U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 06:06 PM

389 posts, read 229,121 times

Advertisements

A lot of stuff I read on forums is about older people complaining about the state of quality of TV/Film and music in the 21st century. This is more personal experience here, but I don't really think that the slip in quality of that kind of media today in 2017 is as bad as people have suggested, even with pop music today. I'm not ashamed to admit my likeness for a lot of today's pop artists and albums. The only modern Top 40/Pop songs that I actually don't like at all are the more rap/hip-hop style beats or lyrics that sometimes still play on the CHR radio stations, maybe unless it also features a sexy female vocal .

But there are still things I don't like about Film/TV/Music, but it really has more to do with the business and practices behind it, not the actual artistic or story content itself. There are still a lot of stuff that I don't like to watch or listen to, but I tend to stay mostly neutral about modern media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 09:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 1,586,531 times
One of the main problems is that it is filled with violence, sex and sarcasm. There are no depictions of honest, good people who care about themselves and their families. It is such ugliness portrays in movies and tv, all negative, negative, dark, dark, dark, horror, torture, violence, war, anonymous sex, indifference to suffering, etc.

Be nice to see an uplifting program about a happy family. And i don't mean religious programming.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 AM

3,877 posts, read 2,043,199 times
To answer your question...yes I do think modern tv/film/music is still good a lot of the times.

You have so many options available to you that you should be able to find something you would enjoy.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 AM

15,168 posts, read 19,819,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Do you think modern TV/Film/Music is still good a lot of times?
No.

There are exceptions, of course. Game of Thrones had great music, as did Stranger Things. Westworld wasn't bad, if a bit too derivative for me.

Movie music has become nothing more than a sound effect. I don't remember the time a movie score stunned me from start to finish. THE MISSION maybe? And that movie is almost 30 years old.

Modern movie music sucks. So does most modern TV music. Why, back in MY day ... !

Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 PM

3,877 posts, read 2,043,199 times
Well if we are talking music IN movies and television....

I love the Bill Conti score to the US version of The Big Blue. It is one of my favorite movie scores.

I recently saw Atomic Blonde and thought that the soundtrack was really well placed. Great soundtrack.

The Dances With Wolves score is really good.

As for tv...

The opening song in season 2 of The Leftovers makes me angry. It causes a physical reaction in me that boils my blood. HATE IT!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:25 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,739,046 times
Quote:
There are no depictions of honest, good people who care about themselves and their families
There actually are. There are tons of family shows. Bobs Burgers for example. Mike Holmes and several others on HGTV and DIY. My Little Pony. I don't care for them myself, but all those shows like the Duck Dynasty people, Pawn Stars, etc, Living in Alaska - all about families taking care of themselves and others.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,444,133 times
TV is still good. Actually it gets better and better now that they are allowed to show more instead of pretending like sexuality and violence doesn't exist. As for film I think it has gone downhill in America. The best films tend to be the ones made overseas. Music is still good but you just won't hear it on Top 40 radio. Access to good music from streaming services has made it easier to find the music right for you.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM

4,866 posts, read 1,586,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
There actually are. There are tons of family shows. Bobs Burgers for example. Mike Holmes and several others on HGTV and DIY. My Little Pony. I don't care for them myself, but all those shows like the Duck Dynasty people, Pawn Stars, etc, Living in Alaska - all about families taking care of themselves and others.
Bobs Burgers is disgusting. I watched one episode years ago and the daughter kept sticking her hands down her pants. Repeatedly. HGTV and DIY and the like are just big advertisements disguised as a "show." And reality tv is fake and scripted. The people are paid to be in created situations. Let me call my buddy ... riiiiiiight. You mean the guy they told to call whom you've never met before? MM'kay.

That is not what I meant by "uplifting" tv. I meant programs that DON'T have dysfunctional, nasty, playing mean pranks on each other, sarcasm and name calling, chasing consumerism, all to evoke embarrassment and shame out of each person. TV today is disgusting. We cut the cord because there is NOTHING worth watching.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:08 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,444,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
One of the main problems is that it is filled with violence, sex and sarcasm. There are no depictions of honest, good people who care about themselves and their families. It is such ugliness portrays in movies and tv, all negative, negative, dark, dark, dark, horror, torture, violence, war, anonymous sex, indifference to suffering, etc.

Be nice to see an uplifting program about a happy family. And i don't mean religious programming.
What's so bad about sarcasm? Even shows in the early days of television had sarcasm. You can find a lot of uplifting programs about happy families but yeah there will be sarcasm and occasional dirty jokes but most of those jokes will go over kids heads. Overly wholesome is just not something most people can relate to. I grew up on ABC's TGIF and that had plenty of depictions of honest, good people who cared about themselves and family but they also had a ton of humor that included sarcasm, anger, and sex but it was never crude.

I'm not judging you because we all have the freedom to watch or don't watch whatever we like and of course there certainly are shows that take it way too far. I just think if you look hard enough there are certainly plenty of shows that are uplifting and not religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or