Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
According to what I read, ABC cancelled the series primarily because it was very expensive (a million dollars per episode).

I remember that being mentioned back then. The FX were the sort you saw in movies, with a few highlights, but there were a lot more.

Cost wasn't the only reason. The shows Executiive producer/writer tended to get specific, and had problems with the network when they said no. Now, with computer generated fx, and endless options, you can. Back then the best sf films only had so much as it, wasn't in budget. Today it might be a different story.

The other problem was with the production itself, with expectations beyond budget and resulting problems. I'm not sure why they were not released on disc but those made but not shown were not.

I think a lot of the sf/space operas/ of yesterdays would look a LOT different if they had the options they have now. But its really fun to read what the fx guys in the first Star Trek ended up using for theirs. The first which was really experimental used a great variety of means. Some would say today we have to MANY FX moments.

What I find in some of the newer stuff is too much reliance on it over real story. No matter how good the wow, if the story it tells isn't powerful enough, its failed as a drama which is the core of all the fancy computer fx you can jam in since without being able to tell a story its not one. Too bad, with a little more cooperation he could have made some awsome tales.

One major problem was director vrs network, JMStranski (think that's the spelling) expected to have full say over script and fx, which isn't how tv does it. I don't know if he completed it, but was intending to do it as an illustrated comic if the story past tv didn't happen.

I'd have loved to see it, but given that writers don't tell producers and networks what their stuff says not so likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
I loved that show, it was decades ahead of its time. Lorne Greene was great as was the rest of the cast. I was heartbroken when they cancelled it. The reboots and sequels followed did not compare in any shape manner or form to the original. The original was truly an original: like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, The Fugitive, All in the Family, Alfred Hitchcock, X-Files, MASH, Sopranos, Mad Men,Breaking Bad, etc. It only lasted a season, but oh what a season.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I loved that show, it was decades ahead of its time. Lorne Greene was great as was the rest of the cast. I was heartbroken when they cancelled it. The reboots and sequels followed did not compare in any shape manner or form to the original. The original was truly an original: like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, The Fugitive, All in the Family, Alfred Hitchcock, X-Files, MASH, Sopranos, Mad Men,Breaking Bad, etc. It only lasted a season, but oh what a season.

Thank you! We are joined at the hip regarding this series! It's tough to have a minority opinion, but gotta stand for what you believe in!

Old 12-03-2018, 05:42 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
In doing some research on the series, I found out that few of the actors on it went on to do any other major work.

Well, let's see (go by character names since there is less of a risk of mangling them)

Adama:--he was a star before the show
Tigh:--he was a star before the show
Apollo:--something of a star before the show
Starbuck:--Hello, the A Team?
Cassiopeia:--something of a star before the show, Isis, Charlie's Angels, Streets of San Francisco. One must keep in mind that the industry for an actress after the age 30 isn't as great when one is in their 20s.
Boomer:--something of a star before the show, something of a star afterwards. Mr. Jefferson was a very recognized face in that time.
Athena:--a Fantasy Island, a movie, but hers was rather a tragic story
A lot of the pilots, boy wise, did parts in other Bellasario shows such as Magnum, such as Airwolf.......do you know which one, which is the only one, though, that has "flown" a Baa Baa Black Sheep Corsair, a Viper, and Airwolf?
Flt. Corp, Rigel (Sarah Rush):--a part here and there, think she was in a movie about the yacht America, but that's the bit parts
Omega:--a movie
Baltar:--he was a star before the show
Lucifer:--he was a star before the show
The Imperious Leader:--he was a star before the show
Sheba:--a Troll flick, Airwolf, probably other parts
Dr. Salik:--he was a star before the show
Boxey:--here and there but that's being a kid star for you
Women Viper Pilots: here and there, some with lots of work such as Leann Hunley, some with not so much as Jennifer Joseph, some who made a name for themselves before the show such as Janet Julian. It goes back, mostly, to what I said about Cassiopeia in that it's a young woman's industry. After all, with character shots such as this, there's little doubt that looks are the main issue.
https://galacticasagaofastarworld.bl...iper-seat.html

Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, let's see (go by character names since there is less of a risk of mangling them)

Adama:--he was a star before the show
Tigh:--he was a star before the show
Apollo:--something of a star before the show
Starbuck:--Hello, the A Team?
Cassiopeia:--something of a star before the show, Isis, Charlie's Angels, Streets of San Francisco. One must keep in mind that the industry for an actress after the age 30 isn't as great when one is in their 20s.
Boomer:--something of a star before the show, something of a star afterwards. Mr. Jefferson was a very recognized face in that time.
Athena:--a Fantasy Island, a movie, but hers was rather a tragic story
A lot of the pilots, boy wise, did parts in other Bellasario shows such as Magnum, such as Airwolf.......do you know which one, which is the only one, though, that has "flown" a Baa Baa Black Sheep Corsair, a Viper, and Airwolf?
Flt. Corp, Rigel (Sarah Rush):--a part here and there, think she was in a movie about the yacht America, but that's the bit parts
Omega:--a movie
Baltar:--he was a star before the show
Lucifer:--he was a star before the show
The Imperious Leader:--he was a star before the show
Sheba:--a Troll flick, Airwolf, probably other parts
Dr. Salik:--he was a star before the show
Boxey:--here and there but that's being a kid star for you
Women Viper Pilots: here and there, some with lots of work such as Leann Hunley, some with not so much as Jennifer Joseph, some who made a name for themselves before the show such as Janet Julian. It goes back, mostly, to what I said about Cassiopeia in that it's a young woman's industry. After all, with character shots such as this, there's little doubt that looks are the main issue.
https://galacticasagaofastarworld.bl...iper-seat.html
What is the definition of a "star" as best as I can remember only Ben Cartwright and Michael Douglas' replacement on The Streets Of San Francisco were immediately known to me. The others would have been working actors who played the girlfriend or hood of the week on other shows.
The trivia question my guess would be LT promoted to Captain Casey in the Marines a mercenary Airwolf pilot , a HPD office on Magnum PI and even later the assistant US Navy JAG W.K. Stratton.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
What is the definition of a "star" as best as I can remember only Ben Cartwright and Michael Douglas' replacement on The Streets Of San Francisco were immediately known to me. The others would have been working actors who played the girlfriend or hood of the week on other shows.
The trivia question my guess would be LT promoted to Captain Casey in the Marines a mercenary Airwolf pilot , a HPD office on Magnum PI and even later the assistant US Navy JAG W.K. Stratton.

You are right about W. K. Stratton (it's in trivia in his entry on IMDB). Your details are a bit hard to read so I will clarify.

In Baa Baa Black Sheep, he was Casey. In the Airwolf pilot movie, he was the weapons operator. In BG, he was a pilot in "Murder on the Rising Star".

As far as what makes one a star is that their name and face are recognized. I think when I caught a re run of The Rookies, I said, "Is that Apollo?".

As far as Tigh goes, that is Joe Brocker (sp?) from McCloud. The greenest Viper pilot I posted the picture of was Nancy Drew (with Shaun Cassidy). As I said, Laurette Sprang was a common face on the Saturday morning show of Isis, which made her familiar enough when she showed up on Charlie's Angels in "Consenting Adults" (one of my favorite quotes there from that show, "FREEZE OR YOU'RE PART OF THE WALL!").

Herbert Jefferson, Jr. was more of the guest star before, but I do believe he was in McCloud, "Sharks", I believe......and the CAG in the Airwolf pilot movie.

Dr. Salik was a face all over the place, from McCloud to the Wild Wild West to Judging Amy.....why, he even was GOD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV