U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 AM

11,796 posts, read 9,712,347 times

Advertisements

Please be kind: Rewind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 AM

8,865 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't watch sports either. Very little interest.

You keep saying "repeating material". I read somewhere that between broadcast, cable and streaming, there was over 6,000 hours of new scripted (not reality, not sports) material aired. You would have to watch sixteen hours a day to see it all!

And even if you only liked 10 percent of the new stuff, that's a couple hours a day to watch.

Again, I will posit that if someone says "there is nothing on to watch", they have fallen out of step with today's culture.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they need to admit it.

We-ll,

one of the things I've noticed about today's TV is that it is very pretty in the photography and the people, but there really isn't much there at all. It's like they took all the background people from ST: The Next Generation, those gorgeous helmsmen and those brute of bodies engineers, and made a show around them. To me, today's TV is beautiful to look at but really doesn't have much content at all.

Some shows manage to make the "ok" mark, like Kill Joys and Dark Matter. By "ok" I mean that every once in a while, the tastes will fall to the level where watching pretty people run around in gorgeous locations that is shot on very glossy medium are acceptable to watch. But such stories are better for creating one's own fantasies than anything else.

As it is, right now my stress is rather high and I see more salvation in watching a romance flick or a Love Boat episode or maybe even Jason King (TV Series 1971 than finding something in this new material.....assuming that I had access to it anymore.

Hence, point and point again, we come back to the library. Not streaming, not cable, but a DVD/VHS library. A library that has what I want, not a "service" that tells me what I should want.

As things go, that romance or such that I may watch later to destress could be Guarding Tess (1994) - IMDb ....... in VHS no less. It was looking up at me in a box I opened over the weekend. There may be a DVD working copy of it around but not all of those file boxes have been uncovered yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Well, you got me looking on Ebay for Edison Wax Cylinder machines, and they go for around 300 to 600 bucks so I might have a long wait in getting the G money out of my Teac double cassette deck. I figure to do much better with my Craig Pioneer 8 Track player, it will soar someday, it has left and right microphone input jacks, analog DB meter, it records onto tape via left and right RCA input/output jacks. It has an oak case and steel chassis, a very heavy and well built machine. It has been in the family since 1975 and I shall never part with it, it's even more precious to me than my handheld Merlin and Coleco Galaga game, but not as valuable as my 1981 Sony boombox which also has RCA input jacks and I installed a new belt for the cassette deck last year, it still works good and has short wave band too, so I can check the correct time the old fashioned way, from Coordinated Univeral Time via station from Boulder Colorado, as I did in the pre cell phone days to set my watch.

Just some tips about blank DVD's, I never bother buying individual cases or sleeves for each disc. I buy a 50 pack of blank discs and after recording on them, put them back in the plastic case they came in. You must use a special marker pen to label them, as the acid in regular magic markers will eventually ruin the disc. I label each case with letters, A, B, C, D, E, F, and now I'm on case G. As I load each case with newly recorded discs, I label each one in sequence A-1, A-3, A-5, A-7..........until I fill it up. As I do so, I make a word file on my computer so I have an index for each case, and can find any of my movies very fast that way. Later on, I used Handbrake program to convert those discs into MP4 files and they fit easily in my 2TB external hard drive. If you use that program, make sure to select mono if the recording was made with a mono VHS machine, otherwise you get sound distortion, and use the volume boost too, if the sound level is too soft.

Case G will soon be full, as DVR #1 is choked full of the later 80's and 90's Columbo episodes I got off ME Tv, and DVR #2 has the last 5 seasons of King Of The Hill, to go with the previous seasons I already have on file.
I didn't know that about the ink in Sharpies. Thank you.

As it is, after I make a working DVD, I copy it to a hard drive but it is more for two other reasons.

First of all, we've seen a change of formats where one needs to convert or buy again, from VHS to DVD and then again perhaps from DVD to streaming. Copying them to a hard drive is a way, IMHO, to safe guard against format changes that require one to do the "job" over again. Granted, it may not be perfect for maybe the format change to the hard drive is the cloud (which I think is the WORST idea in security that ever came down the pike!), but for now, maybe. Secondly, if in an extreme bug out situation, grabbing the hard drive is easier than lots of disks.

