U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 AM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
It's interesting that they are paying attention to the Reddit comments and adjusting accordingly.
I wish they'd stop that. Catering to the fanbase is a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:05 PM

3,575 posts, read 4,205,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
It's interesting that they are paying attention to the Reddit comments and adjusting accordingly. Hopefully next season will be less confusing!

I'm still confused...was William a host or not?
They have never said anything about Reddit. Another poster above said the writers of Luke Cage read it. The Westworld people have never said anything about reading feedback on Reddit.

This entire second season was filmed, edited and in the can (ie, ready to air), before they started airing the season on HBO. So there is no way they reacted to any fan feedback during this season.

Having said all this, I would guess they do just like all showrunners do... see what the reactions are to their product. They would be foolish not to stay aware of how viewers see their show. And if necessary, make adjustments if they feel that will make for a better experience.

William... he was NOT a host at any point during this season, during the "now". And he almost certainly killed his actual daughter in that pivotal scene.

The scene at the end, after the credits, was a flash-forward many years in the future. So far ahead, that everyone we know in the show has already died, old age or whatever. So both William and Emily are hosts in that scene. That is the only time (AFAWK) that either of them was ever shown as a host.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
They have never said anything about Reddit. Another poster above said the writers of Luke Cage read it. The Westworld people have never said anything about reading feedback on Reddit.
The Westworld showrunners admitted that they paid very close attention to the Reddit threads during Season 1 and it influenced how they wrote Season 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The scene at the end, after the credits, was a flash-forward many years in the future. So far ahead, that everyone we know in the show has already died, old age or whatever. So both William and Emily are hosts in that scene. That is the only time (AFAWK) that either of them was ever shown as a host.
He wasn't a host per se. He almost certainly in a host body, but his mind was William. What does that make him? Host or human? Are we more than the sum of our parts?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,044 posts, read 4,782,967 times
Among the concepts recently exposed by the series is that somehow they managed to collect the mind/brain contents of every guest as a digital image (and printout as evidenced by the huge library that Dolores was flipping through). As well as the guest DNA.

While it is easy to image how they could collect DNA samples, how the f*** did they manage to obtain digital copies of each of the guest's minds?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM

9,841 posts, read 13,932,158 times
Hats. William pointed at his hat, when his daughter asked "how?".

I lost any interest in the show. It became absurd. Just an idle exercise in screenplay writing. What really did this was that when the "new" Delores, in corporate gal body, passed "I am human" check with one of those hand held devices. This just did it.

Here's the "message" from WW.

If you want to live forever, enjoy never ending pleasures of flesh - transfer your consciousness into artificial body and keep hopping them.

Forget it. I'm out.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 AM

9,877 posts, read 11,387,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

I lost any interest in the show. It became absurd. Just an idle exercise in screenplay writing. What really did this was that when the "new" Delores, in corporate gal body, passed "I am human" check with one of those hand held devices. This just did it.

Here's the "message" from WW.

If you want to live forever, enjoy never ending pleasures of flesh - transfer your consciousness into artificial body and keep hopping them.

Forget it. I'm out.
But did she really pass in Charlotte Hale's body? The reason I ask as I don't think it's been discussed yet was the weird scene between her and that security guy (God, can't remember his name now) that seems like a good guy. He repeated that he was here to protect the host's int he park or something like that. He said it twice I think and looked at her with "meaning." He scanned her and passed her but I think he new she was a host, and I think he's part of it somehow.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But did she really pass in Charlotte Hale's body? The reason I ask as I don't think it's been discussed yet was the weird scene between her and that security guy (God, can't remember his name now) that seems like a good guy. He repeated that he was here to protect the host's int he park or something like that. He said it twice I think and looked at her with "meaning." He scanned her and passed her but I think he new she was a host, and I think he's part of it somehow.
Stubbs. And yes, you're right. He was definitely insinuating he has been a host all along and knew she was too.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yup. But to me, that is still missing the blatantly obvious conclusion: Even if they could replicate a perfect copy of a body via DNA, and even if they could copy a human psyche, it would still be a copy. They keep talking about living forever, but the original person still dies. It is their genetically engineered twin with downloaded memories who lives on.

This is what I mean: Season 2 was trying so hard to be smart that they actually end up being dumb. Kind of like the final seasons of LOST.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM

27,623 posts, read 24,826,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Stubbs. And yes, you're right. He was definitely insinuating he has been a host all along and knew she was too.
Quote:
In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, and with secondary confirmation through EW, fans can now rest assured (or not) that the park’s chief security officer is actually a host hand-picked by Ford himself. Viewers picked up on the heavy hints at the Season 2 closer’s final moments when Stubbs had a bit of an awkward conversation with Host Hale (Tessa Thompson), suggesting that he not only knew she was not her human counterpart but that he’d been custom built by Ford to protect and monitor the hosts in the park, not outside of it. VF also has a nice revisit to past moments where Stubbs has been protective of other hosts, specifically Bernard.

Finale director Frederick E.O. Toye told VF that Jonathan Nolan literally wrote this scene after a “light bulb” moment the night before it was shot, so whether that’s an example of a last-minute muse or a mad scramble to cram some more mystery in at the expense of meaningful storytelling is up to you to decide.
Westworld Director Confirms Another Character Is Actually a Host | Collider

Old 06-28-2018, 12:19 PM

27,623 posts, read 24,826,243 times
The hat reveal was supremely stupid. There was no need to even go there.

Quote:
But clever clues aside, some fans were actually a bit put off by the hat reveal.

In a show that tends toward intricacy to the point of being flat out convoluted, the hat answer feels a little too convenient and implausible. It answered a question no one really needed answered, while simultaneously bringing unnecessary scrutiny to the logistics of how this sci-fi tech works.

For example: What does Delos do if people don't want to wear the hats, or lose them? What about all the guests we saw in the last season who weren't wearing hats — like women in fancy dresses, where a cowboy hat would ruin the whole costume? Most glaringly, what's the equivalent of the cowboy hats in Shogun or Raj World, where there were many bare-headed guests?
https://mashable.com/2018/06/20/west.../#qjDloHeKFOqc

To its credit, The Walking Dead doesn't bother to explain the genesis of the zombie outbreak because they know it wouldn't make sense and would invite further scrutiny from viewers. Westworld apparently didn't want to take a page from that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or