Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

BREAKING: Nicholas Meyer Working on Khan Limited TV Series – Geek

All rumor from "sources" at this point. So I'll believe it when I see it. But if Nicholas Meyer is involved, I'm hopeful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
BREAKING: Nicholas Meyer Working on Khan Limited TV Series – Geek

All rumor from "sources" at this point. So I'll believe it when I see it. But if Nicholas Meyer is involved, I'm hopeful.
Interesting. I just hope this Khan is more like Ricardo Montalban's version.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Will you have to pay to watch it like the other new show? Cuz not gonna.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Interesting. I just hope this Khan is more like Ricardo Montalban's version.
If it is another pasty white Brit, then I say we drop clawed bugs into Nicolas Meyer's brain.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 AM

322 posts, read 275,884 times
I'm still confused by what Khan really is..He's supposed to be like South Asian right? But he was originally played by a Mexican, then later a British guy

Old 08-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I'm still confused by what Khan really is..He's supposed to be like South Asian right? But he was originally played by a Mexican, then later a British guy
Ignore the recent movie. Please.

From: Khan Noonien Singh | Memory Alpha | FANDOM powered by Wikia

He was the product of a selective-breeding and genetic-engineering scientific program, based on the eugenics philosophy that held improving the capabilities of a man improved the entire Human race. Augments produced by the program possessed physical strength and analytical capabilities considerably superior to ordinary Humans, and were "engineered" from a variety of Earth's ethnic groups. Khan's background was suspected to be Sikh, from the northern region of India.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:08 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Augmnets are a long standing part of trek world, along with the distrust and apreciation of them. But not publically.

Bashir is also an augment, in his case done since Mom and Dad wanted a better son. He got to stay because his brain happened to be very useful right then, with the upcoming war. And in the books which follow DS9, Section 31 zeros in on him as their new 'asset' and he goes along for his own reasons. But the work done to make Singh is part of the beginnings of 31 too.

A look back movie about the beginnings of 31, parallel to the making of Federation paradise would be really interesting.

But at the time trek was born, there would never have been a 31 or its beginnings, since the initial vision was one of an unrealistically idealistic world where nobody connected with the good guys would even consider doing that. Kahn and his crew were portrayed as the work of a disavowed science, and were never welcomed into the 'world' that made them. But fans from the start disregarded that idea in fan generated stories since it just doesn't happen that way in real life. Anything useful, gets used.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Kahn and his crew were portrayed as the work of a disavowed science, and were never welcomed into the 'world' that made them. But fans from the start disregarded that idea in fan generated stories since it just doesn't happen that way in real life. Anything useful, gets used.
You have to remember too: The original TV show wasn't really about the 23rd Century. It was really about the 1960s seen through the lens of a supposed 23rd Century.

Back then, people were still dealing with all the horrors of the Holocaust that were the end result of the early 20th Century Eugenics Movement. Race was a huge issue in the 1960s, and we were beginning to play with genetic engineering. That is what the Eugenics Wars mentioned in "Space Seed" were about.

It also played brilliantly with the question: Why do people follow Strong Men? Why do perfectly decently people feel an attraction to leaders like Genghis Khan, Hitler, Mao? It really helped that Montalban was so wonderfully charismatic in the role.

That all culminated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which is still the best film adaptation of Moby Dick ever made. That story is all about hubris and vengeance and eath.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You have to remember too: The original TV show wasn't really about the 23rd Century. It was really about the 1960s seen through the lens of a supposed 23rd Century.

Back then, people were still dealing with all the horrors of the Holocaust that were the end result of the early 20th Century Eugenics Movement. Race was a huge issue in the 1960s, and we were beginning to play with genetic engineering. That is what the Eugenics Wars mentioned in "Space Seed" were about.

It also played brilliantly with the question: Why do people follow Strong Men? Why do perfectly decently people feel an attraction to leaders like Genghis Khan, Hitler, Mao? It really helped that Montalban was so wonderfully charismatic in the role.

That all culminated in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which is still the best film adaptation of Moby Dick ever made. That story is all about hubris and vengeance and eath.
Interesting insight. The first season of Star Trek: TNG also had episodes that discussed issues that were at the fore during that time. Like drug addiction; Nancy Reagan had her "just say no" campaign. And there was also an episode that dealt with ozone depletion that caused a planet's population to lose their ability to reproduce. Though there's still a hole in the ozone layer, I think the late 1980s was around the time the nations of the world banned CFC's. Much of the first season of TNG tried to mimic the original Star Trek.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Much of the first season of TNG tried to mimic the original Star Trek.
Yup. TNG took a while to find its feet. The first season in particular had some really goofy episodes and moments. But once the show found its feet, it became my favorite Trek incarnation. I can still watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV