U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 PM

1,894 posts, read 629,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Breaking Bad wasn't popular because it was trendy, it was popular because of brilliant writing and excellent production. Breaking Bad was TV's first true masterpiece - the modern equivalent of the great American novel. It was good from start to finish and dealt with deep themes like obsession and the lure of darkness on those who have failed in life. Many of these shows are popular because they are good.
I just don't want to give people the impression that I'm 'out of touch' - as Billy Joel once put it - just because I watch little or none of the programming I, and others, listed in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:08 PM

8,019 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I just don't want to give people the impression that I'm 'out of touch' - as Billy Joel once put it - just because I watch little or none of the programming I, and others, listed in this thread.
You don't want people to have the wrong impression of you based on what you watch and why you watch it, yet you seem to have your own (false) opinion of people who watch certain shows and why they watch them.

Just food for thought.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,644,944 times
Aren't sports the ultimate "trend" shows? Most bore me to tears, but then you have people talking about every painful detail the next day.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Aren't sports the ultimate "trend" shows? Most bore me to tears, but then you have people talking about every painful detail the next day.
No. Because even though nobody around the water cooler is still speculating who killed Laura Palmer or Tony Soprano, most major professional sports are still being televised.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:33 AM

7,152 posts, read 7,591,750 times
Quote:
Breaking Bad wasn't popular because it was trendy, it was popular because of brilliant writing and excellent production. Breaking Bad was TV's first true masterpiece - the modern equivalent of the great American novel. It was good from start to finish and dealt with deep themes like obsession and the lure of darkness on those who have failed in life. Many of these shows are popular because they are good.
You're probably hanging too much on the word "trendy", although it is well known that "Breaking Bad" was a huge "word of mouth" hit. Kind of makes it trendy by definition.

Either way I got the impression the OP was asking if folks watch shows "everyone is talking about"

EDIT: I reread the OP and the "just because" part so I see why people get/got defensive.

Last edited by SabresFanInSA; 08-01-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,202,048 times
Quote:
Trend Shows are TV Programs people must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them, at work and elsewhere.

Not me. My remote is stuck on PBS!
Quote:
Just that in the past I have felt sort of out of it when I was at work and heard the same three folks turning windmills every day about Laura Palmer or Simon Cowell, while I was digging science fiction and reading books about cars and ships.
Quote:
My perception of many trend-shows is one of vapidness. That it's just something to do on a work night when one just wants to unwind from the last 8 hours of work and gear up for the next day, no depth to the shows themselves at all.
Go back and read your posts. You come across as an elitist snob. You watch PBS, you read books. We watch vapid shows.

Maybe you didn't intend to denigrate everyone who isn't you, but you sure did a great job of it. I won't even bother to refute your points, as they weren't made with an intention to stimulate great debate, but to make sure everyone knows that you don't waste your time with the hoi polloi.

Quote:
Well said. Breaking Bad was superb--well-written, acted and told. Def one of my top three shows ever.

But it's still just vapid TV, brain fodder for the masses, something to keep us busy as we unwind from our menial existences. {PS: sarcasm}

Old 08-01-2017, 07:02 AM

9,121 posts, read 3,936,411 times
The only one on the list I watched one season of was Game of Thrones. Thought I would see what all the fuss was about it but I didn't care for it. Ditto for the Walking Dead - I made it to Season 6 and quit watching after the producers faked us out with Glenn's first "death" and the dumpster.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM

1,692 posts, read 843,598 times
I didn't watch any of those listed. Only what appeals to me, trendy or not. For example Orange is the New Black. There's a lot of hype about it, but it doesn't look interesting to me so I have no intention of watching. On the opposite side is Stranger Things. It looked good so I watched it.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I didn't watch any of those listed. Only what appeals to me, trendy or not. For example Orange is the New Black. There's a lot of hype about it, but it doesn't look interesting to me so I have no intention of watching. On the opposite side is Stranger Things. It looked good so I watched it.
^^Gets it!

Those are my criteria for watching a TV show or movie. Does the subject matter resignate with me, is it produced in a way appealing to me? Not by how much I hear a show being talked about in public, at work, etc, or how many times per hour the radio runs an ad about it.

I must confess I did watch Twin Peaks back during its hey day: exactly 0.47 sec. of it as I was flooring my remote's channel button past it on the way to Discovery or History Channel!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM

8,019 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Quote:
^^Gets it!

Those are my criteria for watching a TV show or movie. Does the subject matter resignate with me, is it produced in a way appealing to me? Not by how much I hear a show being talked about in public, at work, etc, or how many times per hour the radio runs an ad about it.
Um ... that's what pretty much everone else has said in this thread. We watch what is appealing to us, regardless of whether it's "trendy" or not. Why are you acting like LargeMarge was the first to say it?

Besides, I thought your criteria was whether or not it's on PBS?

[CENTER]SaveSaveSave[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or