U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:48 PM

2,601 posts, read 1,491,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?

What would it be like today if you had to record all of your favorite shows today with one?
I miss being able to trade favorite series with my sister. I remember fondly that she once sent me an entire season of "The Sopranos" on cassettes when I didn't get HBO and she did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:48 PM

9,291 posts, read 7,305,429 times
I don't understand the question. Today, there are multiple ways of recording programs. Why would a VCR be a tangibly different? Be open to change and to learn new technology.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,202,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I don't miss the VCR era at all because I never left it.

I have a roof antenna so I don't have to pay the thieves at the cable TV company.

The roof antenna is connected to 4 digital-to-analog converters, each in turn connected to a separate VCR.

I can tape up to 4 shows simultaneously and watch them on a 5th VCR in my TV room whenever I want and zap through the commercials.

If I want any other programming I go to youtube or the networks that stream video.

I do remember when VCRs were a couple of hundred each but for a long time now I've been picking up replacements at Goodwill for under $5 each and keep them as spares.

Thank you, all of you who donate your old VCRs to Goodwill.
This sounds like so much fun. NOT!

Or one could simply hit the record button while viewing a guide, and record a bunch of shows, simultaneously if need be (six at a time on my TiVo, five at a time on my DirecTV Genie). And watch on any TV in the house. Have it record a single episode, or with just one more press, have it record an entire series. And if for some reason there is a change in programming, the DVR figures it out together with the guide, and keeps recording for you.

And I can also watch Netflix, YouTube, Amazon and more, all thru the same device.

But hey, if 4 VCRs work for you...

Edit to add: I almost forgot, I can also start watching any show whether it has finished recording or not. Oftem with hot shows I like to watch right away, I will wait just long enough to build up a buffer, and be able to skip thru commercials. Takes about 20 minutes on an hour long show. Try that with a VCR.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,202,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
With the VCR you had control over what you could keep. With DVRs you don't own the shows you record, you just rent the viewing opportunity for a while.
Yes and no.

While you could physically remove a tape, and claim you "owned" it, tapes degrade, plus the storage becomes a PITA over time.

With a DVR, you do "own" the recording, as it won't ever be deleted unless you want to delete it. For example, my oldest recording (currently) is the series finale of LOST, May 2010. But you are correct in that with most MSO-provided DVRs, you can't remove the recording, or transfer it. My DirecTV Genie is that way, as is the Xfinity X1 (although I don't have that DVR).

Having said that, TiVo still allows you to copy the recording off the DVR and onto an NAS device. It can be kept forever, and then replayed whenever you want. While I don't do this (I find 500+ hours of HD recording on the device to be more than sufficient ), I have friends who off-load lots of stuff--entire series, shows they may watch some day, tons of movies, etc. I have one friend, slightly askew IMHO, who has over 10,000 hours of recordings stored.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:29 PM

2,591 posts, read 2,891,266 times
Gee I really miss all those things my VCR could not do, such as instant skip with the chapter marks, being able to label the title name with digital tag, being able to edit out the commercials if I want to keep the recording, being able to instantly delete the program. I really miss cleaning the heads on my old VCR, and those mechanical part failures from the super reliable rubber parts and plastic gears. I miss that, and the inferior picture too. I hate how my DVR automatically records up to 6 hours of whatever channel I have it set on, just by turning it on, how annoying, and it stinks the way I am able to record widescreen hi def programming. Blank DVD+ discs are too small and easy to store, I much prefer the way my old VHS tapes hog up a cubic yard of shelf space.

Clark Fork, I agree about the hard copy thing, that's why I have 2 Magnavox 2160mw9 DVR's so I can record 2 channels at once from off the air programming, and able to burn a DVD from a 2 hour program in about 15 minutes. I wish it could record a 2 hour program in hi def, on one disc, but it cannot, I have to settle for standard unless I want that hi def program split up on 4 discs, lol. They probably have a DVR now that records on blank blue ray discs, but that route would probably be a little more expensive, at the moment. What I would rather have is a cable port to dump the contents of the DVR's hard drive onto my computer or another hard drive, my old maggie's can't do that. But like I said, I agree with you on the hard copy thing, and that's what keeps me from subscribing to netflicks, hulu and other online pay services, if I can't record it, I won't pay for the service. I have been reading about different software programs that allow you to record youtube and other services, but at this stage seems like a pain to find one that is inexpensive and works well. Maybe in a few more years I will find one that suits me.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes and no.

While you could physically remove a tape, and claim you "owned" it, tapes degrade, plus the storage becomes a PITA over time.

With a DVR, you do "own" the recording, as it won't ever be deleted unless you want to delete it. For example, my oldest recording (currently) is the series finale of LOST, May 2010. But you are correct in that with most MSO-provided DVRs, you can't remove the recording, or transfer it. My DirecTV Genie is that way, as is the Xfinity X1 (although I don't have that DVR).

Having said that, TiVo still allows you to copy the recording off the DVR and onto an NAS device. It can be kept forever, and then replayed whenever you want. While I don't do this (I find 500+ hours of HD recording on the device to be more than sufficient ), I have friends who off-load lots of stuff--entire series, shows they may watch some day, tons of movies, etc. I have one friend, slightly askew IMHO, who has over 10,000 hours of recordings stored.
We do not have the selection that we once had. What good does it do to record or buy the same TV show or movie over and over again. Back in the days of the old VCRs stations prided themselves on their selections. Now it seems to be the same programs over and over.

Perhaps it is just me? I cannot stand to re-watch anything. I would rather miss crucial scenes than see them played over. That is especially true with so many programs that I never wanted to watch in the first place! I would rather play a video game; at least the writers do not write like they are all on dope!

Old 09-16-2017, 03:49 PM

4,903 posts, read 2,771,998 times
I would much prefer togo back to the good old VCR.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:14 PM

11,069 posts, read 6,583,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I miss being able to trade favorite series with my sister. I remember fondly that she once sent me an entire season of "The Sopranos" on cassettes when I didn't get HBO and she did.
And now she could just share her HBO password and you would have access to not only every season of the Sopranos, but every other show and movie on HBO.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:28 PM

974 posts, read 331,194 times
Nope. I dont have a dvr ($) although I do love it but I can access pretty much access any show from the past or present by doing a little digging online. I dont need to spend money on a hard copy of any tv show/movie. To those who still use the VCR kuddos. I suspect there are still plenty of you old schoolers out there keeping the device alive.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:04 PM

8,020 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Don't miss VCRs or the associated clutter of huge tapes one single bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV