U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:41 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,491,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Since you didn't think Big Little Lies deserved the win, which limited series were you expecting to win? The Night Of would have been the only other one I would have liked to see win.
Lonesome Dove, retroactively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Lonesome Dove, retroactively
That would have definitely topped the Oscars surprise ending from earlier this year.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
It was a personal favorite, I agree it was better than the nominated competition. That's faint praise. Tonight it won what - 3-4 major awards? That's not exactly a sweep.
It actually won 8 emmys and was nominated to 11. But some of those nominees were competing against eachother (Samira Wiley and Ann Dowd and directing awards) so basically they win all the categories they were nominated in AND they win the most important awards: best drama, best lead actress, best director, best writing, best supporting

So yeah, they sweep it

Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,944,887 times
Also, big little lies was very good. Not on the level of Handmaids but it was a great miniseries. The domestic abuse story of Kidman and Skarsgard was specially well done.

A very deserved winner too.

This year the Emmys were great. I was pleasantly surprised that they didnt throw the usual popularity contest awards and gave everything to stranger things, that got none. They went for quality this year

Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I thought Big Little Lies was an excellent book, and an even better mini series. Did you watch It?

The Handmaid's Tale was actually the big winner tonight. It s a very powerful show, based on a book written over 30 years ago. It's not just a hot topic of today, and will be relevant for years to come. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend signing up for a free trial of Hulu and watch the 10 episodes of season one. It was perfectly cast, perfectly acted, written, etc. it is definitely one of the best shows I've seen, and definitely the best show currently.
I'm a very old woman who was a young woman during the forefront of the feminist movement, I have fond memories of all things Atwood and of Handmaiden's Tale. She was a few years older than me but even so was an icon for me and my peers. It was one of my favorite of her books. I thought the tv show did it justice.

Fast-forward to the current era, I enjoy Liane Moriarty's works, including Big Little Lies. IMO, all her works are summer beach chick-lit reads. I wasn't blown away by either the book or the show. Without the Witherspoon/Kidman/Skarsgard factor, it would have been a Hallmark channel production.

That said, I started this thread with the hopes of generating this type discussion.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:11 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,493,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Yeah, it sucks when the shows you love lose
Which show would that be, this year?

I've been a Bill W fan since 1969. But James W, not so much.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM

1,220 posts, read 971,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
For the first time ever since i watch the Emmys, they got it right

The handmaids tale is miles above anything thats on tv. Beautifully shot, extremely profound and relevant. Sutil, disturbing and poetic. Acting was top notch.

All of it was a masterpiece.

Praise be
Under His Eye...

Old 09-18-2017, 07:02 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
Well I do remember Lonesome Dove the book. Don't think I watched the mini series but I don't remember War and Remembrance or Murders Among Us at all. So...suspect you have a point there.

But I'm not sure what or how you think things went wrong this year?

Handmaidens Tale seems like an acceptable winner for best series and best dramatic actress to me.

I fell asleep towards the end of the Emmy's last night but going through the list. I was sort of hoping Leslie Jones would get best supporting although I think McKinnon is super talented. Sort of like with Veep I get tired of seeing the same thing winning over and over even if deserving.

Isnt This is Us a sitcom dramedy? Not sure how an actor has enough to do in something like that to win Best Dramatic Actor over the likes of Hopkins but I haven't seen it.

Would have liked to see Grace and Frankie win something. I'm their demographic

It does seem Big Little Lies was a popular kid sweep and while I really enjoyed it I also loved Feud and think it should have won something, it was great.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,511,123 times
Other that Veep winning as usual, I was pretty happy with most of the winners. I love Veep, its a great show but I'm tired of it winning all the time.
I was happy Donald Glover and Atlanta got some wins.
Master of None won for writing which was well deserved for Aziz and Lena as the Thanksgiving episode was fantastic.
Elizabeth Moss was amazing in Handmaid's Tale as was Ann Dowd. I'm so happy they both won and that it won for best Drama.
Riz Amed won for Night Of and was the first Asian man to win an a lead actor category.
Sterling K Brown is great in This is Us and I wish that Ron Cephas Jones had won for his role as William. That man made me cry every time he was on the screen. He's just brilliant.
I was pretty happy House of Cards and the Crown didn't win for everything...I just wish the Emmy's would shake up the comedy category and give the award to Silicon Valley, Black-ish, Master of None or Atlanta. Silicon Valley and Black-ish are so underrated.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,511,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well I do remember Lonesome Dove the book. Don't think I watched the mini series but I don't remember War and Remembrance or Murders Among Us at all. So...suspect you have a point there.

But I'm not sure what or how you think things went wrong this year?

Handmaidens Tale seems like an acceptable winner for best series and best dramatic actress to me.

I fell asleep towards the end of the Emmy's last night but going through the list. I was sort of hoping Leslie Jones would get best supporting although I think McKinnon is super talented. Sort of like with Veep I get tired of seeing the same thing winning over and over even if deserving.

Isnt This is Us a sitcom dramedy? Not sure how an actor has enough to do in something like that to win Best Dramatic Actor over the likes of Hopkins but I haven't seen it.

Would have liked to see Grace and Frankie win something. I'm their demographic

It does seem Big Little Lies was a popular kid sweep and while I really enjoyed it I also loved Feud and think it should have won something, it was great.
This is us is drama not sitcom dramedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV