U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 AM
 
Location: SC
8,384 posts, read 5,042,665 times
Reputation: 12049

Advertisements

So, enter your ideas for a new show or a new type of show here...

Being home all day, I notice there are a LOT of judge shows. And on many of those show, I see judges who make what seem to me to be mistakes because they do not fully understand the issue.

I think it would be cool to see an "Appellate Judge" show. Someone can come in and say "Judge Judy done me wrong." and the appellate judge would review the case and uphold - or rebuke the "lower" decision. JJ might have to come in and defend her decision. I think that would be a fun show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,104 posts, read 19,749,708 times
Reputation: 17240
TV is not out of ideas. We are living in a Golden Age of spectacular television.

Daytime TV? I don't know. I'm at work, but I suspect it's pretty much what it has always been: soap operas, game shows, talk shows, court shows, and movie re-runs. Most stations run the dreck during the day since most people are at work. It's been that way for 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM
 
5,092 posts, read 4,367,890 times
Reputation: 4337
Some one somewhere else made the point that most of the good writing has migrated to the cable stations and streaming TV services. Over-the-air TV is recycling old shows and concepts. Movies are going all in on superheroes and space opera serials.

So the good ideas are there and still being produced, you just have to find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 AM
 
Location: NJ
3,733 posts, read 8,522,597 times
Reputation: 2698
The problem with TV in general, especially with network TV, is that they need to air shows that appeal to the masses to make money. This is why there are so many cop and lawyer shows in primetime. This is the type of show that captures a broad audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 PM
 
8,086 posts, read 3,909,687 times
Reputation: 27677
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, enter your ideas for a new show or a new type of show here...

Being home all day, I notice there are a LOT of judge shows. And on many of those show, I see judges who make what seem to me to be mistakes because they do not fully understand the issue.

I think it would be cool to see an "Appellate Judge" show. Someone can come in and say "Judge Judy done me wrong." and the appellate judge would review the case and uphold - or rebuke the "lower" decision. JJ might have to come in and defend her decision. I think that would be a fun show.
It's amusing to me that you claim TV has run out of ideas, so you offer up an idea for YET ANOTHER court show.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,616 posts, read 6,129,713 times
Reputation: 9155
I always thought that Scandal and House of Cards should do a cross-over hybrid series.

For those that are familiar with both shows, this would be the opening shot:

Olivia Pope is walking down one of the hallways in the White House and as she turns the corner, Francis Underwood walks up to her, stretches out his hand, and says "its nice to finally meet you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 PM
 
3,823 posts, read 2,018,329 times
Reputation: 5944
I can only speak for television programming in the evening, as I do not watch daytime television.

Remember that show Wife Swap? Well I always thought it would be interesting to do a show where teens spent a week living in their parents shoes and vice versa. Have the teen be responsible for going to work, paying the bills, cleaning the house and taking care of the kids. Then have the parents go to school, do the homework, deal with all the stuff their child deals with on a daily basis. Sort of give them both an understanding of how life really is for each one. Maybe help them appreciate each other a little more and be more understanding of what they have to go through. Just an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 12:54 PM
 
8,086 posts, read 3,909,687 times
Reputation: 27677
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I always thought that Scandal and House of Cards should do a cross-over hybrid series.

For those that are familiar with both shows, this would be the opening shot:

Olivia Pope is walking down one of the hallways in the White House and as she turns the corner, Francis Underwood walks up to her, stretches out his hand, and says "its nice to finally meet you."
I've had similar thoughts, but since I've never watched HoC, I thought it would be amusing with The West Wing (if it were still on). Of course, that would cause a problem for Will Bailey/David Rosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,495 posts, read 22,741,215 times
Reputation: 45233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
TV is not out of ideas. We are living in a Golden Age of spectacular television.

Daytime TV? I don't know. I'm at work, but I suspect it's pretty much what it has always been: soap operas, game shows, talk shows, court shows, and movie re-runs. Most stations run the dreck during the day since most people are at work. It's been that way for 40 years.
And with streaming and on demand options, you can watch whatever you want whenever you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,104 posts, read 19,749,708 times
Reputation: 17240
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, enter your ideas for a new show or a new type of show here...
First of all: No more cops. No more lawyers. No more doctors. Enough already.

I would watch a show where Mr. T and Pee Wee Herman traveled the country in a van, fighting crime and rescuing the innocent from dark wizards.

I can promise you, I would watch hours of that before I watched another show about navel-gazing cops, over-worked lawyers, or horny doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top