U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,502,290 times

Advertisements

Ever since Lonesome Dove was shut out in all the major categories, it's impossible for me to take the awards seriously.
That year (1989), War and Remembrance won best drama miniseries, Murderers Among Us won best writing, James Wood won best actor, Holly Hunter won best actress. Does anyone remember any of those?

Now consider Lonesome Dove's Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Angelica Huston, Diane Lane, and screenwriter Bill Wyttliff's masterful script that took the book to screen. All of whom were nominated but didn't win.

The Oscars and Golden Globes occasionally manage to get it right but the Emmys? Almost never, including this year.

`War And Remembrance` Leaves `Dove` In Dust At Emmys - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:42 PM

8,025 posts, read 3,889,408 times
Why is your thread title "2017 Primetime Emmys" when your thread has nothing to do with 2017 and is all about still being butthurt almost 30 years later?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Like I said in the OP, they didn't get it right this year.

Just one example: Big Little Lies was entertaining chic lit that laudably addressed domestic abuse and featured big Hollywood stars but in a few years the show and their performances will be forgotten. Much like Woods' and Hunter's 1989 performances. The former addressed alcoholism, the latter abortion rights. Both were hot topics of their time which resulted in Emmy wins. But seriously, does anyone remember either show or performance?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,954,791 times
For the first time ever since i watch the Emmys, they got it right

The handmaids tale is miles above anything thats on tv. Beautifully shot, extremely profound and relevant. Sutil, disturbing and poetic. Acting was top notch.

All of it was a masterpiece.

Praise be

Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM

997 posts, read 668,557 times
I haven't watched the Emmy in years, nor any other award show. I use to enjoy them but no more.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 PM

11,069 posts, read 6,583,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Just one example: Big Little Lies was entertaining chic lit that laudably addressed domestic abuse and featured big Hollywood stars but in a few years the show and their performances will be forgotten. Much like Woods' and Hunter's 1989 performances. The former addressed alcoholism, the latter abortion rights. Both were hot topics of their time which resulted in Emmy wins. But seriously, does anyone remember either show or performance?
I thought Big Little Lies was an excellent book, and an even better mini series. Did you watch It?

The Handmaid's Tale was actually the big winner tonight. It s a very powerful show, based on a book written over 30 years ago. It's not just a hot topic of today, and will be relevant for years to come. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend signing up for a free trial of Hulu and watch the 10 episodes of season one. It was perfectly cast, perfectly acted, written, etc. it is definitely one of the best shows I've seen, and definitely the best show currently.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 PM

It was a personal favorite, I agree it was better than the nominated competition. That's faint praise. Tonight it won what - 3-4 major awards? That's not exactly a sweep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
For the first time ever since i watch the Emmys, they got it right

The handmaids tale is miles above anything thats on tv.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:29 PM

3,448 posts, read 1,496,541 times
Quote:

Are you seriously dogging on the Bill W movie? That movie is shown all the time in rehabs and AA groups across the country. That movie has impacted a lot of people.

Alcoholism and abortion were hot topics "of their time"? Wth? Did both issues disappear and no one told me?

Yeah, it sucks when the shows you love lose but seriously I have never heard of anyone who held a grudge for 30 years, not even the actors who lost.

I don't think that Nicole will be forgotten. That performance made me realize how great she is, it was crazy good.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
It was a personal favorite, I agree it was better than the nominated competition. That's faint praise. Tonight it won what - 3-4 major awards? That's not exactly a sweep.
It won 8 awards, with 13 nominations. Some of the awards included Best overall drama, lead actress, support actress, guest actress, directing, and writing. So while it didn't sweep every major category for drama, it came pretty close.

The awards it didn't win was for casting, costumes, and visual effects.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 PM

Since you didn't think Big Little Lies deserved the win, which limited series were you expecting to win? The Night Of would have been the only other one I would have liked to see win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV