Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,580,688 times

Advertisements

My video tonight was really pixelated. Didn't know if it was ABC, DirecTV or my local channel. Anyone else have that issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,073,432 times
I really enjoyed seeing some of the previous competitors. I was thinking that it would be nice if DWTS would have a one night special with all the winners coming back (not as a competition) and performing 2 dances each and maybe a finale with only the winners dancing together. I would like to see Derek come back for this because he always had unique choreography.

One thing I like about the show is when someone comes on who may not win but just being on the show seems to change them. Perhaps they leave with more confidence and they feel better about themselves then they did before they started. Frankie reminds me of one of those people. He is having trouble believing in himself but I do think he will have more confidence in himself after it is over. I don't see him winning but you can tell he is having a great time and is trying really hard. Drew is another one who I feel is really trying his best. It isn't easy for either one of them but they haven't given up.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,292,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
My video tonight was really pixelated. Didn't know if it was ABC, DirecTV or my local channel. Anyone else have that issue?

I have Comcast/Xfinity and had no problem at all with watching the show.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,003,586 times
I still want Linsey to win, mainly because she has no dance experience. I adore Jordan but he's a Broadway performer and imo, that gives him an edge up, which in my book, is an edge down.

Either he or Linsey would be fine with me. I'm rooting a tiny bit more for Linsey.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I still want Linsey to win, mainly because she has no dance experience. I adore Jordan but he's a Broadway performer and imo, that gives him an edge up, which in my book, is an edge down.
Either he or Linsey would be fine with me. I'm rooting a tiny bit more for Linsey.

I've read that Lindsey has no dance experience too -- but, twice, including once last night, pros have referred to both Jordan and Lindsey as having had prior dance experience. I'd trust the word of the pros over that of reporters any day.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:07 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,003,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've read that Lindsey has no dance experience too -- but, twice, including once last night, pros have referred to both Jordan and Lindsey as having had prior dance experience. I'd trust the word of the pros over that of reporters any day.
I missed it. What was said about her experience? All I've heard is she wanted to be a dancer and a violinist but her dad could afford lessons for just one, and she chose violin over dance.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I missed it. What was said about her experience? All I've heard is she wanted to be a dancer and a violinist but her dad could afford lessons for just one, and she chose violin over dance.

When Frankie was bemoaning his lack of ability to match Jordan's and Lindsey's performances, Witney said that both of them have had prior dance experience. That was the 2nd time a pro has commented on that.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:01 PM

I’ve waited a while before posting my thoughts about last night’s show because I wanted to watch that awesome trio dance performed by Jordan, Lindsay and Corbin Bleu again. OMG, I’ve watched it twice and still want to watch it again.

In the beginning of this season, I didnt care for Terrell -- either his dancing or his attitude – at all. But, in the last couple of weeks, he’s changed. If Cheryl was the cause, then I applaud her. (She has a reputation for getting “upclose and personal” with her partners but, if that’s what it took, more power to her.) Anyway, last night I really admired how much Terrell had improved in both respects. He was much more fluid and looked like he actually belonged on the dance floor.

That’s one of the things I really like about this show: that the producers show us insight into the stars’ character development as well as their performance improvement. I didnt even like Terrell originally and there I was, last night, cheering for him.

I feel bad for Drew. He’s apparently as handsome on the inside as he is on the outside -- but, for the most part, he’s just too stiff and awkward to be a dancer in this competition. Some nights he’s lucked into a dance style that he can bluff through, but not last night.

I admired Victoria in the beginning but her whining has really been getting on my nerves lately. OK, I’m sure the spasm was painful and even frightening but could it have been “call her mother” (per Val) serious if she was able to execute her dance so masterfully the same day?

I’m tired of hearing about Lindsey’s ribs. And I didn’t care for Mark’s choreography at all. There seemed to be very little content. Maybe that was because Mark left out any moves that might be hard on Lindsey’s injury.

When I watched Frankie’s dance, the word that came to mind was “exquisite”, even before Carrie Ann described it that way. And, of course, Witney’s choreography just gets better and better. Frankie’s really developing into a good dancer, but his lack of confidence is irritating. I’ve become so jaded that I wonder if he uses it for viewer sympathy and votes.

The psychedelic circles during Jordan’s dance were distracting, but that was the only possible criticism. It’s a shame that he’s so good that we expect perfection from him every time. Of course, he always delivers it. I’ve watched every season of DWTS and he’s got to be the best star of all time. He's ever better than some of the troupe dancers.

The trio dances were interesting. In the past, the third party has been a member of the troupe and was usually the opposite sex of the star. Last night only Terrell had a trio member who was the opposite sex. I think there’s definitely a different dynamic when the trio member is the same sex as the star.

Anyway, Cheryl’s choreography was strange and didnt allow for Terrell to do much dancing. He pretty much stood in place while Cheryl and Kelly Monaco danced around him. Maybe that was because he had trouble learning two dances so Cheryl had to accommodate what he could handle.

I was so excited to see Rashad Jennings, one of my favorite stars, back! Rashad hasnt lost any of his awesomeness, which, unfortunately, high-lighted Drew’s shortcomings.

And, of course, we had to hear about Victoria’s legs again. I wish I’d had some wine to play the drinking game every time Victoria or Val mentioned her disability. Yes, I get it – the producers make them play up that angle, but it’s still frustrating. I thought their jive with Laurie Hernandez was a mess.

