U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 01:55 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Actually, it really annoyed me that the young doctor had such a short fuse with that drug addict patient. Yes, he was a racist shooter - I don't think doctors are allowed to choose only nice non-racist patients to treat; they're supposed to treat everyone - criminals, killers, also mouthy racists. I thought that doctors learned that in medical school.

I'm Jewish, and if I were a doctor and was assigned to treat someone with a big swastika; it would be very hard for me, but I would have to compartmentalize my anger, however justifiable it is, towards his prejudices and just concentrate on the patient's physical condition. I think that would be part of the job.
Yeah, that is part of being a professional (whatever)! I'm a Jewish librarian, and at my old library, we had a group of neo-Nazis who frequented our location... they were always polite and well-behaved, so I ignored the giant swastika tattoos/etc, and treated them like I would any other patron. The ONLY time I refused services was when they were requesting legal advice, for "detaining an illegal" (read: kidnapping a brown neighbor). But I referred them to the local law library instead, since I wouldn't give legal advice to ANYONE regardless of the alleged crime. It was a bit creepy, though, when one of them developed a crush on me - uhhh REALLY? I always wear a Star of David necklace, so it's not like he didn't have a clue I was Jewish.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this show too! Loved Freddie in "Bates Motel," and so far he's been great on this show imo.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-21-2017 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:42 AM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Actually, it really annoyed me that the young doctor had such a short fuse with that drug addict patient. Yes, he was a racist shooter - I don't think doctors are allowed to choose only nice non-racist patients to treat; they're supposed to treat everyone - criminals, killers, also mouthy racists. I thought that doctors learned that in medical school.

I'm Jewish, and if I were a doctor and was assigned to treat someone with a big swastika; it would be very hard for me, but I would have to compartmentalize my anger, however justifiable it is, towards his prejudices and just concentrate on the patient's physical condition. I think that would be part of the job.
doctors do learn to be that way in school, however, they are only human and emotions can always enter into the picture, depending on they're background, and what triggers memories....

Maybe doctors aren't allowed to choose only nice patients, but that doesn't stop anyone from being human....
period.

So, just b/c my teacher tells me not to like peanut butter, do you honestly think and believe that will be true to my nature from that point on?

Old 11-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I don't like all that fighting amongst doctors. If I were an intern or resident and a senior doctor talked to me in front of my coworkers like some of these do, I'd be so outta there. I realize without the drama and endless apologies, we wouldn't have much of a show, but honestly, it angers me to see people treated so badly. They should save it for private time, not in the middle of surgery, for Pete's Sake~!

I do like it that the doctors who treated Shaun so badly in the beginning are now respecting his opinions and asking for input.

Really, it would be hard to save someone with a big, black swastika. I mean, really...I guess it's good I'm not a doctor. I would turn my head and walk away.
I wonder if he'd been able, he would have refused to sigh on the dotted line, just because, since he got the last word that way.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:22 AM

21,429 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Good episode last night. I loved how in one scene Shaun's "mentor" (grandfather?) told Shaun some teaching words and you could see the info go into the brain, he analyzed it and then understood it (for him). The camera never left the eyes and you could see everything that was going on in his head. Great, great acting from Freddie Highmore.

I didn't like the preview of the next episode! Winter finale???? Man, it just found traction, IMO!! Tv stinks now.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I didn't like the preview of the next episode! Winter finale???? Man, it just found traction, IMO!! Tv stinks now.
Really?? I swear, we're lucky to get 10 new episodes (of any show) per season these days...modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 12-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: hijacking; let's leave politics out of this TV show

Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 PM

18,882 posts, read 8,860,357 times
I have a question about this last episode, which I thought was very well done.

I may have missed it, but I understand that the young lady had a biopsy done for possible throat cancer and that (until near the end of the episode) they lost the tissue sample, so it appeared she would have to have the surgery without knowing whether or not it was cancerous...thus making her voiceless. Why couldn't they just do another biopsy?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Because they excised the tissue they thought might be cancerous and took it OUT--
I have known biopsy cases where the tissue was sampled and a reading given before they completed the proceedure so they would know if further surgery was needed...
This was just staged that way to allow for Claire to have a 2nd story line--chasing down the sample--
IN A REAL OPERATING ROOM--I think the nurse would read out the name on the vial or sample jar that the tissue was going in ALOUD--it would be part of the process...so there was no mistake like the one in the show...

So either the person who is the "medical expert" on this show doesn't know about operating procedures or they/the writers ignored standard practice...
Things are much more controlled in surgery than they act like some times...

Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Because they excised the tissue they thought might be cancerous and took it OUT--
I have known biopsy cases where the tissue was sampled and a reading given before they completed the proceedure so they would know if further surgery was needed...
This was just staged that way to allow for Claire to have a 2nd story line--chasing down the sample--
IN A REAL OPERATING ROOM--I think the nurse would read out the name on the vial or sample jar that the tissue was going in ALOUD--it would be part of the process...so there was no mistake like the one in the show...

So either the person who is the "medical expert" on this show doesn't know about operating procedures or they/the writers ignored standard practice...
Things are much more controlled in surgery than they act like some times...
I gotta tell you, years ago, I had kidney stones, which passed, in the hospital, so the hospital took them to anaylize....however, they lost them...I was so angry....they thought perhaps the tests on the stones would tell us what was causing them.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 AM

25,334 posts, read 37,463,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really?? I swear, we're lucky to get 10 new episodes (of any show) per season these days... modcut
modcut

Great show!

Last edited by Beretta; 12-06-2017 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: quoted post edited

Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 PM

1,294 posts, read 470,895 times
This is actually a decent show that I just began watching and am playing catch up on the beginning episodes. I enjoy when Dr. Shaun Murphy figures out something--- visually it shows how he has came to that conclusion and shows a diagram with medicals words to educate the viewer. One negative would be some of the other actors don't have the same spirit as the main character, their not very likeable. (with the exception of the president Dr. Glassman who took Dr. Shaun under his wing and Dr. Claire.)

I really enjoyed the last episode where he helped the young boy from the Congo with heart abnormalities, very heart-warming episode. And not sure if it was mentioned but the episode where Chuck doesn't end up getting the liver transplant is pretty sad and I wondered how typical a committee would make that decision knowing the man was going to die without it.

Season finale is on tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or