Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times

Advertisements

Trend Shows are TV Programs people must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them, at work and elsewhere. Can be either miniseries or regular run. Another term for them could be 'Water Cooler' Shows due to their being a constant topic in the break room at work. TV shows you hear about all the time, anywhere you go, that drive you nuts.

Examples include:

- American Idol
- Sopranos
- Breaking Bad
- The Bachelor/-ette/In Paradise, etc.
- Orange Is The New Black
- Game of Thrones

Do you watch?

Not me. My remote is stuck on PBS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If I watch a show, it's because I enjoy it, not because I "must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them."

Some of the shows I watch happen to be shows that are frequently discussed "around the water cooler," and I may partake of the conversation. But that's not why I watch them.

And PBS isn't immune to trend shows. Ever hear of Downton Abbey?

Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If I watch a show, it's because I enjoy it, not because I "must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them."

Some of the shows I watch happen to be shows that are frequently discussed "around the water cooler," and I may partake of the conversation. But that's not why I watch them.

And PBS isn't immune to trend shows. Ever hear of Downton Abbey?
I didn't watch that one either. I'm a Nova/News Hour/This Old House type guy. On the big three networks I just catch the news and special events. Seriously though? For every hour I watch of TV, I listen to 3 hours of music. LOL

Early in your reply you sound offended. To offend anyone was not my post's intention. Just that in the past I have felt sort of out of it when I was at work and heard the same three folks turning windmills every day about Laura Palmer or Simon Cowell, while I was digging science fiction and reading books about cars and ships.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-31-2017 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Trend Shows are TV Programs people must watch, just because other people are watching and discussing them, at work and elsewhere. Can be either miniseries or regular run. Another term for them could be 'Water Cooler' Shows due to their being a constant topic in the break room at work. TV shows you hear about all the time, anywhere you go, that drive you nuts.

Examples include:

- American Idol
- Sopranos
- Breaking Bad

- The Bachelor/-ette/In Paradise, etc.
- Orange Is The New Black
- Game of Thrones

Do you watch?

Not me. My remote is stuck on PBS!
I do not waste my time with 'reality' shows or competition shows.

However, I do like good television, and the two ones I bolded above fit that bill. But I waited until the series had run so I could consume them in a compressed time period. Not binge-watching, but over the span of a few months. Since I am interested in actually watching a show (and not talking about it) this was not a problem for me. I am doing the same thing with Game of Thrones and The Americans, as I did with others such as Mad Men - patiently awaiting their conclusions so I can watch them beginning to end.

I am watching The Walking Dead as it comes out, because my wife insists on buying that one (we don't have cable) and watching each season as it is released. I guess that's a 'trend' show.

Basically, you're asking if people won't watch some shows that are popular. Why wouldn't they? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous to reject a series solely on the basis that a lot of other people like it.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I do not waste my time with 'reality' shows or competition shows.

However, I do like good television, and the two ones I bolded above fit that bill. But I waited until the series had run so I could consume them in a compressed time period. Not binge-watching, but over the span of a few months. Since I am interested in actually watching a show (and not talking about it) this was not a problem for me. I am doing the same thing with Game of Thrones and The Americans, as I did with others such as Mad Men - patiently awaiting their conclusions so I can watch them beginning to end.

I am watching The Walking Dead as it comes out, because my wife insists on buying that one (we don't have cable) and watching each season as it is released. I guess that's a 'trend' show.

Basically, you're asking if people won't watch some shows that are popular. Why wouldn't they? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous to reject a series solely on the basis that a lot of other people like it.

My perception of many trend-shows is one of vapidness. That it's just something to do on a work night when one just wants to unwind from the last 8 hours of work and gear up for the next day, no depth to the shows themselves at all. That's why things like Idol and Bachelor, or Survivor, never interested me.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I didn't watch that one either. I'm a Nova/News Hour/This Old House type guy. On the big three networks I just catch the news and special events. Seriously though? For every hour I watch of TV, I listen to 3 hours of music. LOL

Early in your reply you sound offended. To offend anyone was not my post's intention. Just that in the past I have felt sort of out of it when I was at work and heard the same three folks turning windmills every day about Laura Palmer or Simon Cowell, while I was digging science fiction and reading books about cars and ships.
Not offended. Just challenging your perspective on the shows.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
My perception of many trend-shows is one of vapidness. That it's just something to do on a work night when one just wants to unwind from the last 8 hours of work and gear up for the next day, no depth to the shows themselves at all. That's why things like Idol and Bachelor, or Survivor, never interested me.
Truthfully, some shows are vapid and mindless. And after a long taxing day of work, that's exactly what I need. One of my favorite shows to watch is The Great British Baking Show on PBS (yep, PBS has reality TV too!) It's literally watching people compete in a baking competition. But it's fun and fluffy. It doesn't require me to think. And I'm okay with that.

If such shows don't interest you, that's fine. But it's also fine if other people find them entertaining.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Truthfully, some shows are vapid and mindless. And after a long taxing day of work, that's exactly what I need. One of my favorite shows to watch is The Great British Baking Show on PBS (yep, PBS has reality TV too!) It's literally watching people compete in a baking competition. But it's fun and fluffy. It doesn't require me to think. And I'm okay with that.

If such shows don't interest you, that's fine. But it's also fine if other people find them entertaining.
After doing work all day that requires next to no thought, I could use some cerebral programming, lol!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I watch some of the trend shows but I am not sure I watch any of them because they are trendy.

For example, we didnt watch "American Idol" until Steven Tyler joined because the wife and I were both fans. I didnt watch "Breaking Bad" until a couple of months ago. "Bachelor/Bachelorette, Paradise" we watch for the mindless entertainment of it. I didnt watch "The Office"/"Parks and Rec"/"30 Rock" until this past year.

Sometimes I jump on it right away because it interests me and sometimes I get into a show hole and decide to finally check something out ("Walking Dead" for example)

Old 07-31-2017, 06:14 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
Breaking Bad wasn't popular because it was trendy, it was popular because of brilliant writing and excellent production. Breaking Bad was TV's first true masterpiece - the modern equivalent of the great American novel. It was good from start to finish and dealt with deep themes like obsession and the lure of darkness on those who have failed in life. Many of these shows are popular because they are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV