U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM

6,032 posts, read 6,531,293 times

Advertisements

I looked and was surprised I couldn't find a thread about this show.
It's airing on one of the nostalgia TV channels: Antenna TV or Cozi, or Me TV...one of them.

Watched the show when it was on originally during my late teens and early adulthood.
Maybe it was y age -- I was working going to school and never noticed -- but I never noticed how preachy this show was.

Was it MOST episodes? or just a few....where Quincy was on a soap box about some social issue?
I've only just noticed the in the last year of watching some reruns. OMG, the dialog was so stilted and unnatural.....and preachy. I suppose the writers did the best they could working technical information into the scripts. But, damn, I just found myself noticing it -- and thinking is this a TV show or Public Service Announcement?

Other than that, I like the show, and loved Jack Klugman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM

18,719 posts, read 4,709,108 times
I use to watch it all the time, liked Jack Klugman and Robert Ito.
Haven't seen it in many years now.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,063,484 times
I had the same reaction when I started re-watching the show. Quinc is REALLY preachy.

I love the scenes in the bar with the bartender friend played by Val Bisoglio, always thought it looked like a cool place to have a drink.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:44 PM

7,158 posts, read 7,594,161 times
He got more and more preachy as the show went on.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 AM

9,456 posts, read 7,607,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
He got more and more preachy as the show went on.
The first few seasons were better. Later it became more "issue oriented" and preachy.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM

1,445 posts, read 849,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Quincy is REALLY preachy..
Yeah.. it got old listening to the heavy-handed, cultural-Marxist speeches writers were putting in Quincy's mouth.

But that said, I really like the series & Jack Klugman's portrayal. And I think Quincy's place in TV history is underrated. It's depiction of medical science was unique for it's time. Most mystery shows focused on the psychological aspects of detective work/pursuit (& did for many years).

I believe Quincy was the blueprint for all the fictional crime-scene science shows that flourished years later (CSI franchise, Crossing Jordan, NCIS, etc). Also credit to New Detectives, which was on in the late 9os, documenting true accounts of crime scene science, & may have helped pique interest for subsequent crime scene fiction (?)

Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,292,643 times
I have 6 episodes left to watch in season 7. It is PREACHY. I find myself cringing whenever it's a socially conscious episode and not a plain old murder. Hopefully season 8 is better.

I grew up in that time period. For the most part 70s and 80s TV was pretty good. Especially the cop shows and dramas that I'm now old enough to understand. The only time it would get iffy is when writers decided to devote a handful of episodes to socially relevant issues. Sometimes it would be well done, but most of time you'd sit there waiting for the end where the actors would preach for a couple minutes. Hopefully season 8

Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM

13,015 posts, read 5,406,725 times
It's been so long since I watched. Could you give examples of why you mean by preachy? That's not something I remember, but lots of shows were preachy then.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 PM

558 posts, read 1,091,117 times
Sam was my first TV crush.

The show also made me want to be a M.E. I remember during "What do you want to be when you grow up?" conversations started one day in elementary school, I announced that I wanted to be a medical examiner, like Quincy. The room got really quiet and even the teacher seemed taken aback. I think I ate lunch alone every day for the rest of the year.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM

13,015 posts, read 5,406,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Sam was my first TV crush.

The show also made me want to be a M.E. I remember during "What do you want to be when you grow up?" conversations started one day in elementary school, I announced that I wanted to be a medical examiner, like Quincy. The room got really quiet and even the teacher seemed taken aback. I think I ate lunch alone every day for the rest of the year.
It made me want to do that too, but no one thought ill of it. Though I never did become an ME. I guess life got in the way. I still think it's fascinating they can tell so much about cause of death by examining the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or