The storage aspect of DVDs is an interesting tale of excruciating frustration for it seems, basically, the consumer is being told not to do DVDs because the storage won't be sold anymore. Video cabinets have gone through many makers but in the end, and in summary, they were like this: https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vhs-v.../171931687920/ . They came in three format sizes of VHS, audio cassette, and CD/DVD and it seemed like they disappeared over night somewhere in the first decade of this century (to then show up in the overstock market at twice, at first, the price).

Equally, there were nice DVD/CD drawers like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that disappeared for a long while when COMPUSA went out of business. Now, there was still storage available around such as in cheap cardboard boxes, heavy lockable drawers, or perhaps boxes of off dimensions that didn't use space efficiently, but practical, affordable drawers weren't there. Which is why when those drawers like a Amazon reappeared, I snatched them up as I could afford them.

My VHS storage cabinets sit here and there, awaiting for when I can find a place to place them, perhaps a MIL house or something. The DVD drawers are up in the library.

Personally, I prefer to get a consumer copy of this or that series for at least two reasons. There are my ethics which say in part that the industry ought to be paid for its work. Then, there is more of an assurance that I'll get more of a complete show than something edited.......although rumors that such isn't so about "Midsomer Murders" have kept me from putting out the cash to start buying that series (I do have the complete of "A Touch of Frost", though).

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-19-2017 at 02:22 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 AM

13,148 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
This is debatable for some. Alien/Aliens is one where most people think the sequel was better. I don't because I saw Alien in the theater on opening day. Had no idea what was going to happen. Super suspenseful that way. In Aliens, you pretty much knew what the monsters were going to do in general just on a larger scale. If you ever come across someone who does not know the franchise, have them watch the two movies in proper order and see what their opinion is.
The very first 1986 movie was the best. It was alien to us and our way of thinking. On the other hand the latest sequels will never have the suspense of the first - unless they reinvent the script. It is almost impossible to do that since the original monsters were so terrifying. You watch the latest remake and it is almost impossible to add anything to the original 1986 movie; almost everything was predictable.

As far as HD compared to before; Look at the Exorcist. Although I was not as impressed; it scared the heck out of my wife. For it's time; the Exorcist was ahead of it's time. I don't care how many pixels you show us, if you do not have great screen writers, plot and original ideas; you don't have anything to sell. It's like seeing somebody on YouTube drink a soda up their nostril with a soda straw. You see it one time and you don't have to see it again.

Aliens and the Exorcist accounted for many movie rentals in the days of the VCR's. But here is the problem; every time writers come up with new ideas; they will not be 'new' ideas for the next generation. We already know what will happen; there is no surprise ending. We go nuts in our colleges and universities about plagiarism; but all the thoughts in the world are now recorded - it becomes harder to be original.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 AM

8,865 posts, read 4,829,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The very first 1986 movie was the best. It was alien to us and our way of thinking. On the other hand the latest sequels will never have the suspense of the first - unless they reinvent the script. It is almost impossible to do that since the original monsters were so terrifying. You watch the latest remake and it is almost impossible to add anything to the original 1986 movie; almost everything was predictable.

As far as HD compared to before; Look at the Exorcist. Although I was not as impressed; it scared the heck out of my wife. For it's time; the Exorcist was ahead of it's time. I don't care how many pixels you show us, if you do not have great screen writers, plot and original ideas; you don't have anything to sell. It's like seeing somebody on YouTube drink a soda up their nostril with a soda straw. You see it one time and you don't have to see it again.

Aliens and the Exorcist accounted for many movie rentals in the days of the VCR's. But here is the problem; every time writers come up with new ideas; they will not be 'new' ideas for the next generation. We already know what will happen; there is no surprise ending. We go nuts in our colleges and universities about plagiarism; but all the thoughts in the world are now recorded - it becomes harder to be original.
Freudian slip? The first movie came out around 1979.

AS IT WAS, when Kane met it, I was not taken back at all.......I had seen the pictorial in OMNI before, had read the book.

