U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:51 PM

7,159 posts, read 7,599,158 times

Advertisements

"Castle"

Every single episode was the same.

Cold open to the murder. Cut to Castle doing something at home with his mother or daughter (usually childish). Phone rings. It's Beckett. They "caught a murder". Cut to Castle and Beckett sharing conversation approaching the crime scene. Investigate and make an arrest. Beckett drills the suspect "in the box". But wait! Their alibi checks out! Investigate some more until another arrest is made but this time it is the actual suspect. Cut to Castle at home with his mother.daughter again.

Every single episode followed the same process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 PM

7,159 posts, read 7,599,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post

Happy Days (at least during the Richie years) often followed this format:

1 or all the gang is in trouble of a minor or major nature and after they fail at fixing things on their own for whatever reason, SURPRISE, Fonzie has to come to the rescue & make it all work out in the end.
I am actually watching Happy Days now. It only really followed that formula for the first couple of seasons. After say, season 3 it was all about Richie standing up for himself and finding ways to bail Ralph and Potsie out of their drama.

If there was anything you could point to as predictable it was Mr C's life lessons each week

Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM

37,066 posts, read 17,464,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
THE LOVE BOAT was one of those late '70s early '80s TV shows that should have been called HAS-BEEN GUEST STAR OF THE WEEK.

FANTASY ISLAND was the same way. It was almost like HOLLYWOOD SQUARES, only with a plot and sets.
The Hollywood old timers must have loved this show, it provided hack paydays for so many of them.

And Fantasy Island.....how come no one ever got upset that instead of the great fantasy which they paid for, they always wound up getting some moral lesson from Mr. Rourke. I never understood how it was supposed to be working, if Rourke could really transport people back to the age of dinosaurs and elsewhere, what in the hell was he doing trying to make a few lousy bucks off tourists? He has a time machine...and none of the guests ever questioned the fact that this white suited hustler chose to make it available only for tourists?

It seemed like many of the fantasies would have cost a great deal more than the 50K that was charged.

The one part of the show I did like was the arrival of the guests where Rourke would stand around explaining their fantasies to that cheap little exposition device, Tattoo. He would say preposterous things which were never questioned...."You seeeee, Tattoooo, like most tax attorneys, Mr. Jenson's fantasy is to be a great opera singer."

Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 PM

688 posts, read 657,950 times
House. Loved Hugh Laurie, hated the show. I only watched a few eppies before I became bored. Then again, it was a medical show, so I'm not sure what I was expecting.
Someone walks in with a basic illness, they prescribe the regular treatment. Treatment doesn't work.
Ok, well it must be this, let's try this, Doesn't work.
Must be this. Try this. Doesn't work.
Must be this. Try this. Doesn't work.
Meanwhile person gets sicker and sicker.
What's wrong? What could it be? We've tried everything, blah, blah...
He's going to die if we don't find what's wrong with him.
Last two minutes of the show, right before the patient takes his last breath, they find the cause of the illness, administer the remedy. Person gets well and lives happily ever after.
There's a show on now called Scorpion that follows the same formula.

The Real Housewives of wherever (yes I watch, don't judge me)...
There's the HBIC who turns out the be the nuttiest, loudest, most narcissistic one out the group.
Someone holds a charity event, someone argues at said charity event,
cast members meet up to talk about said incident at charity event.
They have a cast trip, someone argues on cast trip,
cast members meet up to talk about said incident on cast trip.
Two cast members are on the outs. One cast member holds a gathering and invites the two cast members and hopes they don't fight. Of course they fight. C'mon.
New cast member comes on and brags about how perfect her marriage is and how rich they are...
next season, same cast member is talking about divorce and husband left her with nothing.
They wear too much makeup, too much hair and clothes that show way too much cleavage.
And yet, I still watch (sigh)

Old 08-12-2017, 02:34 PM

886 posts, read 356,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I am actually watching Happy Days now. It only really followed that formula for the first couple of seasons. After say, season 3 it was all about Richie standing up for himself and finding ways to bail Ralph and Potsie out of their drama.

If there was anything you could point to as predictable it was Mr C's life lessons each week
I hear you but it still seemed like there were more episodes with Fonzie saving the day even if at first Richie, Ralph, Joanie, etc ask him not to.

For example, remember the corny episode where Fonzie stood up to some teacher who accused Potsy of cheating? Not sure if the boys were in college yet or not. It was when Potsy sang "Pump Your Blood".

I cringe in shame that I even remember that.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:17 PM

15,103 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And Fantasy Island.....how come no one ever got upset that instead of the great fantasy which they paid for, they always wound up getting some moral lesson from Mr. Rourke. I never understood how it was supposed to be working, if Rourke could really transport people back to the age of dinosaurs and elsewhere, what in the hell was he doing trying to make a few lousy bucks off tourists? He has a time machine...and none of the guests ever questioned the fact that this white suited hustler chose to make it available only for tourists?
The original TV movies actually had more of a horror / Twilight Zone feel. Roarke gave people their comeuppance via their fantasies. But network TV immediately toned that down to a silly fantasy-of-the-week followed by moral-of-the-story formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The one part of the show I did like was the arrival of the guests where Rourke would stand around explaining their fantasies to that cheap little exposition device, Tattoo. He would say preposterous things which were never questioned...."You seeeee, Tattoooo, like most tax attorneys, Mr. Jenson's fantasy is to be a great opera singer."
Yeah, I was always kind of shocked SNL never did anything with that. It seems to begging for a parody.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:40 PM

1,387 posts, read 603,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
"Castle". Every single episode was the same.
I thought Castle was one of the most creative and interesting shows in a long time. They certainly excelled at verisimilitude, and both the characters and plots were complex. I was sad to see them go.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 PM

941 posts, read 460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
House. Loved Hugh Laurie, hated the show
Last two minutes of the show, right before the patient takes his last breath, they find the cause of the illness, administer the remedy. Person gets well and lives happily ever after...

One of my favorite dramas of recent times. Glad they chose Laurie over Dennis Leary for the part.

I like one of the recurring bits right before the the patient takes his last breath, wherein nobody has a clue whats up, until either one of the family members, hospital staff, or a new patient House is seeing during the obligatory clinic duty, happens to mention a phrase something like lawnmower in a general conversation.

House immediately jumps up and/or leaves what he was doing w/o saying a word to anyone, including a brand new patient, runs into the ailing patients room and tells them they have an infection in their foot that has spread to a hard to see part of their lungs!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 PM

886 posts, read 356,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post

I like one of the recurring bits right before the the patient takes his last breath, wherein nobody has a clue whats up, until either one of the family members, hospital staff, or a new patient House is seeing during the obligatory clinic duty, happens to mention a phrase something like lawnmower in a general conversation.

House immediately jumps up and/or leaves what he was doing w/o saying a word to anyone, including a brand new patient, runs into the ailing patients room and tells them they have an infection in their foot that has spread to a hard to see part of their lungs!
I think The Closer used to often do something similar too if I'm not mistaken where Brenda would be perplexed about some case and eventually find the solution during a conversation with her fiance/husband.

He'd innocently say some phrase or word, she'd get a lightbulb moment, and then later we find out that it reminded her of a reason why some guy is guilty of murder.

All that clarity just because her husband said something simple like "lettuce." Lol.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 PM

5,601 posts, read 2,440,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
90% of sitcoms are the same formula, just with different characters. There haven't been any really innovative sitcoms since MY NAME IS EARL and MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE went off the air.
Parks and Recreation (TV Series 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV