U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,718,275 times

Advertisements

Last night when the next-week preview showed SEASON FINALE, it occurred to me: Season 2 is almost over, yet the plot has not progressed one iota from the finale of Season 1.

There has been a lot of character development in Season 2, but the plot has not progressed at all.

Maeve is now self-aware and wants her daughter back, but she is no further along in that than she was at the end of Season 1.

William wants to find his own meaning and solve Ford's puzzle, but he is no further along in that than he was at the end of Season 1.

Dolores wants to break free of Westworld and live free, but she is no further along in that than she was at the end of Season 1.

Bernard wants ... I'm not sure what. His arc has been nothing but baffling this season. What does he want? To obey Ford? To stop him?

Even the antagonists aren't any farther along. The park is still in chaos. Charlotte Hale, whom I thought might actually be interesting this season, is just a cut-throat corporate executive who continues being a cut-throat corporate executive.

Season 3 needs to step up its game. Otherwise, just hurry up with the new GAME OF THRONES show.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 AM

9,865 posts, read 11,370,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Last night when the next-week preview showed SEASON FINALE, it occurred to me: Season 2 is almost over, yet the plot has not progressed one iota from the finale of Season 1.

There has been a lot of character development in Season 2, but the plot has not progressed at all.

Maeve is now self-aware and wants her daughter back, but she is no further along in that than she was at the end of Season 1.

William wants to find his own meaning and solve Ford's puzzle, but he is no further along in that than he was at the end of Season 1.

Dolores wants to break free of Westworld and live free, but she is no further along in that than she was at the end of Season 1.

Bernard wants ... I'm not sure what. His arc has been nothing but baffling this season. What does he want? To obey Ford? To stop him?

Even the antagonists aren't any farther along. The park is still in chaos. Charlotte Hale, whom I thought might actually be interesting this season, is just a cut-throat corporate executive who continues being a cut-throat corporate executive.

Season 3 needs to step up its game. Otherwise, just hurry up with the new GAME OF THRONES show.
But did you expect all of those plot lines to resolve in one season? I mean, if they had, there probably would be no more show.

Maeve gets her daughter back. Now what?

Williams solves the puzzle, now what?

Dolores gets out? Now what.

You are correct that there was not resolution to any of these; however, there has been a journey toward them.

Sure, Maeve didn't get her daughter back but she did reunite with her.

William honestly needs his whole persona stripped down to the basics before he just solves the puzzle and I think we are getting there with him.

Dolores has a long journey toward getting out and I don't expect that to happen until the end of the series.

You're spot on about Bernard. Not sure what's going on with him!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But did you expect all of those plot lines to resolve in one season?
Resolve? Not necessarily. But after 10 episodes I expect at least some progress. There has been none.

That's how stories work. Character A wants X but is opposed by B. Either A or B wins (usually B), then the conflict continues.

But 3 of our 4 major plotlines are completely static. They spent the entire season wandering around and making no progress at all.

Get it together writers!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
I'm not going to get in a drawn-out discussion if someone doesn't like the show. That's their prerogative.

But no progress?!? This season we've learned about hosts & guests & the Cradle & the Forge & the real project behind WW. We've seen the journeys of the MIB, his daughter, his wife, his BIL, his FIL, the Ghost Nation warrior. We've seen Shogun World, Raj World, and a drowned group of hosts/guests at... the Valley Beyond.

But yeah... not much happening.

It's a journey, not a destination. And it may not be for everyone. That's why HBO throws a gazillion shows at us.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm not going to get in a drawn-out discussion if someone doesn't like the show. That's their prerogative.

But no progress?!? This season we've learned about hosts & guests & the Cradle & the Forge & the real project behind WW. We've seen the journeys of the MIB, his daughter, his wife, his BIL, his FIL, the Ghost Nation warrior. We've seen Shogun World, Raj World, and a drowned group of hosts/guests at... the Valley Beyond.

But yeah... not much happening.

It's a journey, not a destination. And it may not be for everyone. That's why HBO throws a gazillion shows at us.
To be fair, Mark S. said there hasn't been much plot development. There's a difference between plot and story IMO.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 AM

5,823 posts, read 3,765,015 times
Quote:
Resolve? Not necessarily. But after 10 episodes I expect at least some progress. There has been none.

That's how stories work. Character A wants X but is opposed by B. Either A or B wins (usually B), then the conflict continues.

But 3 of our 4 major plotlines are completely static. They spent the entire season wandering around and making no progress at all.

Get it together writers!
I tend to agree. They could almost show all the characters walking along on a treadmill and it wouldn't be much worse.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:32 AM

5,410 posts, read 3,382,449 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

I read every episode recap when it comes out, hoping for some insights. There are darned few. Apparently even people who watch TV for a living are befuddled by Season 2.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You're talking exposition, not plot. Plot is things happening, things changing, conflict and progress and choices made and hopes dashed.

Characters just wandering around learning things is not a story. Even SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? knows that.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,776,011 times
During the episode William questioned Ford at the bar about "The Wizard" (as in The Wizard of Oz) not being present running the show (something to that effect). That caused me to laugh latter in the episode watching closeups of William in his droopy black hat looking so much like the Scare Crow from Oz........

Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 AM

9,865 posts, read 11,370,122 times
Just watched Episode 9 last night. I am definitely struggling to keep up with William.

So, what is he? Obviously all of his behaviors are on that card of everything he's done in the park. His wife seemed to know more about the business than she let on.

What is in William's arm? Is he part host, part human?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or