U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,203,850 times

Advertisements

I guess we're not watching the same show. What an amazing hour.

What was going on with Teddy and Dolores in their scene? Maybe upping his aggression level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 AM

15,093 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Again I say: If I to watch 3 or 4 YouTube synopsis of the episode to fully understand what is going on I am either too dumb to be watching or the writing is too obtuse.
The writing is tending to the obtuse. They're trying too hard. I suspect this is the J.J. Abrams "Mystery Box" influence that infects so much of his work.

There is a fine line between keeping your audience guessing and leaving them confused. Last night's episode was beautiful and exciting, but when it ended I was more confused than intrigued.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,845,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The writing is tending to the obtuse. They're trying too hard. I suspect this is the J.J. Abrams "Mystery Box" influence that infects so much of his work.

There is a fine line between keeping your audience guessing and leaving them confused. Last night's episode was beautiful and exciting, but when it ended I was more confused than intrigued.
I feel similarly. A couple of thoughts that popped into my head, more logistics than anything:

1. If they use the same/similar storylines and character loops in multiple parks, wouldn't that be problematic for any guests that visit several parks, especially if more than once? On one hand, it stands to reason that a guest who enjoys this type of adventure would want to visit multiple locations. OTOH, the parks might be catered to very specific audiences without much overlap. For example, who would want to go to Shogun world if they didn't speak Japanese?

2. If the parks are all contiguous to one another, how is there such variability with respect to topography, climate, flora and fauna etc? I know a lot is constructed, but it can't all be.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,254,215 times
I’m a big Samuri and Geshia fan so I loved this episode. Reminded me of Memoirs of a Geshia.

I have a feeling “Bad Teddy” is coming!!!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,040 posts, read 4,782,072 times
I believe my biggest issue with the series to far (besides the confusing timeline jumps) is that I have no feelings towards any of the characters, like or hate. Dolores and Teddy had potential but I have lost interest in them both individually and as a couple. IMHO the loss of Dr. Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkins) took a lot of air out of the show.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Dolores and Teddy had potential but I have lost interest in them both individually and as a couple.
Dolores was interesting in Season 1 because she was on a clearly defined journey of becoming alive. Her story progressed. In Season 2 she apparently wants to break out of the park and take on the human world. Okay. But she seems to be going about it the most meandering, non-sensical, stupid way possible.

Same thing with Maeve. Don't get me wrong. I loved Shogunworld. But we're almost halfway through the season now, and Maeve has made no progress at all in her storyline (finding her daughter).

We're halfway through the second season, and I'm still not sure what Bernard wants other than to survive. If that's it, then his motivation for every scene is just to keep his head down and not rock the boat. That's not very compelling.

William's plot so far in season 2 is just confusing. He is following Ford's game. To what end? Why? And when humans are being slaughtered all over the park, how is he able to move around with such impunity?

Quote:
IMHO the loss of Dr. Robert Ford (Anthony Hopkins) took a lot of air out of the show.
Yup.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,790,000 times
What's Delores' end game? She knows her world is a theme park and that she's an android, but the show seems to imply that she wants to take over Westworld. Why does she need an army? Why not just try to sneak out of the park by herself?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
What's Delores' end game? She knows her world is a theme park and that she's an android, but the show seems to imply that she wants to take over Westworld. Why does she need an army? Why not just try to sneak out of the park by herself?
Her aim isn't to take over Westworld. It's to take over the world. I think she said that in Episode 1 or 2 of this season.

Does she really think she can gather a few hundred hosts and conquer the world??? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 PM

5,829 posts, read 3,773,330 times
Two things I would like to know:

1. How do they make the swords so they can't be used to kill humans? Note, they did not ever go to Shogun World at a time that the answer to that could have had to be shown. Convenient?

2. Why did we never see the clear fluid(whatever it's called) oozing out of any head wounds when it wasn't appropriate for the plot?

I wonder about things like this and sometimes it ruins my enjoyment of an otherwise great show.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Two things I would like to know:

1. How do they make the swords so they can't be used to kill humans? Note, they did not ever go to Shogun World at a time that the answer to that could have had to be shown. Convenient?

2. Why did we never see the clear fluid(whatever it's called) oozing out of any head wounds when it wasn't appropriate for the plot?

I wonder about things like this and sometimes it ruins my enjoyment of an otherwise great show.

3. Dolores was shot at least twice and I think three times in episode 4. But during the love scene with Teddy, there wasn't a scar on her, much less open wounds. So either:

a.) The story is monkeying with timelines even more than we thought they were.
b.) Hosts can somehow self-heal.
c.) HBO Production is getting careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or