Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:03 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just kind of curious about how long you all typically keep a TV for, before upgrading or replacing?

Thinking of jumping on a TV deal later this year (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) to move up to a 46 or 50" (And probably give my current one to one of my siblings). Currently using a 40" that is coming up on 4 years old. I'm usually thriftier and like to hang on to working things longer that, though.

Has built in Smart-TV software improved much over the time I've had mine? (Mine is slooooow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
3 to 4 years personally

Old 07-19-2017, 01:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
I have a 46" Samsung LCD TV which I have had for roughly 10 years. Would I like a new 4K TV? Most definitely, but there is no real reason to spend the money when my current TV is working like a champ.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

Just kind of curious about how long you all typically keep a TV for, before upgrading or replacing?

Thinking of jumping on a TV deal later this year (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) to move up to a 46 or 50" (And probably give my current one to one of my siblings). Currently using a 40" that is coming up on 4 years old. I'm usually thriftier and like to hang on to working things longer that, though.

Has built in Smart-TV software improved much over the time I've had mine? (Mine is slooooow).
Well, the longer you wait, the more you can get for your money. Tech drops so fast! My smart TV is fast. 2014 model, IIRC. Have you done all the updates? Most are automatic but every now and then you need to go into settings to do one.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

Also, I see some 'smart' TVs that are really a dumb TV with roku or something. I am referring to Samsung with built-in Samsung smart hub. Some people like roku better, I was just trying to differentiate the different types.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I have a 55" LG I got in 2008 and a Sony 60" I got in 2010. Both still have amazing pictures. Neither are "smart" but they have PS4's connected to them so they dont have to be. No real need to replace either one of them.

(of course now that I have posted, one will die tonight)

Old 07-19-2017, 03:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I get a new one about every 5 years. But I've also never bought a TV over 40 inches. I think If I had a larger TV I'd probably keep it longer. Most of what I watch is on my laptop so a big TV is not something I care much about.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I don't do much with it, just watch netflix and hulu and amazon shows. I replaced my tv with a smart one in part since I hate watching stuff on a laptop screen. I love that for netflix and amazon I just push a button on the remote. Hulu is in the dropdown menu and presents the only problem, as it resets the screen paramators and I have to fix them after closing it.

My tv is a 31 inch, fitting perfectly in my tv hutch I built. As the room is small anything bigger would be too large a screen. It's a viseo and I'm very pleased with the tv. If you have a problem, they also have great customer service. One thing I did have to do to use the features was add wireless to my wired internet, a few more dollars a month. But as I can now use a kindle and my other laptop and if it didn't mess up my phone, even that its worth it. I'd just get the wireless thru your wired internet service instead of an add on since its much more secure.

I still have Dish, but as options increase, I may reduce the package. I don't think I'd drop it as I depend on the local news for weather coverage (most important in this area) and depend on the local stations broadcast.

The reviews of Viseo were definately right about it being a great tv. The sound is also very good and you can listen to any online source. I disconnedted the sound add ons I had been using as I don't need them now.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
when the old one dies, I usually get a new one.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 PM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
when the old one dies, I usually get a new one.
Likewise. Last year I replaced my plasma TV after 8 years of service. I have another plasma that is also 8 years old but I don't watch it that much. When it dies I will replace it with my recent one and get another new one. I have a coworker who buys set every 3 years. I can't see spending that kind of money to replace a still functioning TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV