U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:12 AM

4,040 posts, read 4,953,251 times

Advertisements

Do you remember panicking when the VCR would eat your cassette while pulling it out?
The thought of having to pay Blockbuster $70 for the tape was deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 11:23 AM

5,917 posts, read 4,056,688 times
Not even close.

When I finally threw away my VHS tapes I realized how absolutely infrequently--if ever--I actually watched them.

For the 1 out of 1000000 times I might have thrown out a copy of something I can't find online but want to watch? I'll get over it.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
As far as VHS v DVD . . . the VHS movies don't freeze up the way some DVD movies do; nor are the VHS tapes scratched.

Many times I get DVD movies from the library and some are so scratched and smudged it makes one wonder if they were used as mini frisbees.

I have a Sony VCR/DVD combo, it's about 25 years old and still works perfectly. Have read that some of the newer DVD player's quality isn't that good.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 AM

8,855 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
...........To me the writers of video games do a better job; but they also have limitations and even for them it still gets harder to be original. The cast on some of the best video games is as long or longer than any Hollywood movie cast. It could also be the age of the actual writers; possibly the youngsters are looking outside the box? Also the game writers do not have to worry about sculpturing scripts to fit Hollywood personalities...........
"Original" ideas, however, might end up getting one SHOT!

Remember Duke Nukem 3D? There was a feature in the Red Light District sections where if you got too close to the go-go dancers, the aliens appeared. The Feminists were furious about this exploitation of women being used in a video game (such as offering money for the dancer to flash her breasts), especially one that children might play.

Myself, I reacted as my security training dictated and saw the dancers and the like as distractions, decoys, Sirens* meant to draw me into the kill zone. So I ignored them and continued my sweep.

Now, I don't know if the writers put the dancers in there as Sirens or to heighten the sexiness of the game, or maybe just a subplot that was eventually revealed in the conclusion. To me, however, something that was rather realistic could be the kind of thing that raises eyebrows and questions about one's morality......IMHO.

*Siren...in the mid 80's, "Siren" was a, at least, an anti-ship missile decoy concept where the device would send out signals that essentially said, "Hey, bad missile, LOOK AT ME! I'm a much better target, come over here.".

Old 09-20-2017, 01:32 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
I have a VCR and a DVD/Bluetooth player hooked up to the 4K TV. All our family movies of the kids are either on Super 8 (no projector, though), VHS tapes, or Sony Handicam. I can watch the Handicam through the computer, but occasionally I like to view the VHS tapes to see the kids when they were little. Now to find a projector online somewhere.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And we have our answer!

Seriously, anyone who says they don't care about HD is out of step. The picture is magnitudes better than the old SD days.

You don't like HD, you are bored by the 500+ new series available these days, you'd rather watch the Weather Channel... my job is done here. Enjoy!
But I had a video tape Recorder and plugging in one which played could edit out all the commercials. And watch my show over. I could get three more episodes on the tape, depending on what brand it was. they were more edited than the episodes on the 'official episode' copies, but it was fun and you could delete a lot of stuff that way and still watch it.

Some of the sites don't seem to allow you now but I have hulu and amazon and netflix so I don't need to, but was really fun. And some series made when the average length was longer than today the difference had dissapeared. It makes you wonder what got edited out so they could still stuff in a few more ads.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:24 AM

8,855 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But I had a video tape Recorder and plugging in one which played could edit out all the commercials. And watch my show over. I could get three more episodes on the tape, depending on what brand it was. they were more edited than the episodes on the 'official episode' copies, but it was fun and you could delete a lot of stuff that way and still watch it.

Some of the sites don't seem to allow you now but I have hulu and amazon and netflix so I don't need to, but was really fun. And some series made when the average length was longer than today the difference had dissapeared. It makes you wonder what got edited out so they could still stuff in a few more ads.
When it comes to Syndication, they, IMHO, edit out the things that build the tension.

