U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I saw that. Win the hill w/ all of our Vets' bloodshed, then give it up. Wow.

That's what Vets (on other thread) were saying. LBJ had so many restraints on what they could and couldn't do. From what they say, it was pretty ridiculous, to fight a war, but tie the hands of people trying to win it. And, the political way of seeing things was different from the Military way, which would have probably won it.
You learn a lot listening to those who fought it and have so much understanding of the history behind it.
Did you even watch this? How in tarnation would the military "win it"? By killing all the Vietnamese? To what end then? Those vets may know about winning battles but winning a war is a totally different thing. There is no possible way an invading outside army can "win" another nation's civil war unless it intends to conquer & enslave the populace or completely win over their hearts & minds to a foreign way of life, neither of which was going to happen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 04:12 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Did you even watch this? How in tarnation would the military "win it"? By killing all the Vietnamese? To what end then? Those vets may know about winning battles but winning a war is a totally different thing. There is no possible way an invading outside army can "win" another nation's civil war unless it intends to conquer & enslave the populace or completely win over their hearts & minds to a foreign way of life, neither of which was going to happen.
Go read the posts of the actual Vets that served in the War in the Political Forum under "Vietnam War" and ask them that question. I'd be interested in hearing their responses to you.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:22 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,206,602 times
Quote:
Japan was destroyed and conquered. Now they are a great country. The problem with Vietnam was the US went half-measured; They should have done with North Vietnam what they did in Japan. When faced with a stubborn enemy, the way to win is to completely destroy their military and their will to fight. Then provide assistance to rebuild. I am surprised America forgot the lesson learned from fighting and winning the war with Japan.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times
Japan attacked the U.S.A. & killed our citizens, that is the minor detail you are omitting. Unfortunately we did the same to VN, they didn't attack us, in fact they originally asked for our help, then we attacked them. Yes we could've gone over there & slaughtered most of them... to what end? To what glory? That we could pulverize a small country that didn't attack us at all & force the survivors to bend to our will? Pretty shameful notion & a big change from our country's past principles.

The war is over, no point in rehashing that time again. Have a good life.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 AM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 3 days ago)

14,418 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Japan attacked the U.S.A. & killed our citizens, that is the minor detail you are omitting. Unfortunately we did the same to VN, they didn't attack us, in fact they originally asked for our help, then we attacked them. Yes we could've gone over there & slaughtered most of them... to what end? To what glory? That we could pulverize a small country that didn't attack us at all & force the survivors to bend to our will? Pretty shameful notion & a big change from our country's past principles.

The war is over, no point in rehashing that time again. Have a good life.
I don't think the war will really be over until the last who remembers the time is gone. Then it will be an intellectual exercise, a what if like those you see ask about WW2. They are interesting, but not personal. My dad's generation, who fought on the battlefields and ships, didn't much deal in what ifs.

My family had me and my cousin, a year younger, and her two brothers, two and three years older than me. One was overweight, and the doctor when he had the medical found a heart problem that when fixed probably saved his life. My younger cousin's year came just after the draft was suspended. But should anything have happened to either of them, it would have been a waste.

My dad, who joined the navy at 16 because he wanted to serve his country, fought through the whole pacific front, and was disgusted by Viet Nam. He saw it as a politicians war, not one with any justification. My uncle, who made sure he was sooo conjested when he went for his draft exam he didn't fight in ww2, was all gung ho for Vietnam. It was a topic not discussed when visiting.

There is absolutely no glory is establishing that your weaponry is better than some little country's and claim victory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or