U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You have to remember too: The original TV show wasn't really about the 23rd Century. It was really about the 1960s seen through the lens of a supposed 23rd Century.

Back then, people were still dealing with all the horrors of the Holocaust that were the end result of the early 20th Century Eugenics Movement. Race was a huge issue in the 1960s, and we were beginning to play with genetic engineering. That is what the Eugenics Wars mentioned in "Space Seed" were about.

It also played brilliantly with the question: Why do people follow Strong Men? Why do perfectly decently people feel an attraction to leaders like Genghis Khan, Hitler, Mao? It really helped that Montalban was so wonderfully charismatic in the role.

That all culminated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which is still the best film adaptation of Moby Dick ever made. That story is all about hubris and vengeance and eath.
True, and I think a reason it so strongly connected with its fan base, and even casual watchers. So many of the shows made then were really not about much, and with the shadow of the broadcast standards and normal practices of the time, some of it couldn't have really been said so clearly in something not science fiction/fantasy.

The Holocaust still shadows our view of the intents and practices of nations and interests. There have been many genocides, but the vast reach and the minute documentation of that one will stand as an example of why not to for a long time. And the whole idea of employing eugenics to make better stronger humans is just young. DS9 used it as a major theme, with Bashir revealed as one of the 'aguments', and despite his luck in escaping banishment, even his friends had to deal with the new way they saw him.

The stuff which follows that time, movie and print, has often had themes about how while its still 'wrong', having almost lost a war which would have ended everything, many things were becoming acceptable which would not have been before. In a sense, this mirrors the growing uncertain directions we are taking society and technology, and especially how we choose to only see the good side of its use.

I have a short list of best trek movies, and Wrath of Kahn is on there. Most of the new ones in some manner are about a world in the process of change, and dealing with the uncertain rules of these new directions. I do like them, but Kahn was about a universal. It would be interesting if someone like him, someone with an agenda and the means of growing it in the uncertain times post Dominon, was to emerge and have that aura of control and yet stability, and how many teetering Federation worlds would welcome it without considering where it would go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Can we please, FTLOG, get out of the 2200s and continue the great stuff going on in the 2300s?!

PLEASE.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 PM

3,131 posts, read 1,084,043 times
Quote:
BREAKING: Nicholas Meyer Working on Khan Limited TV Series Geek

All rumor from "sources" at this point. So I'll believe it when I see it. But if Nicholas Meyer is involved, I'm hopeful.
Hmmm. If I didn't know better, I would say that the geekexchange site channeled a thread that I started in the Movies section. A thread that was started prior to 07/30/17:

Physical Traits or Aspects In a Movie That Have Turned You Off

But anyway... just as long as Khan doesn't have bangs.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
But anyway... just as long as Khan doesn't have bangs.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I beg your pardon...

Are you calling me an evil villain?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:16 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,718,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I beg your pardon...

Are you calling me an evil villain?
Anyone who criticizes Khan's hair has to have at least a little darkness in his heart.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Quote:
Yup. TNG took a while to find its feet. The first season in particular had some really goofy episodes and moments. But once the show found its feet, it became my favorite Trek incarnation. I can still watch it.
But some good ones in that first season, too.. "Arsenal of Freedom" is still a top episode for me. And they setup alot of things that fed forward.. The Binars and the Traveler.. Lore. The first inkling of the Borg. The failure to establish the Ferengi as a villain has reverberated through the franchise in a positive way.

I always thought S1 was better than S2.. S2 was hurt by the writers strike and while I didn't HATE Pulaski.. I wasn't a fan of the switch to her. But.. Of course.. S2 brought us Guinan, which I still think was a tremendous asset to the show.. And fully brought the Borg in as a threat.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM

5,591 posts, read 2,429,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I'm still confused by what Khan really is..He's supposed to be like South Asian right? But he was originally played by a Mexican, then later a British guy
And to show you how awesome Ricardo Montalban (RIP) was, he was 46 when he first portrayed Khan, and in his (very) early 60s when he reprised the role for the movie.

Let's see Bob Downey do that!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Anyone who criticizes Khan's hair has to have at least a little darkness in his heart.
Says the guy who doesn't like the new "Wonder Woman" movie... and who mocks its main movie quote:

Quote:
It's not about "deserve." It's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.
which is practically a Judeo-Christian principle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or