Ever see "The Paradise Syndrome" in ST:TOS? As it was originally, McCoy and Spock can't find Kirk, they have to get to that asteroid to deflect it, and they beam off the planet. The next shot we have of the Enterprise is a stern view of it hurtling through deep space, the music's opening beats, and Spock doing a voice over of a log entry about how the delay on the planet has forced him to order extreme warp speeds. We then cut to a shot of Scotty telling Spock about how they can't maintain the speed and keep out of the danger zone and Spock telling him, "Objection noted, Mr. Scott, carry on.".

It is scenes like that which build the tension in the story telling.....but in syndication, things like that get snipped out. One moment they are beaming off the planet, the next the ship is appearing in front of the asteroid.

What do they cut in the first showing and not syndication? They take the opening credits and reduce the intro to 15 seconds or so. Remember ER and how in the opening credits they introduced the main stars, showed them action of their parts from previous shows? Well, in the final season, the opening was cut to virtually nothing and the actors' credits were reduced to text across the bottom of the screen in the first act. In doing so, one no longer knew who was important, who wasn't, who was staying, who was a guest. It was even worse in that the names were often covered over by storm alerts or even show advertisements.

What do they cut? The things that a really good show. In Charmed, it seem like we had the threat, we built up to the sisters meeting and vanquishing the threat, and then in the blink of an eye, it is a wrap up at the club, a few words, and poof the show is over. There are at least two problems to this. First of all, it puts the show in to a "Batman" format. Watching Batman in the 60s could easily be summed up as, "If you have seen one Batman, you've seen them all.". Villain appears, Gordon calls, "To the Batcave!", briefing, chase, capture, cliffhanger.

Secondly, it takes out something of good acting, where the players are not allowed to appreciate their circumstances. Like Vincent Price said in "Here's Lucy" when he thought Lucy (yet to arrive) was a new actress to the business. "That's a relief. A lot of the girls these days walk into the torture chamber like they were going to do their laundry." (or something like that)

The players should look scared, visibly shaken that while they have won again, they almost lost their lives doing it. That's a line in Friday the 13th: The Series in "And Now the News" where Mickey says, "How much longer can we continue to do this? I mean, both of us almost got killed this evening.". Or in Airwolf in "Day of Jeopardy" where Anne Lockhart looks ready to have a nervous breakdown as the copter goes through one air to air after another.

Instead with the way the shows are rushed, it is partying like valley girls after the bad guy is tossed.

Add to that that if one gets the credits at all, they are squeezed to the smallest screen while ads are run over the credits for the next show. It doesn't help one's appreciation of the show they just watched is they are forced to view something they detest.....like the Steve Harvey show.

What is cut? Really any enjoyment of TV for what it should be.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
When it comes to Syndication, they, IMHO, edit out the things that build the tension.

Ever see "The Paradise Syndrome" in ST:TOS? As it was originally, McCoy and Spock can't find Kirk, they have to get to that asteroid to deflect it, and they beam off the planet. The next shot we have of the Enterprise is a stern view of it hurtling through deep space, the music's opening beats, and Spock doing a voice over of a log entry about how the delay on the planet has forced him to order extreme warp speeds. We then cut to a shot of Scotty telling Spock about how they can't maintain the speed and keep out of the danger zone and Spock telling him, "Objection noted, Mr. Scott, carry on.".

It is scenes like that which build the tension in the story telling.....but in syndication, things like that get snipped out. One moment they are beaming off the planet, the next the ship is appearing in front of the asteroid.

What do they cut in the first showing and not syndication? They take the opening credits and reduce the intro to 15 seconds or so. Remember ER and how in the opening credits they introduced the main stars, showed them action of their parts from previous shows? Well, in the final season, the opening was cut to virtually nothing and the actors' credits were reduced to text across the bottom of the screen in the first act. In doing so, one no longer knew who was important, who wasn't, who was staying, who was a guest. It was even worse in that the names were often covered over by storm alerts or even show advertisements.

What do they cut? The things that a really good show. In Charmed, it seem like we had the threat, we built up to the sisters meeting and vanquishing the threat, and then in the blink of an eye, it is a wrap up at the club, a few words, and poof the show is over. There are at least two problems to this. First of all, it puts the show in to a "Batman" format. Watching Batman in the 60s could easily be summed up as, "If you have seen one Batman, you've seen them all.". Villain appears, Gordon calls, "To the Batcave!", briefing, chase, capture, cliffhanger.

Secondly, it takes out something of good acting, where the players are not allowed to appreciate their circumstances. Like Vincent Price said in "Here's Lucy" when he thought Lucy (yet to arrive) was a new actress to the business. "That's a relief. A lot of the girls these days walk into the torture chamber like they were going to do their laundry." (or something like that)

The players should look scared, visibly shaken that while they have won again, they almost lost their lives doing it. That's a line in Friday the 13th: The Series in "And Now the News" where Mickey says, "How much longer can we continue to do this? I mean, both of us almost got killed this evening.". Or in Airwolf in "Day of Jeopardy" where Anne Lockhart looks ready to have a nervous breakdown as the copter goes through one air to air after another.

Instead with the way the shows are rushed, it is partying like valley girls after the bad guy is tossed.

Add to that that if one gets the credits at all, they are squeezed to the smallest screen while ads are run over the credits for the next show. It doesn't help one's appreciation of the show they just watched is they are forced to view something they detest.....like the Steve Harvey show.

What is cut? Really any enjoyment of TV for what it should be.
I agree. I buy the comercial disc's when I really like a series. Even if they are on tv, I don't want to see a hacked apart story with my favorite part missing. I'll have to hook up the player into the tv, or maybe netflix or amazon will have it. But cutting out a chunk of story is like randomly slicing out a batch of pages from a book. I write fanfiction (currently mostly ds9) but I do a full read over for anything, not assuming its all there. And a few words in a scene being changed can give a very different message. I try to end the segments when I post stories at a point where you really want to keep reading too.

I remember one convention where Harlan came, and he chose to share some of his views of how the production people messed up scripts. There are actually two filmed versions of the one with Edith Keeler. He had something to say and it was more than Kirk and Spock. Several others follow, and on the mean streats of Depression era city, find ways of getting things easy by selling. To Harlan it was important, that the men of the future are shown as easily lured off the beaten path as of their own time. It was edited out and scenes reshot. There wasn't a reshowing of the uncut episode there, but had been. But at least trek does leave spme space for the alternatives.

I think the powers that be have decided people don't watch opening scenes, so get past them asap. This episode, with the captain and his ex captured in the zoo, could have easily have been ruined by too much light stuff. The way they start out pacing, experimenting to see if anything isn't working, doubtful of the food but hungry, and then the way they adjust in clear steps, and can sit and act like they aren't in a zoo pen is extraordinary. It makes the story. You can tell, they've started facing the potential reality.

The scenes on the ship are good too. Imagine being so young, and so inexperienced, and suddenly in command. She's going to be an interesting character. This is an old much used theme in star trek, but it works. I liked that this was the final theme, and the young woman had risen to the occasion despite her fears. It also gave us a good sampling of the crew. And meanwhile the Captain and his ex have 21 days to consider what living in a zoo will be like. This episode has its 'funny' moments, but overall its got plenty of dramatic themes too. They could lean towards either, depending on the story. I look forward to see what way it drifts, given they did such a good job on a story mixing drama and gentle humor.

I'm very pleased by the first two episodes, and we don't even have to compete with FOOTBALL next episode.

now if they show this one where I can record it fully....

As for the credits, consider that people with great talent have created the show, and they deserve a screen of credit. My grandfather worked in movies, not as an actor, and his name is somewhere on those 30's credits as set design/costuming, and so on. He was an absolute stickler for accuracy so those gismos on the table, and the curtains on the window in his films are right to their time. Mom didn't like to see movies with him. He watched them to find all the mistakes or not quite good enough moments. I do pretty much with stories, reading them outloud too. If I'm going to put so much time into it, I want it the best it can be.

