U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:09 PM

3,682 posts, read 1,202,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's also available for "free" streaming if you belong to Amazon Prime; Netflix has a plan that includes DVD rentals in addition to streaming & you could get the dvd from there.

It's a question to ask oneself - what is the point of "owning" physical copies of things such as films, music, books, magazines, etc., if these are available in digital streaming formats now? Not saying there is a right or wrong answer, just what would be the point of keeping a physical object at home if it is also digitally available.
Because some of us can't afford to pay out subscriptions to every single streaming service that is out there. I have Netflix, that's IT. No Hulu, no Prime. I can't afford all three, although I did have a Hulu account when it was a free service.

I also like the portability factor of having a physical copy. When I go to spend a holiday at my parents' house, my mom always asks me to bring over something for us to watch. They don't have access to streaming media on their TV. But they DO have a VCR/DVD combo.

Not to mention, things tend to get removed from streaming services. I watched the whole of Adam-12 on Netflix when I first signed up, because I liked the show. Guess what... it's not on there any more! Neither are a couple other movies I found that I liked. Or Emergency!, which was another show I was watching. I got halfway through the last season and they took it down. So I bought them all on DVD from Amazon (except for Emergency! which at that time was still airing on MeTV), so now I can watch them whenever I want to, and I don't have to worry about them not being accessible. As long as I have a DVD player and a working copy, I'm all set.

As for books, sorry, but Kindle isn't going to have the type of books I shop for. I have a lot of out of print and/or older books in my collection, including the full set of L.M. Montgomery's Selected Journals Volumes I-V.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 09-25-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:11 PM

3,682 posts, read 1,202,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're copying to DVD for personal use, then it's not subject to copyright restriction, provided you rightfully own the original copy.
Some commercial VHS tapes are copy-protected. When you try to record them onto another source, like another VHS tape, the picture will be distorted. If you just play them normally, they will look fine.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM

8,054 posts, read 3,896,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Some commercial VHS tapes are copy-protected. When you try to record them onto another source, like another VHS tape, the picture will be distorted. If you just play them normally, they will look fine.
Simple RCA to USB cable will solve that. The VCR just thinks it's outputting to a display like a TV ... the computer records it just fine.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,064,932 times
Quote:

Yet here I was this past Saturday, perusing some old skating competitions from 1996. I have quite a stack of tapes of old gymnastics and skating competitions, including stuff from every Olympics back to 1994, and every US National and World Championship from 1995. I also have around 30 tapes of old movies taped off of AMC (when they were a classic movie channel) and TCM that would cost a fortune for me to replace in commercial DVD/Bluray format.

Nah.... I don't get any usage from my VCRs!!
If that media is that precious to you I'd xfer to a much more stable format ASAP, before the tape deteriorates beyond repair.

I dedicated a weekend to this project and I was unpleasantly surprised at how degraded some of my tapes were. Wished I had done it much much sooner.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:19 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,020,732 times
NO. Cause I now can record something like 17 shows at the same time on my Hopper 3. (Not sure of the exact number since the most I might record is 2 or 3.)

Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM

8,890 posts, read 4,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
NO. Cause I now can record something like 17 shows at the same time on my Hopper 3. (Not sure of the exact number since the most I might record is 2 or 3.)
Hmmmmmm, now that is something I am grateful for, cured of my TV recording addiction, though I am not sure where in the Eras it fits in (ie, miss the VCR era, glad for the capability of this era, or whatever).

Was it really that bad? Well, 20 years and 2000 tapes might indicate so. The cheapness of tape and associated machines just made recording so easy and when coupled with, I'll watch it sooner or later, it just went on year after year.

Come to the present or the near past where availability of storable media disappeared. Combined with the downfall of any quality on TV & the power company throwing the switch for 2 seconds after I would spend an hour or two programing a machine and my TV recording addiction died in about 4 years.

Looking back, I still can't believe it happened, but it took TV out of being a factor in my life.

Now, about this Net thing............

Old 09-25-2017, 08:20 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,205,273 times
Quote:
Yet here I was this past Saturday, perusing some old skating competitions from 1996. I have quite a stack of tapes of old gymnastics and skating competitions, including stuff from every Olympics back to 1994, and every US National and World Championship from 1995. I also have around 30 tapes of old movies taped off of AMC (when they were a classic movie channel) and TCM that would cost a fortune for me to replace in commercial DVD/Bluray format.

Nah.... I don't get any usage from my VCRs!!
Sounds pretty exciting! Watching skating competitions from 20 years ago, and old movies.

You're getting your money's worth from that VCR.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 PM

31,216 posts, read 57,353,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's a question to ask oneself - what is the point of "owning" physical copies of things such as films, music, books, magazines, etc., if these are available in digital streaming formats now? Not saying there is a right or wrong answer, just what would be the point of keeping a physical object at home if it is also digitally available.
Because titles aren't digitally available to infinity and beyond like you think they are. Netflix and the other streaming services are constantly shifting what's available to their subscribers. You're in the middle of watching Dark Shadows, and ... zut alors! Hulu pulls that series of episodes from its available list.

No one can do that to my DVD/VHS collection.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 AM

8,890 posts, read 4,838,194 times
WELL, I will say something in support of the digital streaming bit. Just watched the 1st episode of Sabrina the TW (where was I back then, in 1996, what was I doing (oh, I was taping FOX, no cable, but playing then on the Net at that time)) (and my computer was throwing, unknown to me, interference static into my loop antennae, into the recordings) to see whether or not I want to order the series.

It's included on my Prime but there's that catch of the remoteness of my home; can only effectively watch it at work. Needless to say, that's not quite the ideal situation. It would be, for example, the kind of show I would want to watch at home when relaxing on the sofa with my black cat, sister to Melas.......and not at work in a stiff back chair and loud machinery around me. While it is certainly a kid's show, even "kiddier" than Buffy, it fits into various elements that I like, so I did order the series.

So, in defense of streaming, there is the possibility of a preview option before deciding to buy or not.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 AM

195 posts, read 99,771 times
When I was learning to drive & took a driving ed course back around 2010, the driving school I went to was still using VHS for the DMV lessons.

VHS in the DVD & Youtube era.

That also gave me memories of elementary & middle school back in the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV