Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think Shaun has been isolated from his peer group for decades--all his life really except for his brother's love apparently
So the idea that he is finally connecting with contemporaries and getting positive feedback and suggestions from them vs depending as he had for so long on the doctor/guardian (?) is just a process of maturation really--
All young people do that--break away from the adults who are their guides--
In Shaun's case that was arrested development because of his autism and his brilliance--
Even someone w/o Asperger's but with that type of IQ was not going to be readily accepted by peers...
What the Dr--I keep wanting to call his Toby--has forgotten or doesn't want to understand is that Shaun deserves to make some mistakes and take consequences
The doctor keeps saying Shaun needs to be "responsible" but he wants to control how Shaun does that (like he was a lab experiment) because he fears a bad decision will lead to negative consequences like his daughter suffered--
The doctor IMO needs counseling more than Shaun does--he has reacted just as irrationally as he blames Shaun for...
Shaun was trying to avoid conflict--Shaun hates conflict--when he understands he is causing it really--sometimes he is oblivious but he is becoming more empathetic to others' feelings...

MELENDEZ was more empathetic to Shaun's feelings in that episode than the mentor
That was a sea change since the start of the show...

And re the "rational explanation for why Shaun benefits"
I think if anyone else had made that suggestion Shaun might have seen the possibility but because of who was imposing it on him Shaun just saw that as more manipulation--
take this medicine because I SAY it's what you need--
The gamer's willingness to risk serious paralysis in order the save his life won Toby's approval but others thought that was reckless behavior for little guaranteed benefit
Shaun's behavior is about the same type of disregard for considered opinion--it is just the wrong person's opinion he is disregarding from Toby's POV...

Why didn't he ask Claire or even Melendez to talk to Shaun about the need for an interventionist??? Because HE doesn't want to give up control...
Now he has pushed Shaun into situation where his emotional outburst is going to put him on shaky ground with the hospital admin---and the doctor is part of the problem so he can't be involved in the solution...
Your right, well done! Thank you
One question though, regarding your last sentence....

Quote:
Now he has pushed Shaun into situation where his emotional outburst is going to put him on shaky ground with the hospital admin---and the doctor is part of the problem so he can't be involved in the solution...
It is so difficult to be a parent, you only want to help your children avoid the mistakes you've made, but, in doing so, forget, the life lessons you learned....therefore, in Shaun's case, I believe he felt smothered by the doctor a long time ago, and it was building up in him to the point where he simply had to leave, and now, this is a huge awakening for the doctor.

Felt so bad for Shaun when he had the emotional meltdown....so bad...why? I can relate due to my MS. Actually made me cry tears of joy to know that others experience the same, though, I don't hit myself....but do definitely have them. I called them short circiting. I cannot be smothered, that really upsets me....and while I love advice, if it's done in a nice way, I can't be pushed....into living up to the expectations of others. So I know what Shaun is going thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Reason I asked is, I have MS, and when I become overwhelmed by a situation that I cannot control, I have these meltdowns. Doesn't happen often, but it feels like a short circuit, where I cannot control my emotions, and become over emotional....screaming, crying, fast heartbeat, etc. It only happens once in a great while....but it's in moments where I cannot control...like for instance, if the hot water heater breaks, etc. I try talking to myself, and getting back on track, and it usually works, but once in a great while I do short circuit. I've never been physical with myself or anyone else, however, I know how that feels.
PBA are the initials for the meltdowns people with neurological maladies such as MS sometimes experience. Google Danny Glover and drug comercial and you can find out about this.

I have had MS for 34 years and have had an occasional outburst of crying due to stress.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,031 times
Does anyone follow the Korean version? Wanted to know if the stories are similar to the US version or the stories completely different?

Old 12-09-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Does anyone follow the Korean version? Wanted to know if the stories are similar to the US version or the stories completely different?
I have wondered the same thing. Someone in the beginning of this thread said the Korean show was brutal compared to our show. I'm too lazy to see if I could find the Korean version.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:18 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have wondered the same thing. Someone in the beginning of this thread said the Korean show was brutal compared to our show. I'm too lazy to see if I could find the Korean version.

I would not be surprise. Korean are famous for tear jerkers. The limited TV shows that I've seen from Korea aka (K-drama), it never ends well for the hero. The ending is always super tragic.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:26 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Here is the link to the original, the Korean version.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4306/Good_Doctor/

I started watching it because the lead actor was amazing. But the rest of the medical staff was always hitting, bullying or slugging him and I couldn't keep watching.

And I usually love K-dramas. This one was unusually disturbing.

Last edited by mic111; 12-09-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 PM

50,757 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think Shaun has been isolated from his peer group for decades--all his life really except for his brother's love apparently
So the idea that he is finally connecting with contemporaries and getting positive feedback and suggestions from them vs depending as he had for so long on the doctor/guardian (?) is just a process of maturation really--
All young people do that--break away from the adults who are their guides--
In Shaun's case that was arrested development because of his autism and his brilliance--
Even someone w/o Asperger's but with that type of IQ was not going to be readily accepted by peers...
What the Dr--I keep wanting to call his Toby--has forgotten or doesn't want to understand is that Shaun deserves to make some mistakes and take consequences
The doctor keeps saying Shaun needs to be "responsible" but he wants to control how Shaun does that (like he was a lab experiment) because he fears a bad decision will lead to negative consequences like his daughter suffered--
The doctor IMO needs counseling more than Shaun does--he has reacted just as irrationally as he blames Shaun for...
Shaun was trying to avoid conflict--Shaun hates conflict--when he understands he is causing it really--sometimes he is oblivious but he is becoming more empathetic to others' feelings...

MELENDEZ was more empathetic to Shaun's feelings in that episode than the mentor
That was a sea change since the start of the show...

And re the "rational explanation for why Shaun benefits"
I think if anyone else had made that suggestion Shaun might have seen the possibility but because of who was imposing it on him Shaun just saw that as more manipulation--
take this medicine because I SAY it's what you need--
The gamer's willingness to risk serious paralysis in order the save his life won Toby's approval but others thought that was reckless behavior for little guaranteed benefit
Shaun's behavior is about the same type of disregard for considered opinion--it is just the wrong person's opinion he is disregarding from Toby's POV...

Why didn't he ask Claire or even Melendez to talk to Shaun about the need for an interventionist??? Because HE doesn't want to give up control...
It seems as if you’re forgetting that there was only one professional staff member that fought for Shaun to be on the staff -- Dr. Glassman. And if Shaun fails badly, Glassman could get canned. So there’s sort of a vested interest there. And if he gives up “control”, then who is controlling a person who does not have self-control?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I would not be surprise. Korean are famous for tear jerkers. The limited TV shows that I've seen from Korea aka (K-drama), it never ends well for the hero. The ending is always super tragic.
Oh no, I don't like the sound of no happy endings for the hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Here is the link to the original, the Korean version.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4306/Good_Doctor/

I started watching it because the lead actor was amazing. But the rest of the medical staff was always hitting, bullying or slugging him and I couldn't keep watching.

And I usually love K-dramas. This one was unusually disturbing.
Thanks! I will check this out.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:45 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh no, I don't like the sound of no happy endings for the hero!

Thanks! I will check this out.
This is off topic but many do have a happy ending. If you don't mind subtitles and have never seen one this one is good as a love story with medical and war.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/462...ts_of_the_Sun/

I really like this one as a possibility to be remade by Hollywood. I thought I read somewhere that it was going to be. A fun watch.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/432..._Another_Star/

This one is about a female action star and very well acted.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/3875/Secret_Garden/

Great historical drama of a queen and is for those who love a really long story.
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/56/Queen_Seon_Duk/

You can add the dramafever channel to your roku and watch on your TV.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
This was my favorite episode. I loved Bobby the patient pushing Shaun. And Shaun rising to the task. Also him directly standing up to the other Dr when he said he has good ideas and bad ideas. As a VIP, he can do that.'Well this was a good idea that you dismissed'. Yo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV