U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 AM

5,674 posts, read 9,113,022 times

Advertisements

I just hope that in their rush to wrap up the series they'll stay true to the characters and the internal logic of the story, or shall we say the narrative demands. This is not a Sopranos kind of story where it's okay to sit on the couch with a bunch of unanswered questions after it fades (or switches!) to black. (Yes, I just binge watched Season 3-6 of The Sopranos!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM

7,724 posts, read 5,022,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Actually I hadn't meant to suggest that precise chronology, I meant that before the series concludes, the Night King will be defeated. Of course they could stage that defeat in some manner which requires a united effort, the end result of which is terminating some of the antagonists so that there is no need for further war.
Or maybe the Night King is a king that will never be replaced. He has been around since the First Men, Children of the Forest, etc.

I feel like the living baby boys of Craster would be the replacements if something would to happen to the Night King.

The Night King would warg to one of those kids and carry on.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 20,394,344 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wA38GCX4Tb0

Old 01-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
As for a sympathetic Night King, I don't see that happening because the show has done absolutely nothing to try and make him likable, or even knowable. What could they do?
They could show that his hatred of mankind is entirely justified. They've gone a long way toward that already.

One of Martin's mantras he has often repeated about good storytelling is: The villain is just the hero of the other side. Early in A Game of Thrones, I wouldn't have thought there was any way to make Jaime Lannister or the Hound sympathetic, but Martin did it.

I'm not saying Martin is going to turn the Night King into a tragic hero. But I do think he's going to end up being a lot more complex than a simple mustache-twirling villain who wants to tie Westeros to the railroad tracks.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:16 PM

39,554 posts, read 18,195,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They could show that his hatred of mankind is entirely justified. They've gone a long way toward that already.

They have shown that life is a mix of good and bad, of selfishness and noble sacrifice, of greed and of giving, where in one corner you have the High Sparrow or Brienne of Tarth, and in the other is Ramsey Bolton or King Joffrey. I haven't seen anything which would justify turning every living being into a mindlessly hyper violent zombie. You'll have to be specific, trot out the charges.

Quote:
I'm not saying Martin is going to turn the Night King into a tragic hero. But I do think he's going to end up being a lot more complex than a simple mustache-twirling villain who wants to tie Westeros to the railroad tracks.
Well, they had better get started on that quickly since to date he has been portrayed as having no personality whatsoever.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
They have shown that life is a mix of good and bad, of selfishness and noble sacrifice, of greed and of giving, where in one corner you have the High Sparrow or Brienne of Tarth, and in the other is Ramsey Bolton or King Joffrey. I haven't seen anything which would justify turning every living being into a mindlessly hyper violent zombie. You'll have to be specific, trot out the charges.

Well, they had better get started on that quickly since to date he has been portrayed as having no personality whatsoever.
Also, is the Night King's power only in Westeros? Why doesn't he go East with his Dragon and raise the dead there too?

I read in the books that the White Walker and Night King have their own form of language which sounds like crackling ice. Maybe, this season they introduce it.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen anything which would justify turning every living being into a mindlessly hyper violent zombie.
It's war. People do mean things in war. Was the bombing of Dresden nice? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? U.S. drone strikes the frequently kill civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq? But would we go so far as to say the U.S. is a Super Villain?

Quote:
You'll have to be specific, trot out the charges.
Well, I'm only going by what we've seen so far, but ...

The First Men came to Westeros thousands of years ago. After some brief conflict, they learned to live in peace with the Children of the Forest. Then the Andals came. With iron, they were able to wipe out the Children of the Forest, cut down or burn their sacred trees, and drive them into hiding. As a last ditch attempt for their own survival, the Children did something --- and we're still not sure exactly what --- that created the White Walkers and skewed the climate. But their weapon got out of control.

So is the Night King truly evil? Is he a tragic figure possessed by a true evil? Just a hero for the other side? Or even totally justified in his actions?

We don't know yet. But based on what we know so far, any of those is a possibility.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 AM

6,070 posts, read 4,019,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Or maybe the Night King is a king that will never be replaced. He has been around since the First Men, Children of the Forest, etc.

I feel like the living baby boys of Craster would be the replacements if something would to happen to the Night King.

The Night King would warg to one of those kids and carry on.
They showed that when a White Walker “dies”, all those that he resurrected also “die”. If they kill the first WW created, then all the “zombies” should fall.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
They showed that when a White Walker “dies”, all those that he resurrected also “die”. If they kill the first WW created, then all the “zombies” should fall.
There was a scene in which the baby was still alive and breathing. The Night King touched him and his eyes turned blue. We don't know how it works if the Night King turns a person that is still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfFwuH-55lQ

Old 01-14-2019, 07:24 AM

39,554 posts, read 18,195,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's war. People do mean things in war. Was the bombing of Dresden nice? Hiroshima? Nagasaki? U.S. drone strikes the frequently kill civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq? But would we go so far as to say the U.S. is a Super Villain?
Huh? None of the above happened in Westeros. Are you now saying that some malevolent entity would be justified in turning all the US citizens into mindless zombies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or