U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:43 PM

7,196 posts, read 7,537,868 times

Advertisements

This show has gotten better with every episode, give it a chance.
I have not seen a bad David Simon Production yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:44 AM

1,273 posts, read 519,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Watched the pilot last night. Liking it so far. They have really captured what a ****hole NYC was in the early 70's.

I've watched it from the start, and you can take that to the bank!
Some of the sex scenes in "The Deuce" are a tad raw though, even making an old roué like me feel uncomfortable.
My very first time in the U.S. was a week in NYC in June 1976, my then girlfriend and I stayed at The Edison hotel on W 47th., one thing I remember is that the travel agent in London where we booked the trip said, "Hotels in the U.S. can be a bit old fashioned, as you have different surnames, if you get asked, say that you've just got married, and your wife hasn't updated her passport!"
I was mid 30s, my G/F was 23, both born and raised Londoners, who thought that we'd seen everything, well I thought that I had, but strolling around Broadway, and 42nd St. at ANY time of day, and being offered drugs I'd never even heard of, blew me away.
A couple of days in, my G/F asked me to take her jacket to the dry cleaners, there was one on 8th. Ave, just around the corner.
As I ambled up 8th., a hooker smiled from a doorway, "Hey Honey, wanna date?" and gave a price, can't recall exactly, let's guess $20, I just kept going.
on my way back, she saw me again, and thinking perhaps that I'd thought about it, said, "Hi sugar, how about $15?", I just shook my head, and she shot back, "You want bargains honey, go to Macy's!"
I was back again in '79, staying with a friend on 114th and Amsterdam, and we'd hang out in bars around Columbia U., and I always got psyched when girls would say, "Oh I just luurve your accent!"
Midtown was a fascinating hell hole, but I couldn't get enough of it, now watching "The Deuce", I'm right back in New York City in my 30s. again.
Incidentally Gary Carr, who plays C.C. the pimp, featured in a light hearted cop show on U.K. TV, "Death in Paradise" as a uniformed cop on a formerly British island in the Caribbean, a world away from pimping in NYC, a very good actor.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 AM

673 posts, read 239,218 times
David Simon and Richard Price are men I do expect more from. I also think it is a huge waste to have Maggie Gyllenhaal but then not use her normal voice which is one of the best & prettiest feminine voices out there. They didn't have to make her have a NY accent. Takes away half of her magic (to me). Great subject matter in show but so far very let down with the writing. I will stick with b/c I hope they get a new showrunner or something happens for next season that is an improvement.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,213,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Great subject matter in show but so far very let down with the writing. I will stick with b/c I hope they get a new showrunner or something happens for next season that is an improvement.
We'll have to disagree. The writing is superb. Every time the credits roll, I'm like "It's already been an hour?!?". Time flies on this show, the characters just come alive. Nobody, NOBODY, makes a story come to life like David Simon does.

New showrunner? This is David Simon's show. He created it, writes it, makes it happen. There is no show without him. HBO loves him, for obvious reasons. They already said this is a three season show. This first season in 1972. The next season will be set in the late 70s. And the third and final season sometime in the mid 1980s.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 AM

673 posts, read 239,218 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
We'll have to disagree. The writing is superb. Every time the credits roll, I'm like "It's already been an hour?!?". Time flies on this show, the characters just come alive. Nobody, NOBODY, makes a story come to life like David Simon does.

New showrunner? This is David Simon's show. He created it, writes it, makes it happen. There is no show without him. HBO loves him, for obvious reasons. They already said this is a three season show. This first season in 1972. The next season will be set in the late 70s. And the third and final season sometime in the mid 1980s.
Do you think Mr David Simon was half as present for this show as he was for The Wire? Honestly.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,213,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Do you think Mr David Simon was half as present for this show as he was for The Wire? Honestly.
I enjoy both shows, The Wire and The Deuce. But they are very different shows. I have no way of answering your question.

It's like comparing Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Very different shows. Very good shows. Vince Gilligan behind both. Is he half as present for BCS as he was for BB?

Again, you're asking a question that none of us can answer. Either you like a show or you don't.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,431,183 times
Even MrsM enjoyed The Deuce.

Can't wait for next season

Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,174,423 times
We enjoyed it and look forward to next season

Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 PM

15,073 posts, read 17,063,044 times
I'm really enjoying "The Deuce". Looking forward to next season...

Old 08-12-2018, 11:13 PM

911 posts, read 428,340 times
Season two Sundays in September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV