U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,881,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post

Yes, Jordan may be a ringer but he's, without doubt, the best dancer/entertainer/star ever to appear on this show.
I agree. And while improvement is huge and fun to watch, I find as much enjoyment (or more) out of watching Jordan and some other 'ringers' over the years. I hate all the 'ringer' talk. I don't recall this ever being advertised as "Dancing with Stars Who've Never Danced Before". Almost every type of person on the show has an advantage of sorts. Except maybe some reality TV 'stars'. Musicians have great musicality and rhythm. Athletes have strength and stamina. Some athletes, like skaters and gymnasts, have experience with choreography and dance. Actors can get into character easily. Most actors have danced, in some capacity, at some point in their careers. Plus, actors learn choreography, too, even if it isn't part of a dance. I'd be willing to bet if you polled every 'star' on the show, the vast majority of them have taken some sort of dance lesson at one point in their life. And, thinking back over the years, a lot of time the experienced dancers have struggled in their own way because they've had habits to break.

Quote:
How could Carrie Ann say that Lindsey is the most improved -- when all of us were predicting, after the first night, that Lindsey would be one of the two finalists?
I know- I was like "What are you talking about?!"

Quote:
I'd use a 1 paddle to score that phony telephone call from the executive producer to Witney, asking her to reconsider what kind of dance she wanted to use for Frankie's freestyle. The producers run that show and, had any of them really wanted Witney to do a different dance, they wouldnt have left it up to her. I kinda felt like they were jumping-the-shark for drama with that call.
I think Whitney missed the mark on the freestyle. She should have listened to the fake phone call, lol.

Quote:
Julianne's dance was breathtaking -- and the choreography was beyond words. I'd never heard of Marinda Davis but will be sure to google her name and see what she's done. Julianne was always one of my favorite female pros. She cant act or sing and although she knows dance, I didnt think she was that good a judge. But, OMG, can she dance. And I thought it was interesting that Mark Ballas and his wife BC Jean sang.
I agree. I wish she would go back to dancing. She is awful as a judge but she has always been one of my very favorite pros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 10:28 PM

14,701 posts, read 18,785,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I agree. And while improvement is huge and fun to watch, I find as much enjoyment (or more) out of watching Jordan and some other 'ringers' over the years. I hate all the 'ringer' talk. I don't recall this ever being advertised as "Dancing with Stars Who've Never Danced Before". Almost every type of person on the show has an advantage of sorts. Except maybe some reality TV 'stars'. Musicians have great musicality and rhythm. Athletes have strength and stamina. Some athletes, like skaters and gymnasts, have experience with choreography and dance. Actors can get into character easily. Most actors have danced, in some capacity, at some point in their careers. Plus, actors learn choreography, too, even if it isn't part of a dance. I'd be willing to bet if you polled every 'star' on the show, the vast majority of them have taken some sort of dance lesson at one point in their life. And, thinking back over the years, a lot of time the experienced dancers have struggled in their own way because they've had habits to break...
Great observation. I dont think I've ever seen that viewpoint presented with so much insight. I agree totally.

Quote:
...I think Whitney missed the mark on the freestyle. She should have listened to the fake
phone call, lol...

They got a 38. Two judges gave them 10s. I dont think they'd have done any better if the freestyle had been light and upbeat. And, actually, I think Frankie liked showing a different side of himself. I'm so glad his confidence is better but does anyone think he really has a chance of winning if Jordan and Lindsey dont break all their legs before tomorrow night? So why not choreograph a dance they'd both enjoy?

Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 PM

951 posts, read 874,774 times
I have really enjoyed this season---some exceptional dancers took part. I find Jordan a true joy to watch. I was rather upset with both Julianne's note about being in "Grease" with her (btw, he was a singer in that show, not a dancer), and the "Carlton" former star (why, oh why can't I remember names---just knew it a few seconds ago!!!) with his awful comment about "humble pie". I felt that was totally uncalled for, and, yes---I think both comments have already made a difference in the voting. (I went on the Facebook page and there were quite a number of unfavorable remarks about those comments, and vows to no longer vote for him because of them). I also saw that Lindsey has had some training, as she is billed as "the Dancing Violinist"; nevertheless, that freestyle of hers and Mark's was fantastic! I like Frankie and his growth, but must admit that I enjoyed the other two most this season.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I have really enjoyed this season---some exceptional dancers took part. I find Jordan a true joy to watch. I was rather upset with both Julianne's note about being in "Grease" with her (btw, he was a singer in that show, not a dancer), and the "Carlton" former star (why, oh why can't I remember names---just knew it a few seconds ago!!!) with his awful comment about "humble pie". I felt that was totally uncalled for, and, yes---I think both comments have already made a difference in the voting. (I went on the Facebook page and there were quite a number of unfavorable remarks about those comments, and vows to no longer vote for him because of them). I also saw that Lindsey has had some training, as she is billed as "the Dancing Violinist"; nevertheless, that freestyle of hers and Mark's was fantastic! I like Frankie and his growth, but must admit that I enjoyed the other two most this season.

Thanks so much for the info about Jordan's having been a singer in "Grease". I hope he can bring that into his video package tomorrow night.

It was Alfonso Ribeiro who made that humble-pie comment. I didnt quite understand what he meant by it, but your post makes it clear.

I think many more parts of DWTS are scripted than one might suspect. Who knows if Alfonso was instructed to make those comments, just for drama? After all, he owes his current career to Tom and to DWTS for giving him the hosting job of "America's Funniest Home Videos".

And thanks for the info about Lindsey. I had read an article in which she said that her parents gave her a choice of taking violin lessons or dance lessons and, of course, she chose the violin. So I figured she didnt have any dance training. I wondered why two different pros made remarks about her having dance experience. Now I know.

Even though I can be critical of what goes on in the season, I do enjoy watching DWTS. It's my very favorite show. I even go into a little withdrawal after the finale each season.

Last edited by TFW46; 11-20-2017 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Those pesky typos

Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,881,228 times
Quote:

They got a 38. Two judges gave them 10s. I dont think they'd have done any better if the freestyle had been light and upbeat. And, actually, I think Frankie liked showing a different side of himself. I'm so glad his confidence is better but does anyone think he really has a chance of winning if Jordan and Lindsey dont break all their legs before tomorrow night? So why not choreograph a dance they'd both enjoy?
I felt they did a lot of 'strong, serious' dances all season. The Trolls theme (Halloween?), which was awful, is the only light dance I remember off the top of my head.
I know the judges scored them well (has anyone ever been scored poorly on a freestyle? Not to my recollection), but I think it may miss the mark with the audience.
But, as you said, it doesn't matter anyway.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM

951 posts, read 874,774 times
Thank you, TFW46, for your comments and the rep---I tried to rep you but was told to spread it around, lol! If not scripted, I think DWTS, like most reality shows, is certainly edited for drama. Comments may be shortened, taken out of context, or "subtle suggestions" made as to what is said. And I do think that the producers have the final say-so on the results. That may or may not run counter to the public's vote. But that's just what I suspect, based on a vague recollection of reading about reality tv, and not something I am certain about. I voted for both Jordan and for Lindsey, but did not realize when I voted that Lindsey had dance training, even though Lindsay mentioned it in one of the packages.

And I agree with jaynarie about the contestants being "ringers". Honestly, often I really don't care that much if that is the case, unless we are led to believe otherwise (as in Lindsey's case). I just love the dancing, and it's much more fun for me to watch superior dancing than fumbling, poor performances that make me wince. (I feel so bad for some of the contestants). So bring on the finale!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I felt they did a lot of 'strong, serious' dances all season. The Trolls theme (Halloween?), which was awful, is the only light dance I remember off the top of my head.
I know the judges scored them well (has anyone ever been scored poorly on a freestyle? Not to my recollection), but I think it may miss the mark with the audience.
But, as you said, it doesn't matter anyway.

I've appreciated how much Frankie has improved. I didnt like him at all in the beginning but a few weeks ago I admitted that I was rooting for him --- not to win, but to get into the semi-finals. He and Drew are definitely the most-improved of all the stars this season. I'd probably pick Drew over Frankie for that title only because Drew was sooo terrible in the beginning.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:19 AM

21,468 posts, read 18,172,971 times
Quote:
I agree. And while improvement is huge and fun to watch, I find as much enjoyment (or more) out of watching Jordan and some other 'ringers' over the years. I hate all the 'ringer' talk. I don't recall this ever being advertised as "Dancing with Stars Who've Never Danced Before".
That is EXACTLY how DWTS was advertised as. "Stars" who had NEVER danced professionally before and who had not had ANY training by a person who WAS a professional dancer. As a matter of fact we were led to believe that the stars who had two left feet would be perfect contestants. That seemed to be what we saw the first year or two. We have had a sprinkling of such contestants over the past few years that come to my mind, not two left feet but no dance experience except maybe on the livingroom floor, Bindy Irwin, Bristol Palin, Metasomething the guy who refused to dance, "Rhoda", as examples. Frankie and Drew!!! Perfect examples of what the show was supposed to be all about. Putting people like them up against ringers like Jordan, perhaps Lindsey, is unfair.

Remember Chynna Phillips' meltdown in the middle of her dance? THAT was something I can understand happening to a non-dancing person. Kirstie Ally, another one who improved greatly yet didn't win. I think that is why Maks quit that one year. He got his stars greatly improved, except Hope Solo, and never won. HE knew the original premise of the show. So they gave him his own ringer in Meryl. It's blatant now that Disney owns them.

That dance Julianne did was spectacular. I almost cried when she went up to "heaven".

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 AM

987 posts, read 399,273 times
Quote:
Yes, Jordan may be a ringer but he's, without doubt, the best dancer/entertainer/star ever to appear on this show.
Agreed. I have thoroughly enjoyed all his performances. I would say he's my guilty pleasure, but I just checked myself and I'm just not even feeling guilty about it.

Having said that... Jordan made a comment about "we're going to give you something you've never seen before". And then, after a couple other Charleston and quickstep routines... we got a free-style from him with a bunch of Charleston to a very traditional Charleston/quickstep song. Umm, ok? It was well done, but tbh, did not feel "fresh" and did not blow my socks off.

Quote:
How could Carrie Ann say that Lindsey is the most improved -- when all of us were predicting, after the first night, that Lindsey would be one of the two finalists?
Ha ha, I also was like, what?!?

Quote:
Pit Bull? Again? Really? He's performed on DWTS at least 3 times -- and maybe more. Someone, please tell me why. Is he that popular? According to what I've read in the past, he's not particularly talented. He's not that attractive and it doesnt seem as though he can sing. "Gentleman's Quarterly" ranked him as the 9th worst rapper of all time. So what's with the love affair between DWTS and him?
That performance was so over-the-top raunchy (from everyone other than Pitbull) that I didn't even enjoy it. All the 5th Harmony singers giving him "come hither" looks, give me a break. I'm not opposed to some sex appeal and sensuality in the dancing and costuming where it makes sense, but it has gotten really ridiculous the past few years. It felt like strip club tryouts. I generally like Pitbull's music, but yeah, that didn't add any value to the show.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 781,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Jeez Oh Freaking Pete! That thing Juliane Hough did was off the charts amazing. The story and the dance together was one of the best performances I've ever seen, ever! I'd never heard of that choreographer before, but what a dance! What a performance!
I still miss Julianne on the show as an instructor. She's always been my all time favorite pro and I always loved the dances she came up with for her partners. I'd say both her and Derek are the ones I've found that created the most innovative and entertaining dances and were the pros I looked forward to watching most with their celebs before they left. Of all the current pros, I'd say Lindsey is my new favorite though.

And after all these years I still think season 4 and 5 were the best on the show, the years when Julianne won back to back mirrorballs. People took the show much more seriously back then and had their favorites that they supported fiercely and there were some great battles between Apollo Ohno and Joey Fatone and then Helio Castroneves and Mel B. the next season. People were actually upset when their favorites didn't win back then compared to now where it seems most people don't get worked up much at all these days.

Quote:
I think Jordan's been great, but so has Lindsey and although I enjoy watching both of them and think they're certainly up there with the all-time greats from the show I don't know if I'd say Jordan is 'the best ever' to appear on the show.

For me even though Apollo wasn't an all-time great dancer, I still enjoyed his and Julianne's partnership the most. Together they made a great team that was always fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That is EXACTLY how DWTS was advertised as. "Stars" who had NEVER danced professionally before and who had not had ANY training by a person who WAS a professional dancer. As a matter of fact we were led to believe that the stars who had two left feet would be perfect contestants. That seemed to be what we saw the first year or two. We have had a sprinkling of such contestants over the past few years that come to my mind, not two left feet but no dance experience except maybe on the livingroom floor, Bindy Irwin, Bristol Palin, Metasomething the guy who refused to dance, "Rhoda", as examples. Frankie and Drew!!! Perfect examples of what the show was supposed to be all about. Putting people like them up against ringers like Jordan, perhaps Lindsey, is unfair.
At this point after so many seasons and so many celebrities having appeared on the show, I'd think it might be kinda difficult to find at least moderately famous celebs who have had little to no dance experience who want to do the show. And also the show probably needed to change to keep itself fresh and not die off, so accepting people with some dance experience isn't that big a deal to me.

As for who's going to win the trophy, I'm fine with any of the finalists winning but if I had to put my money on someone it would probably be Lindsey because she has a big following on Youtube who could make the difference vs Jordan who I've never known before now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or