Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:14 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Nice summary of Enemy Mine. But I think that junior was born more near the middle of the film and Dennis Quaid raised him.
Yeah, you're probably correct - it was an interesting film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
As a supporter of the original series, I will admit they tried too hard to establish a culture of this Battlestar group seeking Earth, especially with the time: A "centon"? Even Star Wars used minutes and seconds as measures of time in their part of the galaxy! Came off corny everytime I heard somebody mention it. "Now hold on a centon"
Also, you have to think that somehow their language has been translated into English so we can understand what these aliens are saying. I would think this means all words - including time, distance and "cussin."

Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 PM

6,414 posts, read 4,908,175 times
Loved this show, it was way ahead of its time. Lorne Greene was the best.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:51 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Of course I remember.......including Jimmy Carter breaking in on the pilot movie as the Vipers were rushing into battle.

A, B, and C.

A: Have the series, a time or two over.

B: It is often referenced in my diary, from altering one side of the bargain, to who is on my team (gun-ice planet zero), Athena, etc..

C: Reviewing my buying records, some how I manage not to have Galactica: 1980.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:08 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
In doing some research on the series, I found out that few of the actors on it went on to do any other major work.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I can't believe I missed this thread. I was a big fan of the original although using the same fight scene over and over didn't help the show, I still loved it. Galactica 1980 was horrible. I had looked forward to it when I heard it was coming but was highly disappointed. The reboot was awesome except for the final show.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I can't believe I missed this thread. I was a big fan of the original although using the same fight scene over and over didn't help the show, I still loved it. Galactica 1980 was horrible. I had looked forward to it when I heard it was coming but was highly disappointed. The reboot was awesome except for the final show.
Well for the day we were not getting any better. Most couldn't even re-watch the Star Wars on a VHS tape yet. Buck Rogers featured the same battle scenes reused as UFO a decade before. Or the Enterprise using the same phaser blast.

Even Baa Baa Black Sheep using real aerial photography with surviving Corsairs, Zero simulators trainer planes and occasionally another WWII era aircraft featured the same. But then seeing as the real life VMF-214 was only in combat for a few weeks in real time for them to develop different tactics on the spot would be even more unrealistic.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I watched the origional with dedication. After the image of the future shown by Star Trek Classic, with the past mostly buried and their revival the time, Galactica was refreshing. It was about survival. It was about trying to keep alive enough that some day, a day dreamed of and hardly real, that they would settle again and try to start over. But they'd never forget the nightmare and those who were no longer alive, or so damaged they were not recognizable. And Adama had to be both the inspiration and the harsh truth when it came to defending themselves. They didn't have the fx that the later version had, but it had a much harsher, and devistating feel from the first.

I also loved the later series. It got into the sticky reality that they and their ememies were related, and the Cylons had been abandoned. And how much they were the same. And to survive, both would have to give. But it was also the same story of how do you survive, day after day, knowing your world, your life and your future must find a way. When does pure survival run out as a motivation, and *perhaps* making something new begins.

The origional was also compelling, but in a different way. They woke not knowing if they'd be alive by sleep. They slept grateful that they'd had one more day. The series, minus some of the neato fx in the later, had a gritter feel. Its this story about who survives, and why. And deeply damaged, who just gives up and finds a way. It was supposed to carry on with more ties to the Cylons, but met a wall called cancellation. It would have been interesting how differently it interpreted the story.

I have a vhs player, haven't used it in a while. No telling if it works. I'd love to see not only the origional, but another show, Babalon 5, as well, which is avaiable but hard to find and very expensive. And the grudge against other future sf last wars held by the director/creator.

It's interesting we don't see much of the theme now, of aliens in retreat after losing some war, and intent on taking over someone else. But as fx have gotten so good its hard to tell they are, the story part of a space drama is going to have to be good to to hold the audience like cool fx used to.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
According to what I read, ABC cancelled the series primarily because it was very expensive (a million dollars per episode).

Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I remember watching the premier of BG back in the seventies... I was blown away by the SFX of the time. I thought - what a GREAT show.

Then by the 3rd or 4th episode - after seeing the same Viper take 3 or 4 shots at the same Raider as it was climbing and banking to the right before getting hit - I got totally bored with the SFX.

The same hand on the joystock repeated pressing the turbo and fire buttons. I bet they regretted hiring Herbert Jefferson Jr because it cost them an extra fee for the "black hand" on the joystick. But then at least like the others, they only had to film it once.

Also from the beginning, I thought the Cylon Raiders were far cooler than the Colonial vipers.
At least I can say that I did like the Galactica as much as I did the Base Stars.

For all it's limits though, it was an interesting show for the few years; but is hard to watch now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7zDfGVh74
They used the same flying sequences in the show "Black Sheep Squadron" over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV