U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM

11,632 posts, read 5,477,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I have a 46" Sony that is still working great. Sure it's a dumb TV, but I bought a Roku stick and now I don't need to spend money on a new TV when this one works great. Unless some REALLY great technology comes up that I HAVE to have, I will watch this one until it dies.
LOTS of people prefer a 'dumb' tv so they can choose their streaming device. Not everyone likes the apps that come with Samsung Smart TVs. Too bad there isn't a better term than 'dumb' for the ones that lack a smart-hub, since there isn't anything dumb about them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 8,745,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
when the old one dies, I usually get a new one.
Same here. Way back when, we had tvs in consoles and never thought about buying another one as long as it worked okay.

The one I have now is about a year or so old and only bought it because my old RCA monster finally died and it would cost tons more to have it repaired that buying the new style tv.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 PM

2,591 posts, read 2,891,266 times
I'm still on my first HD set, a 32 inch Sony Bravia that I purchased off Ebay back in 2008 for $650. I'm still getting my money's worth out of it, but I should replace it because it's the older CFL backlight type, not LED, so therefore it uses twice the power, around 150 watts. Compare that to the most efficient LED 32 inch sets which use as little as 50 watts. However, if you buy a 4K set, they have more arrays of LED bulbs and put you right back up there on par with the power consumption of the CFL bulb types (not to be confused with the older CRT sets that used even more power for the same size screen). The contrast will be better on a 4K set, but if you can do without that feature you will save considerably on your electric bill. Just doing some calculations, if I replaced my old Sony with a 32 inch non-4K LED type, and you can buy those for around 200, that set would pay for itself in 3 or 4 years with the electric savings.

But of course, I would not buy another 32 inch set, I would go for a 40 to 48 inch set, which will bump it up to around 100 watts, depending on how much you like to crank up the backlight setting for brightness, I like mine fairly high on my Sony, around 7 or 8 on a scale of 10 with maximum contrast settings. It makes quite a difference in power consumption. I hate the way they rate power on these new TV's, not giving you the watts per hour rating like the old days, but some energy guide thing with cost per year, under a hypothetical 8 hour per day use, which tells me less than I want to know. For any appliance, I want to know the watts per hour it uses under average settings. I go to the manufacturers site and look for the real power rating of the model I want to buy, and buried in the specifications it is usually listed, but on a TV, that rating can also vary quite a bit depending on backlight setting, sometimes using twice as much power at maximum setting, vs the low setting.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:45 AM

1,816 posts, read 979,686 times
Bought a little 21" tv, or maybe a little bigger, in the year 2000. It lasted until three or four years ago. When I went to buy a new one the only ones I could find were flatscreen tvs, and then saw the odd shape of the ones that were less than 40". They were short but wide. I thought how am I going to watch tv on something like that?? So I decided to buy one that was at least 40" if I could afford it. Ended up buying a 42" RCA on Walmart's website. It was $368 plus tax, with free shipping. Good deal at the time but now there are even better deals on Walmart's site.

I'll stick with RCA if I need a tv in the future, provided the price is good. A couple months ago they had a 55" LED on sale for $309 w/free shipping. Now it's not listed, but they do have a 55" 4k LED for $319 w/o free shipping. There are very limited RCA selections (3) on Walmart's site right now. Hope they continue carrying them. I love the one I have now and get compliments on the picture quality from friends who have owned more flat screen tvs than I have. If I buy one from Walmart's site again I'll make sure to wait until they are offering free shipping. They change which brands they offer it on from time to time. Right now I think they are charging nearly $50 shipping on the 55" 4k LED. With tax it would end up close to $400 if not more.

Odds are I wont buy another tv until this one dies out. Shortly after I bought it I read an article which stated most flatscreen tvs only last 3-5 years. Hope that isn't true because I'm within that range now.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 AM

2,508 posts, read 996,370 times
I just replace a 50" Samsung DLP that was 12 years old. The picture was starting to dim and while it could've maybe been fixed, at that age its time had come. Replaced it with a 55" Samsung 4K UHD and the picture is amazing. Things that are shot in 4K are unbelievable and the TV will upscale almost everything else to 1080p.

It also has the Smart Hub and an internet browser. The only thing I wish you could do is download other apps, but no dice. As it is, it does have a good app selection. TV's are relatively cheap these days. Mine was $800, which I thought was pretty good for what it does.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:43 PM

700 posts, read 623,656 times
The general consensus I've gotten seems to be that if I want a bigger TV, it'd be worth upgrading, but it's not necessarily worth it to constantly buy new ones just for the latest bells and whistles (If it says much, I just finally replaced a 10 year old flatscreen PC monitor ).

Do "dumb" TV's typically offer more screen size for the money than smart TV's? From what I can tell, the smart TV software seems pointless if you want to use separate devices (i.e - Roku, FireTV, game consoles, etc) for streaming content.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,117,237 times
My tv is probably 5 years old. 32 inches and I barely watch it. I will buy a new tv when this one dies.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 AM

4,787 posts, read 4,671,757 times
This one I am on right now is about nine years old. I will use it until it dies. This is our only TV in the apartment. I think it was one of the first things my now-husband and I bought together when we moved into our first apartment.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM

30,456 posts, read 9,103,558 times
This should tell you all you need to know about our need to "upgrade": five months ago, our big CRT Sony...which we got in 1974...finally "died" (the dreaded black bars arrived lol). Towards the end of last year, the same thing had happened with our other 1974 Sony. Those two were replaced, plus we'd gotten a third TV about a year ago--and we don't expect any of them to last anywhere near as long as those Sonys did.

Interesting thing, too--the picture didn't get progressively worse with the Sonys. There was no "degradation." It happened quickly; the picture was beautiful...then the bars. Which made for a very pleasant viewing experience for the life of those TVs.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 AM

3,809 posts, read 2,012,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This should tell you all you need to know about our need to "upgrade": five months ago, our big CRT Sony...which we got in 1974...finally "died" (the dreaded black bars arrived lol). Towards the end of last year, the same thing had happened with our other 1974 Sony. Those two were replaced, plus we'd gotten a third TV about a year ago--and we don't expect any of them to last anywhere near as long as those Sonys did.

Interesting thing, too--the picture didn't get progressively worse with the Sonys. There was no "degradation." It happened quickly; the picture was beautiful...then the bars. Which made for a very pleasant viewing experience for the life of those TVs.
We had an old Zenith (in a wooden console) that we got from my husbands parents (they bought brand new in 70's). It lasted a long time. It was a pain in the butt to move though, so once my husband and I bought our first house in 1996, we got rid of it and bought a 32' tv (tube) that we still have and still works. Although we no longer use it because my husband bought a 60' samsung 6 years ago and we don't plan on replacing it until it dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or