U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,641,450 times

Advertisements

Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?

What would it be like today if you had to record all of your favorite shows today with one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM

3,800 posts, read 3,429,050 times
I thought I would, but no. On-demand makes that a thing of the past for me.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
No.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,738,389 times
The DVR is far superior to VCR.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,795,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
The DVR is far superior to VCR.
Too bad I need a 10 year old to show me how to use it.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:31 PM

7,145 posts, read 7,584,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I can imagine that "Record" button can be a real humdinger

Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Much easier than using a VCR.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:45 PM

1,230 posts, read 478,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Remember when you used a VCR to record all of your TV shows? Does anyone miss using those things?
I don't miss the VCR era at all because I never left it.

I have a roof antenna so I don't have to pay the thieves at the cable TV company.

The roof antenna is connected to 4 digital-to-analog converters, each in turn connected to a separate VCR.

I can tape up to 4 shows simultaneously and watch them on a 5th VCR in my TV room whenever I want and zap through the commercials.

If I want any other programming I go to youtube or the networks that stream video.

I do remember when VCRs were a couple of hundred each but for a long time now I've been picking up replacements at Goodwill for under $5 each and keep them as spares.

Thank you, all of you who donate your old VCRs to Goodwill.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 8,777,126 times
With the VCR you had control over what you could keep. With DVRs you don't own the shows you record, you just rent the viewing opportunity for a while. I'm sure there are additional fees you can pay that will allow you to keep shows longer, maybe even indefinitely, but the VCR was so simple and straightforward. I want to own my favorite documentaries, shows, and episodes, and not be subject to the whims of On Demand availability. I still have my collection of thousands of labeled and catalogued videotapes, and two VCRs, one with copying capability.

I realize that we are in a new era. Younger people frequently don't own CDs or books, let alone DVDs--they rely on the availability of everything they like/need on the Web, from music to movies to the "printed" word. Somehow the very idea of ownership of certain collectibles seems to have vanished with the easy access to information and entertainment on the Internet. That absolutely baffles me--how can people be so trusting that the digital culture of today will exist in the future? And how can you access important information/entertainment of the past if it is not available on the web? I have been used to researching, tracking down, and buying such items, sometimes going to paper and memorabilia shows to find them. Those shows are being discontinued, because nobody is buying those items anymore. A whole culture of pride in collections is disappearing. I want hard copies of everything that's important to me, and if it's documents, preferably on good paper. (In addition to that, I also keep digital copies on flash drives...). The only videotapes I have thrown out are taped copies of old favorite movies which I now own on DVD.

Guess you touched a nerve there, OP!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM

7,145 posts, read 7,584,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
With the VCR you had control over what you could keep. With DVRs you don't own the shows you record, you just rent the viewing opportunity for a while. I'm sure there are additional fees you can pay that will allow you to keep shows longer, maybe even indefinitely, but the VCR was so simple and straightforward. I want to own my favorite documentaries, shows, and episodes, and not be subject to the whims of On Demand availability. I still have my collection of thousands of labeled and catalogued videotapes, and two VCRs, one with copying capability.

I realize that we are in a new era. Younger people frequently don't own CDs or books, let alone DVDs--they rely on the availability of everything they like/need on the Web, from music to movies to the "printed" word. Somehow the very idea of ownership of certain collectibles seems to have vanished with the easy access to information and entertainment on the Internet. That absolutely baffles me--how can people be so trusting that the digital culture of today will exist in the future? And how can you access important information/entertainment of the past if it is not available on the web? I have been used to researching, tracking down, and buying such items, sometimes going to paper and memorabilia shows to find them. Those shows are being discontinued, because nobody is buying those items anymore. A whole culture of pride in collections is disappearing. I want hard copies of everything that's important to me, and if it's documents, preferably on good paper. (In addition to that, I also keep digital copies on flash drives...). The only videotapes I have thrown out are taped copies of old favorite movies which I now own on DVD.

Guess you touched a nerve there, OP!
I can see wanting something tangible but video tapes are horribly volatile. The media degrades horribly over the years and can be worn out simply from over playing. On top of everything else they take up huge amounts of space. Conversely I have hundreds of full tv series in digital format that only takes up the size of the hard drive they are on. There are backups of each as well.

You also make the statement of how people can trust that the digital culture of today will exist in the future. The irony of that is that the technology you are relying on currently no longer exists as VCRs are no longer manufactured. The beauty of today's digital files is they can always be converted into newer technology without degradation in quality..

None of that is meant to be a condemnation. Just a counter-argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV