U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 AM

25,469 posts, read 23,295,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Youíre welcome!

When that young guy thought he was going to die, and said, ďI had a good runĒ I broke down in tears.
boy you know it, he was a very brave young man. I so admire Asians, they raise a whole different breed of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM

27,535 posts, read 44,999,258 times
The issue w Shaun and Kalu are similar
Will they both be treated the same?
Kalu used force against another employee as did Shaun
Kalu IMO was the more egegious violation
Shaun told the dr and told him to leave him alone and Grossman just wouldnt back off
What does it take??
Kalu had no threat from the raunchy doc
He did that because he failed Claire initially
So that doc complained right away
But plenty of people saw Shaun --not in private locker room

Old 12-06-2017, 12:34 PM

18,920 posts, read 8,888,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just an FYI itís an unsaid rule in the television forum to use the spoiler function, common courtesy. However this is exactly why I donít open threads until I have watched the show!
How do you use the spoiler function?

Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM

254 posts, read 127,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How do you use the spoiler function?
It's the SHOW / HIDE icon.

Or you type the following using brackets instead of parentheses

(SPOILER) text goes here (/SPOILER)

Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM

18,920 posts, read 8,888,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
It's the SHOW / HIDE icon.

Or you type the following using brackets instead of parentheses

(SPOILER) text goes here (/SPOILER)
Thanks! I never even noticed that before.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just an FYI itís an unsaid rule in the television forum to use the spoiler function, common courtesy. However this is exactly why I donít open threads until I have watched the show!

Interesting mid season finale. I am enjoying this show much more than I thought I would. I agree I wouldnít want Shaun as a doctor. Itís surprising how awful his behavior is to patients and they just let it go.
Way back when, when it was concered a courtesy but a lot of people were new, on one of the boards which had linked messaging, had a star trek group which was very popular. It was commonly expected that should something surprising happen, it waits a day and you still put a spoiler. But in the tv newsgroup, a message got left the night star trek tng was shown... Didn't expect that, killing off Tasha Yar.....

A lot of people recorded the show and watched it later, and they were not pleased. The poster said they didn't know but some didn't believe them since they'd been posting for a while.

I of course watched it live and recorded it, but after that if it was a tv show or movie I hadn't seen, I waited to see it before reading it. I still do. But since some don't actually know, or don't care, best to wait to read. One board had a spoiler and non spoiler thread too, where if you couldn't wait a day to start talking about it you could, but if you didn't want to be spoiled, you wouldn't be.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Personally--I watch a show because I enjoy it not because I have to watch it w/o knowing how the episode evolves---I can watch it even if I know there is a huge surprise that I heard about before--
I don't use spoiler blockers--
I think when someone knowingly comes to a forum that is discussing a particular show or movie you are there to discuss and read others' perceptions
Why do that if you haven't see the latest show when you KNOW people are going to be discussing it?
Reading a review of a show or movie normally does involve depending on the reviewer NOT to reveal important plot/character twists--that is fine--but we aren't reviewers--we are fans

If you can avoid the show---avoid the forum...
Why come here vs watching the show we are discussing
That is asking all runners in a race to keep pace with someone on crutches...

Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 AM

368 posts, read 209,341 times
Time to move on from the spoiler discussion and get back to the topic of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The issue w Shaun and Kalu are similar
Will they both be treated the same?
Kalu used force against another employee as did Shaun
Kalu IMO was the more egegious violation
Shaun told the dr and told him to leave him alone and Grossman just wouldnt back off
What does it take??
Kalu had no threat from the raunchy doc
He did that because he failed Claire initially
So that doc complained right away
But plenty of people saw Shaun --not in private locker room
This is an excellent point, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. If Shaun gets special accommodations for his disability, how is he able to become a full-fledged surgeon?

Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM

25,469 posts, read 23,295,635 times
My 2 cents are this....
I know Shaun right now is feeling smothered....
however, he is also not understanding, that knowledge is power and the more he knows and learns about his autistic inabilities along with his abilities will help him function better socially and intellectually down the road, but how can one explain that to him so he understands?

I can see both sides of this?

Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM

I think Shaun has been isolated from his peer group for decades--all his life really except for his brother's love apparently
So the idea that he is finally connecting with contemporaries and getting positive feedback and suggestions from them vs depending as he had for so long on the doctor/guardian (?) is just a process of maturation really--
All young people do that--break away from the adults who are their guides--
In Shaun's case that was arrested development because of his autism and his brilliance--
Even someone w/o Asperger's but with that type of IQ was not going to be readily accepted by peers...
What the Dr--I keep wanting to call his Toby--has forgotten or doesn't want to understand is that Shaun deserves to make some mistakes and take consequences
The doctor keeps saying Shaun needs to be "responsible" but he wants to control how Shaun does that (like he was a lab experiment) because he fears a bad decision will lead to negative consequences like his daughter suffered--
The doctor IMO needs counseling more than Shaun does--he has reacted just as irrationally as he blames Shaun for...
Shaun was trying to avoid conflict--Shaun hates conflict--when he understands he is causing it really--sometimes he is oblivious but he is becoming more empathetic to others' feelings...

MELENDEZ was more empathetic to Shaun's feelings in that episode than the mentor
That was a sea change since the start of the show...

And re the "rational explanation for why Shaun benefits"
I think if anyone else had made that suggestion Shaun might have seen the possibility but because of who was imposing it on him Shaun just saw that as more manipulation--
take this medicine because I SAY it's what you need--
The gamer's willingness to risk serious paralysis in order the save his life won Toby's approval but others thought that was reckless behavior for little guaranteed benefit
Shaun's behavior is about the same type of disregard for considered opinion--it is just the wrong person's opinion he is disregarding from Toby's POV...

Why didn't he ask Claire or even Melendez to talk to Shaun about the need for an interventionist??? Because HE doesn't want to give up control...
Now he has pushed Shaun into situation where his emotional outburst is going to put him on shaky ground with the hospital admin---and the doctor is part of the problem so he can't be involved in the solution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or