U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM

13,482 posts, read 7,338,338 times

Advertisements

M*A*S*H. It was a great show for the first few seasons, and then McLain Stevenson, and Wayne Rogers left, and it went down hill. The series still have a few moments in subsequent seasons, and was mildly entertaining, but the finale was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,838,298 times
Someone commented on Newhart - I think they missed the point that the ending of that series wasn't just a nostalgic nod back to The Bob Newhart Show but was also a wry satire of the series Dallas erasing an entire previous season by retconning it as a dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Worst...Sopranos...left us all arguing over what it was supposed to mean. Didn't seem like an ending to the story so much as they just stopped telling it.
I liked the end of The Sopranos. But then, I don't need all the details filled in. Fiction is ultimately an interactive exercise between storyteller and viewer (or listener, or reader, etc.), and sometimes the recipient of the story needs to fill in the blanks, or just accept that they won't be filled it. Sometimes a tie-everything-up end works great (ex: Six Feet Under), but sometimes ambiguity does as well. Lots of great films end this way, though there seems to be something about television where the audiences need to have everything explained for them.

Quote:
Northern Exposure had a terrific ending, Friends was wrapped up in a satisfying manner.
I thought it was excellent as well. A lot of people disliked it after Fleischman went native and departed, but I found the whole story-arc terrific, and it provided an extended coda for the series - which, after all, was more about Cicely than it was about Joel Fleishman, and the final season demonstrated that as individuals come and go, Cicely endures. Iris Dement's Our Town to close it out was absolutely tone-perfect.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 PM

37,057 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

I liked the end of The Sopranos. But then, I don't need all the details filled in. Fiction is ultimately an interactive exercise between storyteller and viewer (or listener, or reader, etc.), and sometimes the recipient of the story needs to fill in the blanks, or just accept that they won't be filled it. .

That can work in certain situations, but it did not work on the Sopranos. If you didn't know in advance that it was the ending, you would not have been able to tell it was the end.

And if it had to be left ambiguous, it could have been accomplished far more artfully than the scene in the diner. Strangers walking in and out..Meadow having problems parking her car..none of that added up to anything. It just seemed like filler material and none of it was sufficient in itself to serve as a foundation for what we were supposed to be guessing was happening.

Great series....but they punted the ending.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM

1,661 posts, read 879,508 times
Quote:
That can work in certain situations, but it did not work on the Sopranos. If you didn't know in advance that it was the ending, you would not have been able to tell it was the end.

And if it had to be left ambiguous, it could have been accomplished far more artfully than the scene in the diner. Strangers walking in and out..Meadow having problems parking her car..none of that added up to anything. It just seemed like filler material and none of it was sufficient in itself to serve as a foundation for what we were supposed to be guessing was happening.

Great series....but they punted the ending.
I couldn't disagree more....I think it was one of the greatest endings ever. First off I don't buy in to the notion that Tony was wacked in the end. If he was the final moment would have been a Tony POV looking at his family IMO.
I think what made it great was simply found in the name of the show..... "The Sopranos".
Not "Jersey Mob" not "Tony Soprano" not "Made Men".
At its core it was a show about the Soprano family. Mom,Dad, son, daughter. And at the end they were eating dinner in a local restaurant contemplating the future.

Disclosure: I didn't watch the Sopranos live on HBO, I saw it after it was over on Amazon.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 PM

14,324 posts, read 20,579,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I thought we just did this

Old 07-21-2017, 05:31 PM

11,645 posts, read 5,492,561 times
How I Met Your Mother.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 PM

13,233 posts, read 11,784,350 times
My So-Called Life. Basically because it was canceled after the first season, so it never had an ending. I am still traumatized all these years later because I'll never know what happened to Angela, Jordan, Brian, Ricky, etc.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:51 PM

37,057 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
And at the end they were eating dinner in a local restaurant contemplating the future.

Exciting! Dramatic!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:45 PM

14,996 posts, read 16,568,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Newhart! Worst ending ever. Even beat out St. Elsewhere
Oh, man! I almost forgot about that one, probably to save my sanity. That is definitely the worst. Bar none.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM

14,996 posts, read 16,568,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Newhart! Worst ending ever. Even beat out St. Elsewhere
I almost forgot about Newhart, probably to save my sanity. Yes, that was the worst tv series ending of all time. Not just for being unsatisfying or disappointing, but just baaaaaad.

And it is a shame because it was a pretty good show with funny writing and acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or