U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 09:48 PM

2,587 posts, read 2,888,113 times

Advertisements

Even tho I have DVR's, I refuse to throw away my old VCR's and tapes. My old JVC super VHS machine won't play tapes anymore but it has a great analog tuner, it's the only device that works well for my old Atari 7800 and gives a clear picture on channel 3. I still have some factory VHS tapes which my DVR cannot record, because it picks up the copyguard signal and gives copywrite error. Most of my tapes are bootleg so I was able to copy those with the DVR and make MP4 files from them. I still have an 8 track player and 2 cases of tapes, won't throw those out either. Nor shall I part with my Teac double cassette deck, and several cases of cassette tapes. I can't do it, those items make great conversation pieces and will sell for thousands of dollars on Antique Road Show some day.

I've had half a dozen VHS machines since 1987, only 2 of them really gave me 5 years or more of heavy use, the 1994 Sanyo and a 2000 JVC super VHS, both had stereo 4 head with OSP, real work horses. All the other machines crapped out within a year or two under heavy use. I still have one of the newer Panasonic's from about 2010 but it was really cheap, and not made like the old Panasonic from the 90's, those were also good machines.

I'm thinking if there's ever an energy crisis, it's worth keeping those old VHS tapes around to heat my home in the winter, plastic burns a long time and there's enough of those tapes around here to make it thru a whole winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
I have FIOS with DVR. I also have a bunch of VCR tapes that I never watch, even the ones I took of the kids when they were little. I just never bothered to connect the VHS player to the new Flat screen, because I know the picture quality would only disappoint me.

I never buy PPV movies to store on DVR, because that would only lock me into staying with FIOS or lose what I paid for. I would rather buy the DVD or BluRay disks. Then I will have them forever, because in my lifetime I don't think any new format will be enough of an improvement for me to move on.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 PM

5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

I'm thinking if there's ever an energy crisis, it's worth keeping those old VHS tapes around to heat my home in the winter, plastic burns a long time and there's enough of those tapes around here to make it thru a whole winter.
The old tapes might be handy if someone breaks into your house, you get the better of them and you need something to tie them up with!

Old 09-17-2017, 03:15 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
The DVR is far superior to VCR.
Yes, one station is running every episode of MASH. I may find out just how much the disc will hold. I'm wondering if with dvr (standalone) you could set it up to record things you might want to keep since the recordings fill up and you can't record more until you erase something. Never had to erase my old vcr recordings. Still have some too, but nothing to play them on.

So, who not only recorded them, but sat there with the finger on pause so you had EDITED copies with no comercials?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:48 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?

What would it be like today if you had to record all of your favorite shows today with one?
Sort of but in a different way.

The other day, I was ordering classic horror videos and it seemed like nothing out there was dirt cheap anymore, not even the VHS. The Golden Age of surplus video seems to be over.

Okay, now more direct to the question, I think the last time I recorded on the VCR was back probably in 2014 or so when I was recording the late movies off of Telemundo. At the time, I don't think I appreciated how their late movies worked and hence didn't know when they would start due to delays. So I just stuck a tape in and let the machine record for six hours and I would extract the movie I wanted later.

As it is, the 2AM movie is Telemundo's buffer. If a game runs late, if the President makes a speech, that is shown, then whatever TV show and paid programming and it is the late movie that gets started already in progress for whatever time everything else needed.

As to what would it be like today, well that is assuming that I still watched TV, that I still recorded my favorite shows.....WHICH I DON'T. It wasn't that the media changed but rather that my local power company, in part, made it impossible. I would go to all the trouble of programming my machines to record "all this wonderful stuff" off of cable and then they would flick the switch for two seconds, causing a region power outage, and all that programming would be cleared.

It was getting to the point, at the time with my TV watching addiction, that I was thinking of buying a UPS. That was nixed with the thought of having a lead acid battery in the living room.

If I still had a TV watching addiction.....but I don't. Changes of media (VHS>DVD>hard drive), of content of TV (drama>reality), and then the lack of information in "TV Guide" killed my TV watching habit. Once upon the time, the "guides" provided much information about what was on all channels, all the time. Things changed, however, when daytime TV only got one page under "various programming", after 2 am got similar treatment, and it eventually came down to that if you weren't watching prime time, the Guides really didn't care about you.

As things go, I'm rather glad situation killed my TV addiction. I have 20 years of VHS tapes of recording my favorite programs to transfer to DVDs. I am certainly glad I am not adding to the stack any more. Glad from the tasks to do aspect, glad from the ethics aspect.

Finally, whether it is VHS, DVD, or hard drive, there are eventual limits when one needs to watch what they have recorded or delete and make room for something else. I had a TIVO in the rental house and when I was moving out, saying good bye to cable for probably forever, there were all these things on the TIVO, recorded but never watched. I made some quick decisions, watched the movies I wanted to see, bought the series (ie, DVD) of that which look interesting, and abandoned the rest.

The thing about recording is that it is easy that it is very easy to get into "take it all". Take TCM for example. Practically any movie there, I could see a use in recording it to "watch it later" and one way or another, get trapped in constantly programming and feeding my machines. Things I never got around to watching, things that ended up in collections like that 20 years of tape.

