U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,835,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't think Maeve is the package. She's been acting as her own wildcard, Ford's programming notwithstanding. I thought Dolores "father", who had been deactivated, was brought back, and had something inserted into him?

Yes, I thought that Charlotte told Bernard that the package was Mr. Abernathy (can't remember his first name, Douglas, maybe??).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,193,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm left wondering what that excavation site is all about.
Me too. They've referred to it previously as "terraforming", which tends to mean more than just earth movers (think "Aliens"). And it's been mentioned as a weapon by both Jimmie and Dolores.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:00 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Spoiler alert.

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/04/2...orld-season-2/

Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, I didn't really follow that at all. Maybe I'm not smart enough to be watching this show, LOL.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:15 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,036 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Yeah, I didn't really follow that at all. Maybe I'm not smart enough to be watching this show, LOL.
I enjoy the show on some level and will keep watching. But, like you, I am perhaps too dumb to fully understand the plot and do not enjoy working so hard to do so...... I have started a routine of watching the episode on Sunday and then searching Youtube for explanation videos on Monday.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I enjoy the show on some level and will keep watching. But, like you, I am perhaps too dumb to fully understand the plot and do not enjoy working so hard to do so...... I have started a routine of watching the episode on Sunday and then searching Youtube for explanation videos on Monday.
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek (as I'm sure yours was as well), but yes to the bolded. That's how I feel.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:44 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
As of the end of S1, we only knew of two worlds in the park. If you listened closely, someone mentioned there are six parks. In addition to Shogun World, and WestWorld, we know a third one has tigers. Probably a tease that there is more to come on that.
Wow. That got answered much sooner than I though it would be.

https://news.avclub.com/westworlds-n...opl-1825859070

Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 AM

1,009 posts, read 521,567 times
I was wondering where Gus Fring went Too bad he ended up shooting himself in the head. But since he was a host, maybe we'll see him again

Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM

896 posts, read 405,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The latest trailer is a bit underwhelming, unless shooting mechanical bulls is your thing. But hey! We finally have a premiere date. April 22nd!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qUmfriZoMw0
I was a fan of the original with Yul Brynner in early childhood. Season 1 was fantastic with Anthony Hopkins and Bernard. The cast was great. The special effects and plot were awesome. I generally enjoy science fiction since I am a dual mechanical-software engineer who is studying machine learning and artificial intelligence.

I was browsing the web about the show and saw some criticism from minorities that it is "racist" and meant for "rich white guests". The common complaints seemed to be the plethora of negative stereotypes of minorities. But I am Native American who grew up on a rural reservation. I simply took the view that the hosts are robots - machines embedded with artificial intelligence. The scientists who created them were gifted (in the plot), but the corporation is reckless and corrupted - hence, some of the themes and scenarios are atrocious. However, to me, that is all part of the plot. I did not take the characters to be literal ethnicities - just robots underneath.

Unfortunately, some viewers do not see it that way and are apparently offended. I just took the high road and see it as science fiction with a bunch of malfunctioning robots. The "if/else" branches in the computer code for the decisions of the "heuristic" algorithms of artificial intelligence are going the wrong way, and those who created the scenarios are corrupted (on top of that), so it's just a robot "Wild West" so to speak.
It's not even real. The complaints of racism are making it seem literal when it's just fiction.

https://www.gq.com/story/westworld-is-for-white-people

Old 05-12-2018, 12:47 PM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I was browsing the web about the show and saw some criticism from minorities that it is "racist" and meant for "rich white guests". The common complaints seemed to be the plethora of negative stereotypes of minorities.
That seems to me a perfect example of seeing the point but utterly failing to grasp it.

It was like all the complaints from last year the BLADE RUNNER 2049 was about exploitation. My reaction was: Yes. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Westworld is also saying a lot about exploitation, haves vs. have-nots, etc. But the point of it is not, "Ya-hoo! Go, racism!" It is a criticism of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or