Again, I didnt care for Mark’s choreography in the trio dance with Kristi Yamaguchi. Surprising, because I’ve loved all his dances this season. I thought the judges scored them higher than they deserved. Of course, in past seasons, I’ve noticed that the judges have started scoring the will-be runner-up higher as the finals get closer – no doubt, for drama effect in the final weeks.

I absolutely loved the jive that Frankie, Witney and Alfonso Ribeiro performed. Frankie was in perfect sync and looked every bit as good as Alfonso. I just hope Witney can either improve Frankie’s self-confidence or get him to stop talking about it (and stop making those goofy “aww, shucks” faces).

I was so anxious to see the trio dance of Jordan, Lindsay and Corbin Bleu. Corbin was the only prior star who wasnt a mirrorball winner. (He was runner-up to Amber Riley in what was probably the worst DWTS decision ever.) Their performance was so electrifying, so thrilling, that I couldnt wait to watch it again today. It may well be the most memorable DWTS dance ever. “30” wasnt a high enough score.

I was actually a bit sorry, although not surprised, to see Terrell get sent home. I thought it might be Drew or even Victoria. Surely one of them will be sent packing next week.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 AM

4,336 posts, read 4,684,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I’ve waited a while before posting my thoughts about last night’s show because I wanted to watch that awesome trio dance performed by Jordan, Lindsay and Corbin Bleu again. OMG, I’ve watched it twice and still want to watch it again.

In the beginning of this season, I didnt care for Terrell -- either his dancing or his attitude – at all. But, in the last couple of weeks, he’s changed. If Cheryl was the cause, then I applaud her. (She has a reputation for getting “upclose and personal” with her partners but, if that’s what it took, more power to her.) Anyway, last night I really admired how much Terrell had improved in both respects. He was much more fluid and looked like he actually belonged on the dance floor.

That’s one of the things I really like about this show: that the producers show us insight into the stars’ character development as well as their performance improvement. I didnt even like Terrell originally and there I was, last night, cheering for him.

I feel bad for Drew. He’s apparently as handsome on the inside as he is on the outside -- but, for the most part, he’s just too stiff and awkward to be a dancer in this competition. Some nights he’s lucked into a dance style that he can bluff through, but not last night.

I admired Victoria in the beginning but her whining has really been getting on my nerves lately. OK, I’m sure the spasm was painful and even frightening but could it have been “call her mother” (per Val) serious if she was able to execute her dance so masterfully the same day?

I’m tired of hearing about Lindsey’s ribs. And I didn’t care for Mark’s choreography at all. There seemed to be very little content. Maybe that was because Mark left out any moves that might be hard on Lindsey’s injury.

When I watched Frankie’s dance, the word that came to mind was “exquisite”, even before Carrie Ann described it that way. And, of course, Witney’s choreography just gets better and better. Frankie’s really developing into a good dancer, but his lack of confidence is irritating. I’ve become so jaded that I wonder if he uses it for viewer sympathy and votes.

The psychedelic circles during Jordan’s dance were distracting, but that was the only possible criticism. It’s a shame that he’s so good that we expect perfection from him every time. Of course, he always delivers it. I’ve watched every season of DWTS and he’s got to be the best star of all time. He's ever better than some of the troupe dancers.

The trio dances were interesting. In the past, the third party has been a member of the troupe and was usually the opposite sex of the star. Last night only Terrell had a trio member who was the opposite sex. I think there’s definitely a different dynamic when the trio member is the same sex as the star.

Anyway, Cheryl’s choreography was strange and didnt allow for Terrell to do much dancing. He pretty much stood in place while Cheryl and Kelly Monaco danced around him. Maybe that was because he had trouble learning two dances so Cheryl had to accommodate what he could handle.

I was so excited to see Rashad Jennings, one of my favorite stars, back! Rashad hasnt lost any of his awesomeness, which, unfortunately, high-lighted Drew’s shortcomings.

And, of course, we had to hear about Victoria’s legs again. I wish I’d had some wine to play the drinking game every time Victoria or Val mentioned her disability. Yes, I get it – the producers make them play up that angle, but it’s still frustrating. I thought their jive with Laurie Hernandez was a mess.

Again, I didnt care for Mark’s choreography in the trio dance with Kristi Yamaguchi. Surprising, because I’ve loved all his dances this season. I thought the judges scored them higher than they deserved. Of course, in past seasons, I’ve noticed that the judges have started scoring the will-be runner-up higher as the finals get closer – no doubt, for drama effect in the final weeks.

I absolutely loved the jive that Frankie, Witney and Alfonso Ribeiro performed. Frankie was in perfect sync and looked every bit as good as Alfonso. I just hope Witney can either improve Frankie’s self-confidence or get him to stop talking about it (and stop making those goofy “aww, shucks” faces).

I was so anxious to see the trio dance of Jordan, Lindsay and Corbin Bleu. Corbin was the only prior star who wasnt a mirrorball winner. (He was runner-up to Amber Riley in what was probably the worst DWTS decision ever.) Their performance was so electrifying, so thrilling, that I couldnt wait to watch it again today. It may well be the most memorable DWTS dance ever. “30” wasnt a high enough score.

I was actually a bit sorry, although not surprised, to see Terrell get sent home. I thought it might be Drew or even Victoria. Surely one of them will be sent packing next week.
Agree with pretty much all you’ve written!!

Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Agree with pretty much all you’ve written!!

Thanks. With what parts didnt you agree? I love to hear other people's viewpoints. I've often thought about not posting my reviews -- 1st, because it gets harder to critique as the weeks go on, and 2nd, because I dont want to be the only voice here. In previous seasons, there was a lot more discussion every week. I miss that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV