Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I disagree. I give my cable company over $3K per year. Some of that is for high speed internet and some for phone. But I do have the premium package with HBO, Show Time and Star. When I could go to the video store and buy what I wanted to see; I had more choice. Giving people garbage to watch is no choice. Repeating over and over again the same movie is not a choice.
That's your opinion, but I believe most people would disagree with you. There are so many great series available, whether you like drama, comedy, historical pieces, yada.

Look at the Emmys last night, and look at some, just some, of the shows nominated:

“American Crime”
“Atlanta”
“Better Call Saul”
“Better Things”
“Big Little Lies”
“black-ish"
“Fargo”
“Feud: Bette and Joan”
“Genius”
“Grace and Frankie”
“House of Cards”
“How to Get Away With Murder”
“Master of None”
“Modern Family”
“Mom”
“Ray Donovan”
“Sherlock: The Lying Detective”
“Silicon Valley”
“Stranger Things”
“The Americans”
“The Crown”
“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”
“The Night Of”
“The Wizard of Lies”
“This Is Us”
“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”
“Veep”
“Westworld”

I don't even watch half of the above--some because I don't have time, others because they didn't strike me. But that's the point--there is so much out there, everyone can find something.

And if you find all this "garbage", then perhaps your tastes have fallen out of date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's your opinion, but I believe most people would disagree with you. There are so many great series available, whether you like drama, comedy, historical pieces, yada.

Look at the Emmys last night, and look at some, just some, of the shows nominated:

“American Crime”
“Atlanta”
“Better Call Saul”
“Better Things”
“Big Little Lies”
“black-ish"
“Fargo”
“Feud: Bette and Joan”
“Genius”
“Grace and Frankie”
“House of Cards”
“How to Get Away With Murder”
“Master of None”
“Modern Family”
“Mom”
“Ray Donovan”
“Sherlock: The Lying Detective”
“Silicon Valley”
“Stranger Things”
“The Americans”
“The Crown”
“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”
“The Night Of”
“The Wizard of Lies”
“This Is Us”
“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”
“Veep”
“Westworld”

I don't even watch half of the above--some because I don't have time, others because they didn't strike me. But that's the point--there is so much out there, everyone can find something.

And if you find all this "garbage", then perhaps your tastes have fallen out of date.
It is very possible? It isn't that I do not see some of these programs when my wife watches them; it is just that I would not waste my time on my own watching them. I do not think that it is my taste has fallen out of date; I think it is more because of how many movies and programs I have seen in my 70 years. I was more interested in watching TV when I had three channels back in the 1950's. The video stores had my interest when we had many products to chose from; but that is not the case without repeating material that has been aired over and over again.

I also do not like to watch sports. I enjoyed participating in my younger days; but I have no interest in watching others (since I am not participating).

You just have a hard sell here; especially when you say something for everybody!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It is very possible? It isn't that I do not see some of these programs when my wife watches them; it is just that I would not waste my time on my own watching them. I do not think that it is my taste has fallen out of date; I think it is more because of how many movies and programs I have seen in my 70 years. I was more interested in watching TV when I had three channels back in the 1950's. The video stores had my interest when we had many products to chose from; but that is not the case without repeating material that has been aired over and over again.

I also do not like to watch sports. I enjoyed participating in my younger days; but I have no interest in watching others (since I am not participating).

You just have a hard sell here; especially when you say something for everybody!
I don't watch sports either. Very little interest.

You keep saying "repeating material". I read somewhere that between broadcast, cable and streaming, there was over 6,000 hours of new scripted (not reality, not sports) material aired. You would have to watch sixteen hours a day to see it all!

And even if you only liked 10 percent of the new stuff, that's a couple hours a day to watch.

Again, I will posit that if someone says "there is nothing on to watch", they have fallen out of step with today's culture.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they need to admit it.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
I don't watch sports either. Very little interest.

You keep saying "repeating material". I read somewhere that between broadcast, cable and streaming, there was over 6,000 hours of new scripted (not reality, not sports) material aired. You would have to watch sixteen hours a day to see it all!

And even if you only liked 10 percent of the new stuff, that's a couple hours a day to watch.

Again, I will posit that if someone says "there is nothing on to watch", they have fallen out of step with today's culture.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they need to admit it.
How many sequels have you ever watched where you thought the sequel was better? I am not saying that I have never seen one better; but I do not remember (perhaps senility). If I know what is going to happen; I do not want to watch.

It's like watching the reality programs (that you don't like either). We know that they will all get drunk and cheat on each other and make fools of themselves. That is what they get paid to do; it would not be interesting if it was 'real' and they simply went to work and made a living. They are predictable because of what is expected to keep their ratings.

My wife and son are the opposite. If we are watching a program together I do not have to hear every word. If it gets too boring; I will go to the kitchen or bathroom and they can continue to watch. On the other hand they have to stop the VCR/DVD recording or whatever to hear every last word. It is simply not that important to me unless I am surprised like the GOT Little Finger death. The writers set us up to suspect Arya and Sansa would battle it out. That is when I do appreciate good scripts.

I am also not impressed by high definition. I like original ideas for the time period like the old 'Forbidden Planet'. Heck; we could see the flying saucer on a string and it did not make any difference because it was new ground at the time. There was this idea of a machine that would produce anything the aliens ever thought about (kind of like 3D printing today) - but it was way ahead of it's time.

I still do not think I am as much out of step as I am simply bored. I was entertained with the VCR rentals and I don't think of myself as entertained today. I do think of myself as more annoyed than entertained! After turning on the TV listings for tonight; I will stay on my computer with the Weather Channel playing in the background!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I am also not impressed by high definition.

I still do not think I am as much out of step as I am simply bored.
And we have our answer!

Seriously, anyone who says they don't care about HD is out of step. The picture is magnitudes better than the old SD days.

You don't like HD, you are bored by the 500+ new series available these days, you'd rather watch the Weather Channel... my job is done here. Enjoy!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
And we have our answer!

Seriously, anyone who says they don't care about HD is out of step. The picture is magnitudes better than the old SD days.

You don't like HD, you are bored by the 500+ new series available these days, you'd rather watch the Weather Channel... my job is done here. Enjoy!
I don't care about HD ... but I am current on my TV show preferences. I watch plenty of new series. I just don't care whether it's SD or HD. I enjoy them either way.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
How many sequels have you ever watched where you thought the sequel was better? I am not saying that I have never seen one better; but I do not remember (perhaps senility). If I know what is going to happen; I do not want to watch.

This is debatable for some. Alien/Aliens is one where most people think the sequel was better. I don't because I saw Alien in the theater on opening day. Had no idea what was going to happen. Super suspenseful that way. In Aliens, you pretty much knew what the monsters were going to do in general just on a larger scale. If you ever come across someone who does not know the franchise, have them watch the two movies in proper order and see what their opinion is.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I hope you don't really believe that.
Well, you got me looking on Ebay for Edison Wax Cylinder machines, and they go for around 300 to 600 bucks so I might have a long wait in getting the G money out of my Teac double cassette deck. I figure to do much better with my Craig Pioneer 8 Track player, it will soar someday, it has left and right microphone input jacks, analog DB meter, it records onto tape via left and right RCA input/output jacks. It has an oak case and steel chassis, a very heavy and well built machine. It has been in the family since 1975 and I shall never part with it, it's even more precious to me than my handheld Merlin and Coleco Galaga game, but not as valuable as my 1981 Sony boombox which also has RCA input jacks and I installed a new belt for the cassette deck last year, it still works good and has short wave band too, so I can check the correct time the old fashioned way, from Coordinated Univeral Time via station from Boulder Colorado, as I did in the pre cell phone days to set my watch.

Just some tips about blank DVD's, I never bother buying individual cases or sleeves for each disc. I buy a 50 pack of blank discs and after recording on them, put them back in the plastic case they came in. You must use a special marker pen to label them, as the acid in regular magic markers will eventually ruin the disc. I label each case with letters, A, B, C, D, E, F, and now I'm on case G. As I load each case with newly recorded discs, I label each one in sequence A-1, A-3, A-5, A-7..........until I fill it up. As I do so, I make a word file on my computer so I have an index for each case, and can find any of my movies very fast that way. Later on, I used Handbrake program to convert those discs into MP4 files and they fit easily in my 2TB external hard drive. If you use that program, make sure to select mono if the recording was made with a mono VHS machine, otherwise you get sound distortion, and use the volume boost too, if the sound level is too soft.

Case G will soon be full, as DVR #1 is choked full of the later 80's and 90's Columbo episodes I got off ME Tv, and DVR #2 has the last 5 seasons of King Of The Hill, to go with the previous seasons I already have on file.

Last edited by mofford; 09-18-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 11:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Too bad I need a 10 year old to show me how to use it.
That is not good. My 75 year old dad use it, my almost 4 year old use it. Its not complicated. Actually, its easier than using a VCR.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV