U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:33 AM

8,382 posts, read 5,030,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You made it farther than I did. I only watched the first episode. It started out mediocre and kept getting worse. I did watch to the end to see if it got any better, but after the credits started rolling, I realized that I had completely wasted an entire hour of my life.

I hadn't felt so disappointed since back in 1984 when I sat through the 2+ hours of the film Dune when it first came out in theaters.
Just Kidding!

Yea, I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed draining those two hours of life from my veins. I must have three or four copies of that book in my library; and each time I tried to read it, I could NEVER get past the first chapter. I once decided that so many people think it is a good read that something must be wrong with me, so I skipped ahead to the next chapter to see if it got significantly better. I could only get a paragraph in before giving up again. God that's a horrible read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:19 AM

21,006 posts, read 25,781,024 times
I enjoy Person Of Interest, but it is odd that their assignment is to save a life and they kill a whole bunch of people to do it.

Battlestar Galactica (which was not my favorite) the few last remnants of the human race fleeing extinction, who landed every week on a different planet populated by humans and every planet all speaking English.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 3,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Luke from Gilmore Girls.

I thought he was one of the more moral characters of the show, but when he didn't try to talk Dean out of getting married, even when he had plenty of reason & opportunity to, I thought that was just wrong.

It wasnt his place to tell Dean anything of such an intimate and personal detail. Him & Dean arent friends or family. Realistically no one would step in in that situation since its none of their business. Plus its definitely in line with his character. This is the man who pined for a woman for years and never told her not to date anyone who was clearly not good for her; and thats someone he IS actually good friends with.

I personally HATE how they made Rory a habitual adulterer.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 3,252 times
I HATE HATE HATE how they make up conflict out of nowhere for Jim & Pam in season 7. Its lazy writing. Oh, we finally got the power couple together and theyre *gasp* happy! What a terrible hole we wrote ourselves into! They could have easily cut out the cathy/brian/philly b.s. The show was a comedy and then they throw in some heavy stuff in the mix. Its awkward and clunky and unnecessary.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 AM

1,444 posts, read 847,851 times
A meaningless inconsistency in Married with Children (but I've thought about over the years)...

Al & Peg were high school sweethearts, @ Polk High in Chicago. So they were urban kids.. But thru the show, Peg's family were depicted as rural hillbillies from fictional Wanker County (in Wisconsin, I think).. Guess it could've been explained that Peg's family moved to the country after raising Peg. But Peg's family was depicted as such deeply ingrained rubes, like they spent generations in an Appalachian-like environment. Not sure how they reconciled Peg's Chicago upbringing w/Wanker County roots.
Did I miss something (?)

Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,589,430 times
One that always stood out to me was "Three's Company". So many episodes centered around some sort of misunderstanding when a simple sentence would clear everything up.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,362,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
One that always stood out to me was "Three's Company". So many episodes centered around some sort of misunderstanding when a simple sentence would clear everything up.
That was the nature of the show - it was designed as a comedic farce. Same thing with I Love Lucy. Both always used the plot point of a simple misunderstanding leading to mad-cap comedy.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,362,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
A meaningless inconsistency in Married with Children (but I've thought about over the years)...

Al & Peg were high school sweethearts, @ Polk High in Chicago. So they were urban kids.. But thru the show, Peg's family were depicted as rural hillbillies from fictional Wanker County (in Wisconsin, I think).. Guess it could've been explained that Peg's family moved to the country after raising Peg. But Peg's family was depicted as such deeply ingrained rubes, like they spent generations in an Appalachian-like environment. Not sure how they reconciled Peg's Chicago upbringing w/Wanker County roots.
Did I miss something (?)
I always took it to mean that Peg's parents were from Wanker County but moved to Chicago sometime before Peg went to Polk High.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:00 PM

6,760 posts, read 2,623,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post

Did I miss something (?)
I don't know if you missed anything, but hats off to you if you could stand to sit through even one full episode of that awful show.

Last edited by ClaraC; 11-27-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM

5,682 posts, read 2,791,795 times
I love MWC. The idea that Peg's parents moved to Chicago does make sense, since she often referred to the various...issues of her wacky relatives, but I do not recall her ever saying anything that led the viewer to believe she grew up in Wanker County. Her mother must have moved back there, though, since all the running jokes about Al's mother-in-law led us to believe she lived there.

On The Golden Girls, the layout of their house bears no resemblance whatsoever to the appearance of the house that they use in establishing shots. Similarly, the house used for the establishing shots of Empty Nest (which was depicted as next door to the Golden Girls) is so different architecturally that I cannot imagine them being on the same block. The GG house, a ranch-type house, is on a quiet, residential street, surrounded by deep-shade oaks and lush landscaping, while the EN house, a two-story contemporary, has virtually no trees near/around it and has lots of cars zipping past as the camera rolls. I know the "real" GG house was in Brentwood/LA, while the EN house is in Newport Beach, CA, but the least they could have done was try to match the "look" of the girls' neighborhood if they were going to say the Westons lived next door to the girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or