U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 AM

191 posts, read 69,221 times

Advertisements

1. Is it easy to set up?
2. Are other people in the family still able to use the internet with ease or is my viewing of Netflix going to slow it down for them? (This is my biggest concern about getting netflix installed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:57 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,116,423 times
It's easy to set up, and there are many ways to watch: PC, mobile device with Android or IOS apps, you can use a Roku or Chromecast to watch on your non-smart TV, etc.

Question 2 depends on your internet speed. DSL, might slow it down, cable internet probably not.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:37 AM

1,661 posts, read 878,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
It's easy to set up, and there are many ways to watch: PC, mobile device with Android or IOS apps, you can use a Roku or Chromecast to watch on your non-smart TV, etc.

Question 2 depends on your internet speed. DSL, might slow it down, cable internet probably not.
good answer. I have the 2 device plan for $9.99 a month. There is a 4 device plan for $11.99 a month.
But as Ellise already stated your Internet speed is crucial.

There are several options on the Internet to test your speed since chances are your provider only promised speeds "up to" _____. In my case I have Xfinity Blast that promises "up to" 75 Mbps and when I test it on independent sights it seems to live up to and sometimes exceed that number.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 AM

8,071 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Unless you've got less than 15 Mbps or your family does serious gaming, I don't think you'll experience significant noticeable slowing.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM

6,166 posts, read 3,285,841 times
This is Netflix's own speed test https://fast.com/. 5mpbs is what they recommend for HD streaming but will work in SD all the way down to 0.5. Whatever you have in excess would be available for your other connections.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Also Netflix has a free trial period, so just try it out and see.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 AM

191 posts, read 69,221 times
Hopefully the connection issues will be okay. Will see how I get on with the free trial and take it from there.

Thanks all,

Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 AM

1,661 posts, read 878,477 times
A bit of a sidebar but last night my wife and a friend visiting were watching Jane The Virgin on Netflix. I decided to go in the room and try something different but when I tried to log in I got a message that two devices were already streaming....
A Roku streaming Jane The Virgin and an Ipad streaming Shameless. We don't own any Apple products and so I was wondering if I needed to change my password.Turns out my daughter who lived here for part of a summer two years ago had inadvertently logged in to my account rather than hers last night on her Ipad.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
A bit of a sidebar but last night my wife and a friend visiting were watching Jane The Virgin on Netflix. I decided to go in the room and try something different but when I tried to log in I got a message that two devices were already streaming....
A Roku streaming Jane The Virgin and an Ipad streaming Shameless. We don't own any Apple products and so I was wondering if I needed to change my password.Turns out my daughter who lived here for part of a summer two years ago had inadvertently logged in to my account rather than hers last night on her Ipad.
I'm betting she doesn't actually have an account, and you just didn't know she's been using it this whole time.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,295,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm betting she doesn't actually have an account, and you just didn't know she's been using it this whole time.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Yes I think inadvertently should have been in italics....

Old 08-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yes I think inadvertently should have been in italics....
Or have "air quotes"
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or