U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 2,731,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Thanks. With what parts didnt you agree? I love to hear other people's viewpoints. I've often thought about not posting my reviews -- 1st, because it gets harder to critique as the weeks go on, and 2nd, because I dont want to be the only voice here. In previous seasons, there was a lot more discussion every week. I miss that.
These...

[When I watched Frankie’s dance, the word that came to mind was “exquisite”] <=== I just don't like him for some reason, so don't like to watch him dance.

[and he’s got to be the best star of all time] <=== Or maybe Meryl Davis. She and Maks were the perfect pairing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:10 AM

14,695 posts, read 18,763,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
These...
[When I watched Frankie’s dance, the word that came to mind was “exquisite”] <=== I just don't like him for some reason, so don't like to watch him dance.
[and he’s got to be the best star of all time] <=== Or maybe Meryl Davis. She and Maks were the perfect pairing.

I didnt like Frankie originally either. And I still dont care for him personally. It took me a couple of weeks to concede that, personal feelings aside, he's improved considerably.

And, while I liked Meryl Davis (and I love her pairing with Maks), I wouldnt put her in the same category as Jordan Fisher at all. I think it's much more dificult for a man, who's expected to lead when dancing, to perform as well as a female, who often just has to follow her male pro.

If you go to youtube for Meryl and Maks' dances (link below) and concentrate only on Meryl and then do the same for Jordan, you may agree that, as good as she was, Jordan outshines her when it comes to actual dancing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 AM

984 posts, read 397,444 times
Quote:
And, while I liked Meryl Davis (and I love her pairing with Maks), I wouldnt put her in the same category as Jordan Fisher at all. I think it's much more dificult for a man, who's expected to lead when dancing, to perform as well as a female, who often just has to follow her male pro.
Ergh, that makes my teeth grit.

It is true that leading is harder than following at the beginning stages of learning to ballroom dance. However, in this particular context, the female pros are often helping their partners (the technical term for this is "backleading") just as much as the male pros. "Just has to follow" is really not giving enough credit to that half of the partnership, there is just as much skill there, just a different kind.

ETA: That being said, yes, Jordan is amazing. I'd have to go back and re-watch Meryl's performances - she has a more delicate style than I usually prefer, so I'm a bit biased in that respect.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Ergh, that makes my teeth grit.

It is true that leading is harder than following at the beginning stages of learning to ballroom dance. However, in this particular context, the female pros are often helping their partners (the technical term for this is "backleading") just as much as the male pros. "Just has to follow" is really not giving enough credit to that half of the partnership, there is just as much skill there, just a different kind.

ETA: That being said, yes, Jordan is amazing. I'd have to go back and re-watch Meryl's performances - she has a more delicate style than I usually prefer, so I'm a bit biased in that respect.

Sorry, I figured my choice of words might offend some people -- that wasnt my intention at all.

I'm not a dancer of any kind and, although I've watched each show of every season of DWTS, I'd still never be able to do 1/100 of what the stars learn to do throughout one season. So I given them all credit for that. But I still think it's much easier to succeed on the show as a female star than as a male star.

I always thought a big part of the Meryl-Maks pairing was based on their supposed romance. Many of their performances included long gazes and body language that implied they were a couple. I thought that was genius marketing on Maks' part and brought in the votes. (I've long stated that I believe the winner is determined by the producers but they may occasionally be influenced by the voting.) Meryl was, indeed, very delicate, maybe a carryover from her ice-dancer days.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:09 AM

3,819 posts, read 4,873,134 times
Victoria's dance with Laurie shows how much Val's choreography compensates for her challenges. It was a mess and Laurie was the star.
She has an inspirational story and I feel like I should like her, but I cannot stand her. I hope she goes next.

I know Drew is currently filming for one of his shows. And he was selling Christmas stuff on QVC the other night. I bet they don't get a lot of time to practice.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Victoria's dance with Laurie shows how much Val's choreography compensates for her challenges. It was a mess and Laurie was the star.
She has an inspirational story and I feel like I should like her, but I cannot stand her. I hope she goes next.

I know Drew is currently filming for one of his shows. And he was selling Christmas stuff on QVC the other night. I bet they don't get a lot of time to practice.

I tried to like Victoria in the beginning, but I'm so tired of her whining. I agree it's time for her to go. I also agree that her trio dance jive was a mess.

And, as much as I like Drew, I have no sympathy for those stars who maintain a busy schedule, either touring or doing other shows, while they're on DWTS. I cant understand agreeing to be on a competition show and not being being aware of the amount of work necessary to at least be able to keep up with everyone else.

I'm sure the DWTS producers dont care about a star's schedule conflicts because that's probably the only way to get "real" stars in many cases. And, remember, the stars get paid a lot of money to make it through just the first elimination (although Drew definitely didnt do DWTS for the money).

Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,873,134 times
Quote:
I tried to like Victoria in the beginning, but I'm so tired of her whining. I agree it's time for her to go. I also agree that her trio dance jive was a mess.

And, as much as I like Drew, I have no sympathy for those stars who maintain a busy schedule, either touring or doing other shows, while they're on DWTS. I cant understand agreeing to be on a competition show and not being being aware of the amount of work necessary to at least be able to keep up with everyone else.

I'm sure the DWTS producers dont care about a star's schedule conflicts because that's probably the only way to get "real" stars in many cases. And, remember, the stars get paid a lot of money to make it through just the first elimination (although Drew definitely didnt do DWTS for the money).
I'm guessing Drew probably didn't expect to be in the competition this long. So his schedule may be busier now than it was earlier in the season, expecting he'd be long gone by now.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 PM

OMG, this week it's Jordan's partner Lindsay who's injured and "may not be able to perform on Monday's show":

DWTS Pro Lindsay Arnold Has Injured Her Knee

Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,900,995 times
Quote:
OMG, this week it's Jordan's partner Lindsay who's injured and "may not be able to perform on Monday's show":

DWTS Pro Lindsay Arnold Has Injured Her Knee
Fear not.

They totally and completely nailed Proud Mary. Great performance.

I'm still rooting for Linsey (with Mark). But I'll be OK if Jordan wins, which I suspect he will.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,900,995 times
Damn! Frankie and Witney! Paso. That was utterly fantastic. My favorite dance of the night.

They're getting criticized, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or