U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 05:12 AM

25,456 posts, read 23,285,366 times

Advertisements

really, really enjoyed the last show....never get to watch shows I dvr, until the next evening....but this show was so good....the show is giving us more insight into how autistic minds, might work....which is a work in progress, as far as our society is concerned....we know very little.

My girlfriend just found out her grandson is autistic....I told her, I think society are the ones with the problems and autistic kids are so very special.

One more thing....

When I join in a thread about discussions of TV programs, I'm not asking for critics and debbie downers....I like to ask others questions their perspectives and read their insights into the why's of the program.

what is it with people who always find a need to come into a discussion and complain any more...and complain at length?

really sick of it...if you don't like the show, don't watch it? easy....but to come in and rain on everyone else's parade who like the show, and are enjoying a discussion about it it, is just so wrong.

I believe our society needs to take another look at themselves. Long and hard, and start accepting special needs kids.

My cousin's autistic grand son, came home one day and said he wanted to die, b/c the kids were bullying him so badly. Kids don't do this, unless they get it from their parents....and it literally breaks my heart, how society treats these kids.

One woman told me, that the teacher was constantly complaining about her grand son, saying how he disrupts the class...and refuses to participate, and the woman explained to the teacher, that the child was bored...she suggested to the teacher, "What I do, is give him something more to solve, give him a challenge" The teacher refused.

Just b/c you have a college degree, doesn't mean you know it all....our society might learn something if we'd just listen and try to find the special gifts in these children, and then compliment those gifts....what I mean is, to help the child further develop in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,206,668 times
Love the show, both for the story lines & because of the actor (from Bates Motel) who plays the lead character.

The only thing that throws me off is that the adult behavior the Doctor character displays, which is seemingly on the autism spectrum, is not consistent with the behavior of the character as a young teen (before the death of his brother). Such trauma may produce PTSD, but I have never heard of autistic behavior (which almost always appears in very early childhood) resulting from trauma.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Love the show, both for the story lines & because of the actor (from Bates Motel) who plays the lead character.

The only thing that throws me off is that the adult behavior the Doctor character displays, which is seemingly on the autism spectrum, is not consistent with the behavior of the character as a young teen (before the death of his brother). Such trauma may produce PTSD, but I have never heard of autistic behavior (which almost always appears in very early childhood) resulting from trauma.
hmmmmm, don't mean to be contradictive, but believe the doctor as a child, was also autistic? Maybe border line autistic, but for me, it was evident? Never thought of that, or assumed otherwise, but you may be right?

For now, I'm still believing he was autistic from a very young child.

there are mild cases of it, which could have been made worse by such a traumatic event?

Old 11-01-2017, 07:41 AM

5,710 posts, read 12,824,018 times
I like the show and DVR it to avoid commercials. It is one of the few I find interesting or funny. I think the premise of the show is he has been autistic since birth which is one of the reasons the parents were abusive to him and the brother was his protector.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I like the show and DVR it to avoid commercials. It is one of the few I find interesting or funny. I think the premise of the show is he has been autistic since birth which is one of the reasons the parents were abusive to him and the brother was his protector.
which raises a huge question for me....if a child is autistic, or handicapped someway mentally, well, child abuse, is a huge traumatic experience, and could possibly hinder the child, being yelled at and hit all the time...certainly doesn't help the situation does it?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:21 AM

14,301 posts, read 20,557,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

He has been autistic his entire life. He didn't change because of drama.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
He has been autistic his entire life. He didn't change because of drama.
that's what I thought, but I am wondering, if trauma can indeed intensify the symptoms?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,175,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm still believing he was autistic from a very young child.
I'm quite certain we are meant to realize Sean was autistic from an early age. He didn't become autistic because his father mistreated him. His father killed the bunny and otherwise mistreated Sean because of his anger and exasperation at trying to deal with an autistic child. The father was probably an a$$hole in all areas of his life.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:12 PM

27,524 posts, read 44,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
which raises a huge question for me....if a child is autistic, or handicapped someway mentally, well, child abuse, is a huge traumatic experience, and could possibly hinder the child, being yelled at and hit all the time...certainly doesn't help the situation does it?
Shaun was born autistic
The only reason he doesn't seem as autistic as a younger person is that he wasn't talking as much
And most contact was with his brother
The person who posted he didn't seem to be as autistic MAYBE (TRIED TO EDIT AND MY CAPS KEY IS STUCK) didn't pay attention to the script requirements for how Shaun was supposed to "act"

Re this past episode
So there is a resident returning to the crash site--
Directing all the search activity
And goes into the DARK wooded area off the highway W/O a flashlight -- OK SHE HAD ONE BUT DIDN'T SEE IT IN HER HAND GOING IN...

Last edited by loves2read; 11-01-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 PM

27,524 posts, read 44,973,761 times
Why is my caps key stuck?
Anyone use ipad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or