I was buying a house, I'd get something like this one, older, and the right size with actual rooms. I'd really like to see someone say to the designer that it doesn't matter what's in or how much the resale value, its what I want. So do it. Also a show where the words 'We should take out this wall' are not uttered once.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Nope! It's look nice but the amount of money they spend on stupid things are over the top. Who the frack wants a $3,000 shower head? A fracking $5,000 chandelier? My freaking goodness.
Then there's the owners who are a contractors dream. They 'must have' special flooring even if its three times as much as something that looks the same. They 'must have' the most expensive countertop material. They 'must have' that wall out even if the roof has to be supported by a piece of lumber, and then because they dare not ruin perfection they must have even more work done to hide the beam.

Geesh, after putting out so much money for 'must haves' I sure hope they are sure their current income never runs into a roadblock.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:41 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have to say that every so often I forget how much I dislike their show and will try to watch. This morning they began by insulting a homeowner who decorated their home with a color palate from 5 years ago. What horror! These guys are actually what is wrong with buyers today because they perpetuate and encourage buyers to only buy the very latest. Lord forbid they have walls that are from 5 years ago. What jerks and how shallow are the buyers that fall for this crap. And if I see them destroy one more fireplace and replace it with some garbage tile that will be dated before they get to the street corner, I will just scream. Talk about bad taste. Jay

Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I wouldn't let the Property Brothers touch my Craftsman bungalow with a 10 foot tape measure. I would let Nicole Curtis install a more vintage bathroom than the 1950s era one that I have, or older cabinets in my kitchen to replace the 1990s "upgrades" the previous owners installed. I would never let anyone change out my original doors, trim, or antique heart pine floors - they're my pride and joy.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
I don't think they're cute, I find them obnoxious. I guess they don't know how to shave either. Their schtick about I'm the one who works and he doesn't thing is old and made up.

In hot climates all the designers take down the ceiling fans. I live in a hot climate. Guess what everybody wants? Ceiling fans!

And those BIG kitchen islands. Big islands so big one can't get around them, takes 2 minutes to walk around to the other side.

And they're way too modern for me.

One thing I learned watching ALL of these shows, don't ever tell them how much money you have to spend. They'll find a way to spend all of it plus some, even if some of it isn't necessary or economical.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
While they are definitely hunka hunkas, they seem to be a bit controlling over "their" design.

They argue with homeowners who want to choose things to put into their new home because they don't fit "the design". If a designer told me that, I'd tell him to hand me a pencil and I'll fix the design.

And while their homes are gorgeous, they aren't my style. They're more like super-modern-faddish.
I wouldn't let them touch my house. I like Brett Waterman from Restored and Nicole Curtis. I like Chip and Joanna too, but every once in a while even they needlessly tear stuff out. Brett Waterman's work is fantastic, he did one season on DIY, hope they bring him back.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:23 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I wouldn't let them touch my house. I like Brett Waterman from Restored and Nicole Curtis. I like Chip and Joanna too, but every once in a while even they needlessly tear stuff out. Brett Waterman's work is fantastic, he did one season on DIY, hope they bring him back.
I hope they bring him back too. I had my DVR set for his show. If he does come back, it will record it and I won't miss a new episode.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think Nichole is the only one I'd really want working on my house. My house is small but was built in 1931. It's got hardwood floors and small windows. I've painted it darker blues and have a deep gold for the kitchen. I'm going to be making a lot more shelves as well. I'm sort of going with tiny house multiuse rooms meets thirties utility.

It's interesting that we see two 'trends' in terms of the way tv shows reflect our taste in houses. There's the mini mansions with rooms I'm sure nobody even uses half the time, and huge costs (not to mention the cost of utilities). In terms of inspiration I don't see much. For a while I lived out of my car, so maybe I have a different point of view.

I like Joanna's work, and Chip isn't stuck in a style so much as his designs feel comfortable. Joanna's is beautifully simple without being plain, and very welcoming. I'll miss their show.

But when it comes to which has more inspiration for me, given my little old house, it's Nichole hands down. She mostly works in small spaces and shows how you can make a very useful room without it being crowded or huge. The show on one of the less common networks has a series dedicated to restoring the wooded turn of the century homes which are often still standing they're so well built, and the first thing they do is strip out everything added since it was built. They restore the wood and add back the delicate wood decoration, often painted over so much it doesn't show. I think its Log home living but maybe that's a different show.

Their results are mind blowing restorations of the turn of the century (that is the 18th to the 19th) which have all the wood stained perfect and the curios in place, and even in places like the kitchen where people do need things past 1900 they maintain the same atmosphere. If I had a way, that's what I'd like to do with mine.

Oh how I'd love to be able to find stuff in the style of the twenties to use on my house....

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Besides not caring for their design styles . . . I doubt I could tolerate their hyper-wired personalities for more than one minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV