U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,765,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
After last night's episode, I'm calling it: sophomore slump.

"A sophomore slump or sophomore jinx or sophomore jitters refers to an instance in which a second, or sophomore, effort fails to live up to the standards of the first effort."

Season 1 was going somewhere, knew where, and every scene served that purpose. Season 2 started out very promising, but if the storyline currently has a point or direction, I have lost it. The writers are trying so hard to be clever that they have failed to be clear.
All the mayhem seems to be in the script.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:

"A sophomore slump or sophomore jinx or sophomore jitters refers to an instance in which a second, or sophomore, effort fails to live up to the standards of the first effort."

Season 1 was going somewhere, knew where, and every scene served that purpose. Season 2 started out very promising, but if the storyline currently has a point or direction, I have lost it. The writers are trying so hard to be clever that they have failed to be clear.
This exactly. I've tried to stay with this show but I can't see where it's going. The storyline is complicated for the sake of being complicated. I don't think the ultimate plot payoff will justify the time investment into this show.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 PM

342 posts, read 178,265 times
First season was promising,Second series all over the place.Bet you there is nobody watching that has a clear understanding of what is going on.Exit stage left for me.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:56 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,402,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
First season was promising,Second series all over the place.Bet you there is nobody watching that has a clear understanding of what is going on.Exit stage left for me.
It is crazy as Hell, but I am going to stick it out just to see where it ends up.

Probably setting myself up for a major disappointment

Old 06-05-2018, 07:06 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:

I am not feeling it. Each episode I am asking myself why I continue watching?

One observation: The hosts becoming human, the humans becoming host concept was subtle in the first season, now it seems they are beating us over the head with it.

Also I am so tired of seeing Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) walking around the sets with that stupid confused expression.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Season 2 just seems lacking in direction.

In Season 1, we hoped Dolores would finally become self-aware and break free from her cycle of suffering and abuse. Mission accomplished. Now what? She wants to ... what? Break free of the park? To what end? She certainly seems to be going about it in the dumbest way possible.

I have no idea what William's motivation is. He's following Ford's directions. Why?

Maeve wants her daughter back. Great. And then what ... ?

And I am utterly baffled as to what Bernard's arc is this season, other than to wander around looking confused.

The multiple timelines in Season 1 were a clever trick that we all figured out by the finale. This season, we know they are there ... but they're just confusing. Rather than making the plot intriguing, they are just muddling things.

The plot seems aimless.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 AM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I'm loving season 2.

I enjoy pondering the philosophical questions Westworld raises about the nature of free will (most of us humans conduct our own daily lives as if we are on our own narrative loops -- eat, work, sleep), what constitutes consciousness, the ethics of handling artificial intelligence, and the analogy between a "evil" company like Delos and ones like Facebook or Google (all three make their main business gathering data on their users who willingly provide it).

This is the only show I watch that I have to listen to podcasts after each episode to help me understand what I've seen though.

I realize that's not for everybody!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Question: In a YouTube video outlining S2E7 I watched last night the narrator talked about William, at least the version of William who gets shot up in E7, as being a "host". It was mentioned as if it were a given. Did I miss something? If he is now a host, how and when did that happen?

Also I love (put a lot of sarcasm with that love) how some host or humans get shot once and they are dead. Other's get shot several times and live. Lucky? Or contrived? And then there are the hosts and humans who seem to be immune to bullets when everyone else around them are being cut to shreds.......

Reminds me of the John Wayne westerns where he would be fighting off 100's of Indians single handed, kill many of them and come away without a scratch.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Question: In a YouTube video outlining S2E7 I watched last night the narrator talked about William, at least the version of William who gets shot up in E7, as being a "host". It was mentioned as if it were a given. Did I miss something? If he is now a host, how and when did that happen?

Also I love (put a lot of sarcasm with that love) how some host or humans get shot once and they are dead. Other's get shot several times and live. Lucky? Or contrived? And then there are the hosts and humans who seem to be immune to bullets when everyone else around them are being cut to shreds.......

Reminds me of the John Wayne westerns where he would be fighting off 100's of Indians single handed, kill many of them and come away without a scratch.
I mentioned in my second to last post that a lot of fans believe William is a host.

I want him to be human, but the way he didn't die after being shot several times, including in the stomach, has me wondering, in addition to the Ford riddle from my post (the game starts where you begin and begins where you end).

I wonder why Ford didn't kill Elsie. He doesn't have much (if any) respect for human life, but he had Bernard send her away on a wild goose chase instead of killing her.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:04 PM

193 posts, read 76,547 times
I hate to say it but I just don't care about ANY of the characters in this show. I tried. I just don't.

And I really don't care about the robots/hosts. I think Maeve's thing with her "daughter" is absurd. I know I am supposed to be emotionally drawn in but I just keep thinking "you are a robot. You are programmed to have this connection with another robot. This is not real."

I keep watching hoping something will draw me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or