U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 02:15 PM

1,213 posts, read 273,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't hate her. In fact, she tore up the picture because of the very real issue of abuse by priests and nuns in the Catholic Church, and their hiding of the issue and not doing anything about it. The Church's actions on the abuse scandal forever taints it.
And there some abuse hidden scandals in Hollywood as Corey Feldman once mentionned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvlle8qQag8

Now I wonder what if Sinead O'Connor had ripped a photo of Roman Polanski?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Status: "...but I call you 'Stormy', today.'" (set 7 days ago)

1,532 posts, read 755,470 times
He and Woody Allen get a pass, for some reason. Or folks just choose not to look in that direction, ignoring it.

But tear up a photo of the Pope on national television? Bring out the torches and pitchforks! Everyone else is mad about it, I might as well be, too! No idea what's behind it, but monkey-see, monkey-do!*

*Only those who feel they fit the above mindset should be offended by this post.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM

12,986 posts, read 5,391,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
And there some abuse hidden scandals in Hollywood as Corey Feldman once mentionned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvlle8qQag8

Now I wonder what if Sinead O'Connor had ripped a photo of Roman Polanski?
She probably didn't even know Roman Polanski, but she knew what was happening in these Irish Catholic schools because she was there. The problem for Sinead is that she did it before the scandal really broke, and people didn't understand it at the time. If she had done it a few years later, everyone would know.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 PM

6,449 posts, read 6,457,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She probably didn't even know Roman Polanski, but she knew what was happening in these Irish Catholic schools because she was there. The problem for Sinead is that she did it before the scandal really broke, and people didn't understand it at the time. If she had done it a few years later, everyone would know.
She had a platform at that time but she went for the cheap thrill and squandered it...Sinead could have named names and helped to expose the wrongdoing but instead, she started a fight she wasn't willing (or capable) of finishing...

Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 PM

1,213 posts, read 273,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
She had a platform at that time but she went for the cheap thrill and squandered it...Sinead could have named names and helped to expose the wrongdoing but instead, she started a fight she wasn't willing (or capable) of finishing...
Could be possible then she might have received some threats if she exposed the wrongdoing which explain why she went for the cheap thrill?

Then I wonder how Sinead O'Connor would had reacted if she had read these articles from Salon? They are deleted from their website but archived copies are saved on the Wayback Machine and Archive.is.
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017...-up-the-slack/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150922...not_a_monster/
http://archive.is/WiZ6I

Old 09-17-2017, 09:26 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,491,488 times
Quote:
Why does she have to finish a fight? Artists don't do that. If a painter or filmmaker were to make a piece of work that is a statement, they aren't expected to do that. It's supposed to be an inspiration for the audience and then they make changes. Nicole Kidman just got an Emmy for playing a domestic abuse victim. Is she supposed to make that issue her life's work? No. She presented the issue by showing that it is more complex than what you think and hopefully, it will make a change in the way you view the issue.
If anything, the picture situation shows how much weight we give to stupid symbols. The pope is not God. He's a man who lives in a golden cage and when someone rattled the cage of a false idol, you chose to hate the rattler. Food for thought.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:40 PM

6,449 posts, read 6,457,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Why does she have to finish a fight? Artists don't do that. If a painter or filmmaker were to make a piece of work that is a statement, they aren't expected to do that. It's supposed to be an inspiration for the audience and then they make changes. Nicole Kidman just got an Emmy for playing a domestic abuse victim. Is she supposed to make that issue her life's work? No. She presented the issue by showing that it is more complex than what you think and hopefully, it will make a change in the way you view the issue.
If anything, the picture situation shows how much weight we give to stupid symbols. The pope is not God. He's a man who lives in a golden cage and when someone rattled the cage of a false idol, you chose to hate the rattler. Food for thought.
The Pope is not god and I do not hate Sinead...I think any victim of abuse is brave to come forward to authorities...not sure tearing up a photo equates to any bravery at all...really the Vatican was going to put a hit out on her? Look we both agree that the abuse she suffered was horrific...we just disagree on the significance of her ripping the photo...but I think we will agree that Sinead's musical career never amounted to a whole lot after that...To your point of Nicole Kidman...merely playing a part of an abuse victim is very different than actually being an abuse victim...

Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,491,488 times
Quote:
The Pope is not god and I do not hate Sinead...I think any victim of abuse is brave to come forward to authorities...not sure tearing up a photo equates to any bravery at all...really the Vatican was going to put a hit out on her? Look we both agree that the abuse she suffered was horrific...we just disagree on the significance of her ripping the photo...but I think we will agree that Sinead's musical career never amounted to a whole lot after that...To your point of Nicole Kidman...merely playing a part of an abuse victim is very different than actually being an abuse victim...
That's my point. The artist expressed something but it doesn't mean that they have to defend it like a dissertation. Tearing up the picture was the statement. It doesn't mean she's now the mouthpiece for the issue.
I wonder how her career would have been if she never had the hit song. She was doing fine on the alternative/indie scene. Probably would have been off staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or