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-20-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 AM

13,136 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"Original" ideas, however, might end up getting one SHOT!

Remember Duke Nukem 3D? There was a feature in the Red Light District sections where if you got too close to the go-go dancers, the aliens appeared. The Feminists were furious about this exploitation of women being used in a video game (such as offering money for the dancer to flash her breasts), especially one that children might play.

Myself, I reacted as my security training dictated and saw the dancers and the like as distractions, decoys, Sirens* meant to draw me into the kill zone. So I ignored them and continued my sweep.

Now, I don't know if the writers put the dancers in there as Sirens or to heighten the sexiness of the game, or maybe just a subplot that was eventually revealed in the conclusion. To me, however, something that was rather realistic could be the kind of thing that raises eyebrows and questions about one's morality......IMHO.

*Siren...in the mid 80's, "Siren" was a, at least, an anti-ship missile decoy concept where the device would send out signals that essentially said, "Hey, bad missile, LOOK AT ME! I'm a much better target, come over here.".
I never played that game. I was more of a Skyrim junkie and many can look at the subjects explored in that game more than one way. I also looked at Skyrim whether it was appropriate for everybody. When you start playing the subject is straight forward to save the world; but it does turn towards the dark side the longer you play.

On the other hand, the older games like Hogan's Alley or Lethal Enforcers, were great starters for police, security, and people in general. It was easy to see how difficult it is to have the responsibility to protect the public with lethal force.

But, getting back to subject, in the 1940's, 50's, 60's, Americans had the Popular Mechanics/Popular Science attitude - we could do anything; the sky was the limit. Technology could solve all of our problems and we would all be flying around in our flying cars. Our movies cost a fortune to make and the big Hollywood studios prospered. In 1956 the first VCR was invented; but it was too expensive and they did not make it into our homes until the very end of the 1970's and early 1980's. Hollywood prospered again with the new market as itself started to embrace the new computer technology. Americans finally had a 'choice' instead of waiting for films to come to the theaters or waiting for them to be played on our TV's. There was money still infused into the creation of the products we viewed.

With the turn of this century everything is changing. Will viewers still watch big screen TV's as those same viewers watched the programs during their lunch hour on their IPhone? Of course many will buy on-demand and stream to their TV's. Many sports fans still want the big screens; but I wonder about the industry in the future - everything does change. Of course Hollywood is no longer owned by Americans; the Chinese have moved in. I just feel that the 80's and 90's gave us the best choice of, what to us, was a new product that time/money/ and thought went into producing. We can do anything now because of our technology; but that doesn't mean we can write original scripts - maybe, someday, automation will also do that?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 AM

1,894 posts, read 626,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's your opinion, but I believe most people would disagree with you. There are so many great series available, whether you like drama, comedy, historical pieces, yada.

Look at the Emmys last night, and look at some, just some, of the shows nominated:

“American Crime”
“Atlanta”
“Better Call Saul”
“Better Things”
“Big Little Lies”
“black-ish"
“Fargo”
“Feud: Bette and Joan”
“Genius”
“Grace and Frankie”
“House of Cards”
“How to Get Away With Murder”
“Master of None”
“Modern Family”
“Mom”
“Ray Donovan”
“Sherlock: The Lying Detective”
“Silicon Valley”
“Stranger Things”
“The Americans”
“The Crown”
“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”
“The Night Of”
“The Wizard of Lies”
“This Is Us”
“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”
“Veep”
“Westworld”

I don't even watch half of the above--some because I don't have time, others because they didn't strike me. But that's the point--there is so much out there, everyone can find something.

And if you find all this "garbage", then perhaps your tastes have fallen out of date.
Not many water-cooler shows on that list - and that is a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV