U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM

601 posts, read 263,027 times

Advertisements

"Stand by for more rescues ahead". I could not believe my eyes to see CNN and MSNBC and others having stationed reporters in the middle of rescue boats or next to them and trying to interview the rescuers and rescuees. Duh, bad timing! They seem in the way and very intrusive. They must think this makes for sensational television.

We also are seeing lots of video of big dogs taking up a place in rescue boats. One anchor on MNBC was going on and on about how dogs must be rescued; and the reporter on the scene quickly cut her off and reiterated that human rescues have priority. I have mixed feelings about this, but I do understand that pet owners consider dogs as part of the family and they cannot be left behind. I wonder where they are taking the rescued with dogs--special evacuation center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 AM

8,271 posts, read 10,510,884 times
During Katrina, many people refused to evacuate without their pets.

"For the first time, there was the realization of the strength of the human-animal bond," said Ana Zorrilla, CEO of the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. "That sparked incredible changes on state and federal levels requiring that pets be included in all evacuation plans."

Congress passed the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act in 2006, requiring plans for the evacuation of pets, as well as people.

The act was tested in 2008 during Hurricane Gustav, and it worked.
Crates for pets were placed at evacuation pickup points. Animals and their owners were banded with matching computer codes, and the animals were taken to the same locations as their owners, allowing them to spend time together.

Hurricane Katrina led to changes in pet evacuation laws | AL.com

Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,816,472 times
Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about the networks "ignoring" the hurricane and focusing too much on politics.

Ain't nobody happy I guess.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
I wouldn't evacuate without my pets if at all humanly possible. I heard a guy had to leave his 3 chocolate Labs behind and he is in despair that they have drowned. We are on flood watch right now in SW Florida.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM

4,040 posts, read 4,953,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I wouldn't evacuate without my pets if at all humanly possible.
I'm right there with you sister!

I would not leave behind my three dogs and five cats.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 PM

941 posts, read 459,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
"Stand by for more rescues ahead". I could not believe my eyes to see CNN and MSNBC and others having stationed reporters in the middle of rescue boats or next to them and trying to interview the rescuers and rescuees. Duh, bad timing! They seem in the way and very intrusive. They must think this makes for sensational television.

We also are seeing lots of video of big dogs taking up a place in rescue boats. One anchor on MNBC was going on and on about how dogs must be rescued; and the reporter on the scene quickly cut her off and reiterated that human rescues have priority. I have mixed feelings about this, but I do understand that pet owners consider dogs as part of the family and they cannot be left behind. I wonder where they are taking the rescued with dogs--special evacuation center?

Yup it sure does, and I don't like it, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Sometimes we just have to grin and bear it, as that's probably the only way we'll get the news, as it's happening!

When it comes to deciding which stories to put in which order for the upcoming broadcast, they go with the age-old adage..."If it bleeds, it leads".

I was watching the local news in LA between 1972-75, at a time where things were a little more innocent, and before all the in your personal/private face/space sensationalism began.

The on location news reporter was covering a live fire. Either the mother escaped, or just arrived, but her house, visible in the backround, was fully engulfed in flames, and sort of a backdrop for the interview.

The reporter asked her "How do you feel about losing your three/four kids in the fire?", then tipped the microphone towards her interviewee's mouth.

The shocked mother, not used to hearing/seeing these type of questions being asked, blurted out,

"How do you think I feel?"

As soon as she uttered the word "How", her voice quickly started trembling until it erupted into full out and out crying at the word "Feel" to which she immediately turned and ran away crying.

Looking back on that day as a precursor to the end of private moments and innocence, facetiously...
I'm guessing those were the good old days, huh...

I can surely understand pet owners not wanting to leave without their pets, however, their pet should not take the place of any human, unless it's that of the owner.

My understanding is, women and children first, unless the adult women does not have any children she is legally responsible for. If not, any and all children take precedence over her.

Pets should be last, unless there's room for them after all other forms of human life are already on board, no matter the gender or age of the pet.

Volunteers will make sure the pets go on the next boat with or without the pet owner, that's what they're there for.

If they use the argument that their pet is a family member and is their child, then as a parent, sacrifice your life for them.
Step up to the plate and let the pet go on the current boat in place of you, just like mothers or fathers would do for their children.

Sent from my iPhone, by the rule follower, not maker.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,777,362 times
I like the live coverage and the interviews of real people. If it gets to be too much or repetitive I turn it off. What I hate is the spots where a bunch of commentary heads are sitting around a table answering stupid questions or talking over one another.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Elsewhere on this forum is a thread about the networks "ignoring" the hurricane and focusing too much on politics.

Ain't nobody happy I guess.
Hahahah I was going to post the same thing!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 AM

3,150 posts, read 3,817,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I saw a story with a reporter in the boat, noting they had to leave some folks behind to wait for another boat. Maybe if the reporter and camera man were not in the boat, there would be room for the others.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:41 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,898,701 times
Most of it is staged. When I see an idiotic reporter standing in 3" of water wearing hip boots, I think of Brian Williams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or