What is life like today now that I don't record TV? Slightly more pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
With the VCR you had control over what you could keep. With DVRs you don't own the shows you record, you just rent the viewing opportunity for a while.
Well, that depends on your DVR. As things go, I have 7 of those units and every so often, I pick a spindle of 100 disks to feed them. These days, they are used for converting those VHS tapes, but they are DVRs......just not the kind that most of the world uses.

Quote:
I realize that we are in a new era. Younger people frequently don't own CDs or books, let alone DVDs--they rely on the availability of everything they like/need on the Web, from music to movies to the "printed" word. Somehow the very idea of ownership of certain collectibles seems to have vanished with the easy access to information and entertainment on the Internet. That absolutely baffles me--how can people be so trusting that the digital culture of today will exist in the future? And how can you access important information/entertainment of the past if it is not available on the web? I have been used to researching, tracking down, and buying such items, sometimes going to paper and memorabilia shows to find them. Those shows are being discontinued, because nobody is buying those items anymore. A whole culture of pride in collections is disappearing. I want hard copies of everything that's important to me, and if it's documents, preferably on good paper. (In addition to that, I also keep digital copies on flash drives...). The only videotapes I have thrown out are taped copies of old favorite movies which I now own on DVD.......
Or live out in the country with no cable, sparse telephone coverage, and satellite internet. As I have said in another post, my relatives would "Net starve" to come live with me.

A "Library" may be a product of a different time. My video library started out from "even with hundreds of channels on cable, there is always the chance that there is nothing on but that does not exist with a personal tape library". It might also, however, come from an upbringing when often what was seen was "canned" such as on a company or armed forces network. Growing up with that might make it easier to accept such.

As far as trusting the digital information world? The efforts I had to go through in order to find in depth information about the Israelis and Entebbe as oppose to just accept the footnote the Net often has now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Yes, one station is running every episode of MASH. I may find out just how much the disc will hold. I'm wondering if with dvr (standalone) you could set it up to record things you might want to keep since the recordings fill up and you can't record more until you erase something. Never had to erase my old vcr recordings. Still have some too, but nothing to play them on.

So, who not only recorded them, but sat there with the finger on pause so you had EDITED copies with no comercials?
As it is, I'm rather glad I didn't do that (beyond 1 or 2 tapes) in trying to eliminate the commercials for two reasons.

First of all, if one has been overseas and had to watch TV off a company, such as Hughes Aircraft or ARAMCO, or an armed forces network, one rather misses the commercials of US soil TV. Perhaps not now in decades later but I do recall what a joy it was to have commercials again when I returned.

Secondly, it is those commercials which are fueling the tape to DVD project. Twenty years of TV, from 1985 to around 2005, twenty years of social history that the US has been through. From the end of the Cold War and a pre Net era, to the dot com era, then the phone wars, and so forth and more.

But, to each their own.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-17-2017 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 AM

7,971 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Nor shall I part with my Teac double cassette deck, and several cases of cassette tapes. I can't do it, those items make great conversation pieces and will sell for thousands of dollars on Antique Road Show some day.
I hope you don't really believe that.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 AM

1,894 posts, read 626,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why you think that? A lot of millennial are in their 30s and used cassette tapes when they were younger. I was 11 when I bought my first cd, but still used cassette tapes to tape songs from the radio for a few more years. I also recall a few middle school assignments where I needed to record an interview on tape.

My SO's car came standard with a cassette player, he didn't upgrade to the CD player. I even think my 20 year old brother's truck has a cassette player.
And for the phone/iPod crowd, just about every corner store or electronics big box still sells a cassette adapter with cable and headphone plug.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 AM

13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There are more scripted TV shows on now (over 450) than ever in history. There is something for everyone!
I disagree. I give my cable company over $3K per year. Some of that is for high speed internet and some for phone. But I do have the premium package with HBO, Show Time and Star. When I could go to the video store and buy what I wanted to see; I had more choice. Giving people garbage to watch is no choice. Repeating over and over again the same movie is not a choice.

One of my favorite channels used to be the Syfy. Every chance they get they run repeats of the worst movies that they can find or the cheapest they can buy. FX and FXX now have paid programing; like many other stations at this time in the morning. You tell me how many viewers want paid programing; run a poll! Then, when stations like FX and FXX are not running paid programing, they run old Simpsons (FXX) or the same movies they ran last week.

Maybe some of my complaints are my fault? Like I stated before: I cannot stand to see anything a second time (maybe a few exceptions; but not many). You can have your 450 choices, but if the material has already been used (sequels of sequels or remakes of remakes); why waste our time? I like surprises; like in GOT when Little Finger met his end and we expected a different outcome.

I am so desperate to see good writing I go to the streaming web sites of all the stations I pay for. I look at their program selections and I look at their movie selections and I am lucky if more than a few a month. They can give me hundreds of movies to chose from; but I do not want to see them. The reality of it is that if I did not have to keep my other half happy; I think I would get rid of TV's! They waste my time looking for what I cannot find! I am glad that everybody else can find something.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,519,808 times
Lol. In a word, no.

Hubby is tech savvy, we keep digital content from our dvr all the time. We have a home media server that takes up as much space as about 10 VHS tapes and it holds hundreds of hours of movies and TV.

Sorry but you are clinging to a technology that is inferior in every way.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 AM

4,040 posts, read 4,953,251 times
I recently bought a brand new Toshiba VCR, new in a sealed box from Craigslist. I use it on my vintage console Sylvania TV. It's too nice to discard and works perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV