U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Isn't This is Us a sitcom dramedy? Not sure how an actor has enough to do in something like that to win Best Dramatic Actor over the likes of Hopkins but I haven't seen it.
Well considering there is no dramedy catagory, I think it fits perfectly fine in the drama category. For the most part, 60 minute shows are dramas and 30 minute shows are comedies.

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/f...ats-new-v1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM

18,894 posts, read 8,873,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Like I said in the OP, they didn't get it right this year.

Just one example: Big Little Lies was entertaining chic lit that laudably addressed domestic abuse and featured big Hollywood stars but in a few years the show and their performances will be forgotten. Much like Woods' and Hunter's 1989 performances. The former addressed alcoholism, the latter abortion rights. Both were hot topics of their time which resulted in Emmy wins. But seriously, does anyone remember either show or performance?
I think you don't get the Emmys (or for that matter, the Oscars). They're not about your personal preferences. You loved "Lonesome Dove". It didn't interest me in the least. The awards are not about what viewers like or watch -- that's the ratings. The Awards shows are about what the industry respects.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Other that Veep winning as usual, I was pretty happy with most of the winners. I love Veep, its a great show but I'm tired of it winning all the time.
I was happy Donald Glover and Atlanta got some wins.
Master of None won for writing which was well deserved for Aziz and Lena as the Thanksgiving episode was fantastic.
Elizabeth Moss was amazing in Handmaid's Tale as was Ann Dowd. I'm so happy they both won and that it won for best Drama.
Riz Amed won for Night Of and was the first Asian man to win an a lead actor category.
Sterling K Brown is great in This is Us and I wish that Ron Cephas Jones had won for his role as William. That man made me cry every time he was on the screen. He's just brilliant.
I was pretty happy House of Cards and the Crown didn't win for everything...I just wish the Emmy's would shake up the comedy category and give the award to Silicon Valley, Black-ish, Master of None or Atlanta. Silicon Valley and Black-ish are so underrated.
I hear a lot of people say they are obsessed with The Crown but I haven't watched. House of Cards has won enough.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:34 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,512,107 times
Quote:
I hear a lot of people say they are obsessed with The Crown but I haven't watched. House of Cards has won enough.
It's on my To-watch list but I never get around to it. House of Cards bored me to tears.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 AM

3,448 posts, read 1,494,034 times
Quote:
Has HOC ever won anything besides guest actor? Idr

Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,950,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Other that Veep winning as usual, I was pretty happy with most of the winners. I love Veep, its a great show but I'm tired of it winning all the time.
I was happy Donald Glover and Atlanta got some wins.
Master of None won for writing which was well deserved for Aziz and Lena as the Thanksgiving episode was fantastic.
Elizabeth Moss was amazing in Handmaid's Tale as was Ann Dowd. I'm so happy they both won and that it won for best Drama.
Riz Amed won for Night Of and was the first Asian man to win an a lead actor category.
Sterling K Brown is great in This is Us and I wish that Ron Cephas Jones had won for his role as William. That man made me cry every time he was on the screen. He's just brilliant.
I was pretty happy House of Cards and the Crown didn't win for everything...I just wish the Emmy's would shake up the comedy category and give the award to Silicon Valley, Black-ish, Master of None or Atlanta. Silicon Valley and Black-ish are so underrated.
Agreed. Love the thanksgiving episode in master of none. Though i never pay attention to comedy categoroes since the best ones on tv (its always sunny in philadelphia and broad city) have never been nominated.

Sterling Brown was really good in this is us and agree with Ron cepas jones...he was awesome as william!!

Alexis Bledel also won for Handmaids and i also thought she was brilliant....never knew Rory Gilmore could act that well

Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM

11,033 posts, read 6,574,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Has HOC ever won anything besides guest actor? Idr
It has won 7 Emmys, but mostly on the creative side (casting, cinematography,sound mixing, etc). It also won for outstanding directing in it's first season.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM

7,553 posts, read 7,981,754 times
I personally loved War and Remembrance (except for one casting issue) and loved the book. I thought Lonesome Dove was a bore. It's all matter of personal preference for what one chooses for entertainment.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM

9,801 posts, read 7,111,943 times
I used to watch award shows but they have become a platform for people to bash and make their personal political statements.

TV, music and movies are a way to escape the drama of real life but they keep bringing it all back to what is happening in this country and the world. NEWS FLASH We already know and have formed our own opinions and we don't care what you think.

The occasional jab at our elected is fun but when they go on and on it gets lame.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 AM

7,553 posts, read 7,981,754 times
I didn't see it either, but I heard that Sean Spicer made an appearance. Why? Might have been relevant if Melissa McCarthy was on stage with him doing her impersonation, but maybe he doesn't have much of a sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV