U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM

1,893 posts, read 625,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Um ... that's what pretty much everone else has said in this thread. We watch what is appealing to us, regardless of whether it's "trendy" or not. Why are you acting like LargeMarge was the first to say it?

Besides, I thought your criteria was whether or not it's on PBS?

[CENTER]SaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

I'd say PBS comprises a higher percentage of my TV, but not all of it. Unfortunately, a lot of people do choose what they watch on TV based on water-cooler or sidewalk chatter, not by using their own assessment. And the shows I l initially listed are what many of them watch.

Don't know what your "save save save" signified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 AM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I'd say PBS comprises a higher percentage of my TV, but not all of it. Unfortunately, a lot of people do choose what they watch on TV based on water-cooler or sidewalk chatter, not by using their own assessment. And the shows I l initially listed are what many of them watch.

Don't know what your "save save save" signified.

But no one in this thread has suggested that they watch TV based on water-cooler or sidewalk chatter. So I'm not quite sure how LargeMarge was the first to "get it". **Shrug** Whatever. Astrohip's assessment of the point of this thread was pretty spot on.

The "save save save" is something that happens automatically. I can't control it. It's some sort of CD glitch that only happens to a few people some of the time and no one can figure out why.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:08 PM

5,523 posts, read 1,943,786 times
Quote:
Trend Shows are TV Programs people must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them, at work and elsewhere. Can be either miniseries or regular run. Another term for them could be 'Water Cooler' Shows due to their being a constant topic in the break room at work. TV shows you hear about all the time, anywhere you go, that drive you nuts.

Examples include:

- American Idol
- Sopranos
- Breaking Bad
- The Bachelor/-ette/In Paradise, etc.
- Orange Is The New Black
- Game of Thrones

Do you watch?

Not me. My remote is stuck on PBS!
Me either, OP. The only one on your list I watched was American Idol. And the last time I watched, Carrie Underwood won, lol. I've never seen an episode of Law and Order or any of those cop shows either. I sat with my FIL when he was visiting while he watched NCIS. But I never actually paid attention. If I got PBS, that is exactly where my remote would be too.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,787,649 times
I don't watch Game of Thrones, though I suspect I would probably like it if I did. Everyone else seems to be watching it though.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
^^Gets it!

Those are my criteria for watching a TV show or movie. Does the subject matter resignate with me, is it produced in a way appealing to me? Not by how much I hear a show being talked about in public, at work, etc, or how many times per hour the radio runs an ad about it.

I must confess I did watch Twin Peaks back during its hey day: exactly 0.47 sec. of it as I was flooring my remote's channel button past it on the way to Discovery or History Channel!
The shows you watch are news / documentaries / crafting shows apparently. All "nonfiction." That's all very well, but what about drama shows, fiction. Are you on the spectrum?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:52 PM

3,787 posts, read 2,006,199 times
I watch what I watch because it interests me. I couldn't care less what others are watching. If people I work with or know watch and we can have fun discussions on the shows...great! If not, then I will still watch and enjoy.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 PM

1,893 posts, read 625,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The shows you watch are news / documentaries / crafting shows apparently. All "nonfiction." That's all very well, but what about drama shows, fiction. Are you on the spectrum?
I used to watch "Cold Case" before it fell from syndication(NOT "Cold Case Files"). Just about anything on MeTV or AntennaTV. I'm feeling those classic shows a lot more than what's on nowadays!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:32 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,433,523 times
One reason I don't watch most of the shows listed by the OP is because I don't get those channels. I don't watch the others because I'm not interested in them. I watched one episode of "Game of Thrones" at a friend's house and it was definitely not for me even if I got HBO.

I'll check out a trending show to see what all the fuss is about but if I don't like it I won't continue watching.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:16 AM

10,312 posts, read 9,435,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One reason I don't watch most of the shows listed by the OP is because I don't get those channels. I don't watch the others because I'm not interested in them. I watched one episode of "Game of Thrones" at a friend's house and it was definitely not for me even if I got HBO.

I'll check out a trending show to see what all the fuss is about but if I don't like it I won't continue watching.
I cut the cord on cable/satellite for the same reason. There wasn't anything I enjoyed watching so I ended it. Someone here in another thread suggested a show called Preacher so I thought I'd check it out. (There are sites where you can see cable shows without having cable) I did. Couldn't even get through 20 minutes of it before switching it off.

I never got to watch much TV before retirement. Now that I have more time, there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile. Except for maybe old episodes of Perry Mason, Mannix and Columbo to name a few.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM

909 posts, read 504,908 times
I watch none of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or