As far as originals and such, things vary. Take for instance how the gun in the close dancing scene of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242386/...nm_flmg_act_62 is copied in "Batman Returns". Can you believe it that the latter copied a scene that was done over a score from when it was made?

The thing is that unless one follows Spanish movies, hardly anyone would know that the derringer scene in Batman Returns wasn't original.

Like they said in Voyager once how old tricks in the Alpha quadrant are new tricks in the Gamma quadrant.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:42 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,954,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Please be kind: Rewind!
lol, remember that?

Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 AM

13,148 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Freudian slip? The first movie came out around 1979.

AS IT WAS, when Kane met it, I was not taken back at all.......I had seen the pictorial in OMNI before, had read the book.

As far as originals and such, things vary. Take for instance how the gun in the close dancing scene of Los corrompidos (1971) - IMDb is copied in "Batman Returns". Can you believe it that the latter copied a scene that was done over a score from when it was made?

The thing is that unless one follows Spanish movies, hardly anyone would know that the derringer scene in Batman Returns wasn't original.

Like they said in Voyager once how old tricks in the Alpha quadrant are new tricks in the Gamma quadrant.
Ok; so I am human! What I am saying is that with super computers and everybody sharing information; it is harder to be original. It is harder to shock or surprise. Like you point out; we do not know if the writer copied that scene or if he came up with an 'original' idea. But, since you saw both movies, you know and the scene from Batman Returns was an old, rehashed, idea.

To me the writers of video games do a better job; but they also have limitations and even for them it still gets harder to be original. The cast on some of the best video games is as long or longer than any Hollywood movie cast. It could also be the age of the actual writers; possibly the youngsters are looking outside the box? Also the game writers do not have to worry about sculpturing scripts to fit Hollywood personalities.

To me 'choice' is not choice if it is not new. That is why I like the old VCR's better. We are now growing/learning too fast - the thrill is gone!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 AM

2,339 posts, read 1,291,030 times
No.... I was a Betamax guy in a VHS world, story of my life.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,621,322 times
random thing to share

one of my relatives still have Beta tapes...crazy

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM

2,590 posts, read 2,889,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I didn't know that about the ink in Sharpies. Thank you.
Just read up a little more about this, there is some debate as to whether it will harm DVD's as the layers are made of stronger materials than the regular CD's, so you might be OK with a sharpie pen, but I use disc safe CD pens just to be safe. I usually buy the cheaper brands of blank DVD's so they might be more vulnerable than the expensive ones. I had read about the acid thing back around the year 2000 when I began making CD's and just carried it over to any disc media. The write layer is right underneath where you are marking, and a sharpie has a sharper, finer point, so don't press too hard when you write on it. The softer more rounded point on CD markers are that way for a reason.

When you label discs with a marker pen, and stack them back in the case, do it slowly. Wait 5 minutes before you stack one disc on top of another. The ink can remain slightly wet for a few minutes after you mark it. If you stack a disc on top, from experience I know the wet ink can rub off to the bottom of the disc you stack on top of it. The ink smudge will come off with rubbing alcohol and a soft rag or bounty paper towel.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM

3,657 posts, read 1,197,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?

What would it be like today if you had to record all of your favorite shows today with one?
I still have 3 of them, including a 22 year old Panasonic that survived being in a smoke-damaged apartment for 3 days. The Panasonic has an internal tuner, so when I want to record something I patch the cable signal through that, and the signal goes through the AV cables to the Sanyo VCR/DVD combo that does the actual recording (the Sanyo doesn't have a tuner).

I also have another combo (Magnavox) that is identical to the Sanyo, only the VCR side doesn't work properly. When I was living with my parents my cat used to jump from the top of it onto a metal closet that was next to it, and then jump down again and land on top of it. 14 pounds of cat must have done some kind of damage to it - it will play, but only for 5 seconds and then the whole unit shuts off. The DVD side works all right. I need to look into seeing if I can find a place that will repair it, because I have a lot of stuff that is on tape (like old movies) and it would be great to watch this stuff in my room when I'm feeling lazy (the Magnavox is paired with a 24" in my bedroom - the Sanyo is out in the living room with the 32" Smart TV).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV