U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:31 AM

667 posts, read 233,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
A meaningless inconsistency in Married with Children (but I've thought about over the years)...

Al & Peg were high school sweethearts, @ Polk High in Chicago. So they were urban kids.. But thru the show, Peg's family were depicted as rural hillbillies from fictional Wanker County (in Wisconsin, I think).. Guess it could've been explained that Peg's family moved to the country after raising Peg. But Peg's family was depicted as such deeply ingrained rubes, like they spent generations in an Appalachian-like environment. Not sure how they reconciled Peg's Chicago upbringing w/Wanker County roots.
Did I miss something (?)
This always bugged the hell out of me, too. I always thought Peg was "ethnic" (Italian-American, maybe?). She looked, dressed and acted like a typical Jersey Shore type from the 1980s with the super big hair and outfits, so it never made sense to me why they went that route with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:49 AM

667 posts, read 233,127 times
Any time there's a "shock death" on a show that's totally gratuitous and comes across as mean-spirited, that takes it down several notches for me. Examples:
  1. Dr. Romano on ER getting his arm sliced off one season by a helicopter, then getting crushed by another helicopter the next. Actually, there were several deaths like that, too numerous to mention.
  2. Kutner's suicide on House.

Another thing that takes a show down a notch for me is when it's obvious that a writer or producer is infatuated with an actor or character and turns him or her into a Mary Sue. All of a sudden, everyone is in total love with this person, this person always saves the day and every major event seems to center around him or her. Examples:
  1. ER: Three men and a lesbian fall madly in love with Neela and all fight over her at the same time. One of them actually loses his legs over her.
  2. Star Trek Voyager: It stopped being an ensemble show and practically most of the last few seasons centered primarily around Seven of Nine and the Doctor. Seven was also heavily involved in most of the stuff that was going on on the ship. Don't get me wrong; I liked the character and all but the show was better as an ensemble cast and not the Seven of Nine show.

One last pet peeve, when it always seems as if it's only the minority characters who ever get "sacrificed" off a show for ratings. Again, ER was the most guilty of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or