U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM

1,657 posts, read 874,292 times

Advertisements

I have a Roku I like just fine in part because I hardwire its connection with ethernet cable. Not that I probably notice but an ethernet cable can carry more data faster than wifi. And that faster speed is consistent

Last edited by craig11152; 07-02-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:36 PM

500 posts, read 199,952 times
Roku all the way for me. Fire Stick no longer supports a YouTube app. And for some stupid reason, my Fire Stick (I have one in the bedroom TV's) has a difficult time loading Netflix as of late.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 AM

28,201 posts, read 2,196,057 times
newbie question, do I need internet to use one of these things? Xfinity jacked my bill up after the promotion & only came down a few bucks when I complained. I am looking into satellite service for tv & internet, but as I live in a heavily wooded area, I am not sure they will work, so I am looking for alternatives to cable.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
newbie question, do I need internet to use one of these things? Xfinity jacked my bill up after the promotion & only came down a few bucks when I complained. I am looking into satellite service for tv & internet, but as I live in a heavily wooded area, I am not sure they will work, so I am looking for alternatives to cable.
Yes you need Internet. You would be streaming content from the Internet through either device.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Yes you need Internet. You would be streaming content from the Internet through either device.

Thank you, I have satellite tech coming next week, to assess our home, I hope I can get it, or I will be stuck with the awful Xfinity to provide internet.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
.....or I will be stuck with the awful Xfinity to provide internet.
For what its worth here in Ann Arbor Mi I pay Xfinity about $80 a month for 100 Mbps of Internet service and a very basic TV package that are essentially channels I can also get from my antenna. The TV box won't pause, reverse or record. So if I miss a show we depend on On Demand to catch up.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:36 PM

3,704 posts, read 9,095,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I bought a Fire Stick expecting to like it better than the Roku. I don't really like it and I do not find it more user-friendly. I'd say it's almost the same, except for having to scroll through all of Amazon's stuff. I think for most people who aren't the most savvy, a Roku might be simpler.

I do not like that apps on Roku do not seem to update as much. When I asked them when they're going to update the Roku app for Hulu (since Hulu allows you to have separate profiles), they were basically like, "No, we don't have any idea, we're not really working on it." Seriously???
ROKU doesnít own the app or develop it. Apps like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, You Tube etc are all owned and maintained by that site, not ROKU. They might test apps that have been updated by the app owner to make sure it works with their existing platforms, but if they aren't working on it, itís because they're not the ones in charge of it.

We love our ROKU TV - it's even easier to work than the external devices and you have everything on the one remote including the mute button.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
For what its worth here in Ann Arbor Mi I pay Xfinity about $80 a month for 100 Mbps of Internet service and a very basic TV package that are essentially channels I can also get from my antenna. The TV box won't pause, reverse or record. So if I miss a show we depend on On Demand to catch up.
They put my bill up to $200 a month, which I won't pay, so something will have to go. And we only have the lowest tv package, no premium channels.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

886 posts, read 583,987 times
Roku is better but FireStick has "workarounds" that can allow you to use apps that provide not so legal access to content. Roku is definitely simpler to use and that is by design. It is so simple to use that sometimes its dinged for not having a modern, fresher look. It also has many more apps.
In addition, Roku always wins the comparisons on the tech sites.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:27 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,145,408 times
Quote:
Thank you, I have satellite tech coming next week, to assess our home, I hope I can get it, or I will be stuck with the awful Xfinity to provide internet.

You really do NOT want to do streaming using satellite internet. It's expensive, and has LOW caps on usage. It's not really viable for streaming, unless it's your ONLY choice. Even then, you won't be able to stream more than maybe 1-2 movies per week before hitting the monthly caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV