U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:43 PM

3,733 posts, read 8,519,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
First of all: No more cops. No more lawyers. No more doctors. Enough already.

I would watch a show where Mr. T and Pee Wee Herman traveled the country in a van, fighting crime and rescuing the innocent from dark wizards.

I can promise you, I would watch hours of that before I watched another show about navel-gazing cops, over-worked lawyers, or horny doctors.
Well, you'll be happy to know that Chicago Justice was cancelled as is not being renewed for a second season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 02:21 PM

899 posts, read 1,306,079 times
I believe the movie writers are running out of ideas too. Everything is a remake from the 80s and 90s! Where's the creativity?

Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM

7,159 posts, read 7,599,158 times
Networks have no choice but to play it safe and stick to what works. They survive on ad dollars. Cable networks survive on ad dollars and carriage fees. That is how a show like "Suits" (to pick a random example) can get to 100 episodes with only 1-2mil viewers and a .34 key demo rating. An over the air show would never make it past episode 1 with that rating.

It isnt so much that they are out of ideas. They just cant afford to make a mistake.

People claim to be tired of doctors, lawyers, firefighters, and cops yet that is what remains successful on the networks.

I agree that there is a ton of quality tv out there. Folks just have to look for it.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:28 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,944,191 times
I would love another vigilante show like The Equalizer that was on years ago. Doubt it would go over on network TV with the political correctness that has invaded Hollywood these days.

Even better how about another show like Dr. Quinn or Highway to Heaven? Dr. Quinn was still doing well in the ratings when CBS decided to change the direction of Saturday nights. Something inspiring. Yes I know it's a direct contradiction to my first idea but I miss TV shows that remind us of values and family, etc.

I realize these aren't original ideas but I don't think there is much left that hasn't been done already.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 AM

1,898 posts, read 630,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
TV is not out of ideas. We are living in a Golden Age of spectacular television.

Daytime TV? I don't know. I'm at work, but I suspect it's pretty much what it has always been: soap operas, game shows, talk shows, court shows, and movie re-runs. Most stations run the dreck during the day since most people are at work. It's been that way for 40 years.
Your opening statement, about living in Golden Age of TV, would have been accurate 40-50 years ago.

OP: Blame the lack of new ideas partly on what you're using to read this...

Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 AM

15,102 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would love another vigilante show like The Equalizer that was on years ago. Doubt it would go over on network TV with the political correctness that has invaded Hollywood these days.
Man, I loved the Equalizer when I was a kid. I actually re-watched the first season on DVD a few months ago. You know what? It still holds up. Great show.

Quote:
Even better how about another show like Dr. Quinn or Highway to Heaven?
The problem with shows like Dr. Quinn is that they are fairly expensive to produce. Lots of extra dollars spent on costuming, set building, on-location shooting, horses, etc. So the show has to be a pretty big hit to pay for itself. Whereas yet another show about yet more cops, lawyers, and doctors can simply go raid the props closet of the last five shows cancelled about cops, lawyers, and doctors.

But if you like great period dramas, check about TURN on AMC. Very different than the book and it plays very fast and loose with the history, but still a great TV period drama.

Quote:
Something inspiring. Yes I know it's a direct contradiction to my first idea but I miss TV shows that remind us of values and family, etc.
The last show I can think of that tried that was TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL. And guess what? It was a big hit. I suspect a big reason why shows like that have gone off the grid is that there is no one to write them anymore. Hollywood has spent the last two decades pushing out filmmakers that remind us of values of family, faith, etc.

Quote:
I realize these aren't original ideas but I don't think there is much left that hasn't been done already.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it." (C.S. Lewis)

"Originality is over-rated." (Me)

Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 AM

5,467 posts, read 2,317,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, enter your ideas for a new show or a new type of show here...

Being home all day, I notice there are a LOT of judge shows. And on many of those show, I see judges who make what seem to me to be mistakes because they do not fully understand the issue.

I think it would be cool to see an "Appellate Judge" show. Someone can come in and say "Judge Judy done me wrong." and the appellate judge would review the case and uphold - or rebuke the "lower" decision. JJ might have to come in and defend her decision. I think that would be a fun show.
I like that idea! An appellate judge show that would take appeals from all the other judge shows. Brilliant!

Judge Judy gets half her rulings wrong anyway, but this is still better than the others.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 AM

21,482 posts, read 22,735,197 times
The show I wish would be rebooted is regular, original flavor Law & Order. No gimmicks, just the police who investigate crimes and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders. chun-chun

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
It's not that it is necessarily out of ideas; it is more of what people are willing to risk their cash on.

That said, "Guilty Conscience" where, in one concept, you have people in some kind of waiting room and they see something external which gets them thinking about events in their own lives and fearing, perhaps in a paranoia sense, to whether or not they have been discovered......and the viewers get to see what is going on in their minds.

NOW, if someone goes off and makes a 7 year series out of that, to make oodles and oodles of money, I should kick myself for posting it here.

In all honesty, however, it's not my idea. A boss once said, "wouldn't that be a great TV show" when I told him about my fears in such a situation in a waiting room I was once in.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM

8,383 posts, read 5,039,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's amusing to me that you claim TV has run out of ideas, so you offer up an idea for YET ANOTHER court show.

Well I guess this depends on how much different a show has to be to qualify as a new ideal. For me a large twist to a genre is sufficient.

Sounds like you think whole new genres have to be created often or at least each season to be considered a new idea. I don't think that is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or